BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

06-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #243
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I just wanted to do an update since my last post. I am now down 20lbs in the last 3 months. The weight loss is not super fast but it has been very steady. It's also a very doable "diet" for me that I can continue indefinitely.

While I am not hardcore about my carbs, like I still put a little sugar in my coffee, I have milk sometimes, maybe a little sweet sauce on something etc. I do not eat the big stuff like rice, pasta, bread etc. However I have found that after a certain amount of time of eating that way I start to feel like I'm getting sick and obviously with the whole covid19 stuff I get a little worried. I have found that eating carbs helps me when that happens so I have incorporated it into my "diet". I will allow myself 1 day to eat carbs. Typically it's just a matter of adding rice to my meals that day (I love rice), but sometimes I do go "crazy" and have a pizza or something. Although that's only happened maybe twice since I started. Even when I let myself eat carbs I still try not to go crazy.

Anyways it is working well for me and we'll see how far it goes. I will keep doing this until the weight loss stops and I guess re-evaluate and adjust what I'm doing at that point.
Sounds good. Hang in..
I love it when we reach our goals or working on goals
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #244
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternshade View Post
I've gone through all this struggle with a weight loss. Well, what worked really good for me was:
  • increase the NEAT activity and walking at least 8k steps daily
  • minimize regfined carbs or at least substitute wheat wherever is possible
  • maintain at least 3 hours between meals with no snacks

Also I've mentioned in another thread that I'm currently doing a 4 minute exercise every 3-4 hours.
Dummy it down. You're eating too much! Learn to how to weight and measure your food instead of guessing like everyone else. Lean towards 50% Protein and the rest carbs and good fat. Simple - Chicken, Turkey, Fish , Whey protein is usually needed. Tough to eat your body weight in protein for most but certainly doable as long as you meal prep. I cook for the entire week. Vary the meals a bit but I know exactly the amount calories I am intaking and more so my macros.

Solution - gradually eat 100 less than maintenance for starters. No results, then reduce by another hundred calories. Exercise at least 45 days a week LIFTING WEIGHTS. Think of building muscle instead of the usual cardio, cardio, cardio. Lifting is MUCH better once you get on a proven workout program. Go to www.bodybuilding.com and spend hours on this website. Everything and everything is there. This isn't rocket science so the problem is you. People in general are weak minded, uninspired, LAZY and yes, lazy. You have to figure our YOUR goal and go slow with this because it is life long journey.

Thing of gaining muscle, losing fat, weight will probably increase due to more muscle hence your body will gradually transfer and you will look and feel great! Get started.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:06 AM   #245
nialcoxworth
Registered
Rep
Drives: ŠKODA

Plan your diet
Eat breakfast
Keep healthy snacks on hand
Drink plenty of water
Take a walk before dinner
Reduce your salt intake
Start lunch and dinner with vegetables
Drive more
      07-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #246
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Plan your diet (include high amounts of healthy fats, moderate protein from animal sources, and low amounts of carbohydrates - avoid processed foods high in sugar, refined carbohydrates, and seed oils high in omega 6).
Skip breakfast.
Skip lunch.
Don't eat snacks.
Get plenty of electrolytes including salt.
Get off the couch/chair and get some exercise.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #247
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Get a divorce
Appreciate 2
JP102461.00
      07-07-2020, 02:36 AM   #248
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Oatmeal boiled with milk and banana or apple slices for breakfast.

4 slices of whole grain bread with some low fat slices of chicken/beef for lunch.

Just regular dinner whatever you want but just one plate, don't take any extras.

At least half an hour of cycling every day at your own pace

Don't eat nothing inbetween just drink water or black coffee or maybe a kiwi or fruit with high fiber.

Lost 10kg in few weeks...
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00
      07-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #249
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I just wanted to do an update since my last post. I am now down 20lbs in the last 3 months. The weight loss is not super fast but it has been very steady. It's also a very doable "diet" for me that I can continue indefinitely.

While I am not hardcore about my carbs, like I still put a little sugar in my coffee, I have milk sometimes, maybe a little sweet sauce on something etc. I do not eat the big stuff like rice, pasta, bread etc. However I have found that after a certain amount of time of eating that way I start to feel like I'm getting sick and obviously with the whole covid19 stuff I get a little worried. I have found that eating carbs helps me when that happens so I have incorporated it into my "diet". I will allow myself 1 day to eat carbs. Typically it's just a matter of adding rice to my meals that day (I love rice), but sometimes I do go "crazy" and have a pizza or something. Although that's only happened maybe twice since I started. Even when I let myself eat carbs I still try not to go crazy.

Anyways it is working well for me and we'll see how far it goes. I will keep doing this until the weight loss stops and I guess re-evaluate and adjust what I'm doing at that point.
That is great progress man, keep after it! Carbs are energy, so it's understandable that you feel a little sick after not having them for a long period of time, especially if you were a big carb eater in the past. I was the same when I did a keto diet, lack of energy an nausea was common for me because my workouts were pretty intense. Over time this will dwindle, refeading carbs once a week is perfectly fine.

With all that said, I eat an abundance of carbs daily. As you begin to learn how your body reacts to different diets you will be able to find the best one for you. There is no perfect method for a mass of people. I see a lot posting certain diets/methods to follow, but bottom line is the work better for some and not so great for others. Continue to experiment and progress. Be diligent in how your body reacts.

Be proud of that amount of weight loss too, nothing to scoff at. Losing the weight over a longer period of time, you'll have less of chance to gain it back. A lot will do short "intense" diets, lose a solid bit of weight, but in the long run it doesn't hold.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
      07-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #250
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Get a divorce

hahhahaha.
With that you lose everything
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #251
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
hahhahaha.
With that you lose everything
Yeah real funny.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #252
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
The most common suggestion on this thread is - eat less.

That sums it up. Forget "programs".
Appreciate 1
Noneya251.50
      07-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #253
incube
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
The most common suggestion on this thread is - eat less.

That sums it up. Forget "programs".
For sure, but don't starve yourself or you'll be fine for some time but then having a really tough time and high risk to get all weigh back and even more.

For me, the easiest way was counting calories, was eating everything (more often I grill veggies and beef), had a great mood. Now I know my limits and never overeating.

Last edited by incube; 07-13-2020 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00
      07-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #254
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
For sure, but don't starve yourself or you'll be fine for some time but then having a really tough time and high risk to get all weigh back and even more.

For me, the easiest way was counting calories, was eating everything, had a great mood. Now I know my limits and never overeating.

Of course. Suggestions to starve aren't common on this thread, so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #255
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

I am almost 50. I have been a "Gym Rat" since I played ball in High School. I have done a bit of everything except surgery.

The older you get. The Harder it will be to lose weight and maintain a nice physique... MUCH harder! But it can be done and I have maintained a good physique for my age no question. How do I know? Well... I am my own biggest critic. My lovely wife would NOT have it any other way. And when people mistake me for being in my mid 30s regularly, I know I am doing something right.

To answer your question:

Your calorie intake MUST be reduced and or burn more than you consume.
Intermediate Fasting is VERY effective: For me, little to no Dinner is effective.
Eliminate SUGAR!!! Limit simple carbs like bread, potato, rice, pasta to morning or afternoon meals: Do NOT eat them after 2pm.
A combination of Strength Training and Cardio is a must.

Above all else... DISCIPLINE to follow the above.
      07-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #256
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

DISCIPLINE is must
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #257
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
DISCIPLINE is must
Absolutely. Without discipline it’s an uphill battle with possibly low reward center functionality.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #258
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I have trouble sleeping and am generally fit and a friend recommended the Whole 30 program. For 30 days, you eliminate alcohol, sugar, processed food and dairy. I ended up feeling a little better and I lost 12 pounds. I'm a runner and I didn't have the energy to run after ten days so be careful if you try it. Since then, I'm more careful with what I eat and my body fat is much lower than it had been. You would be surprised what happens when you watch what you eat and exercise regularly.
      07-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #259
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I have trouble sleeping and am generally fit and a friend recommended the Whole 30 program. For 30 days, you eliminate alcohol, sugar, processed food and dairy. I ended up feeling a little better and I lost 12 pounds. I'm a runner and I didn't have the energy to run after ten days so be careful if you try it. Since then, I'm more careful with what I eat and my body fat is much lower than it had been. You would be surprised what happens when you watch what you eat and exercise regularly.
I've heard of the Whole 30 program, and know people that have tried it. With that said it doesn't really interest me. Sugar is only bad for you in excess, it's a great catalyst and supports muscle growth. Everything in moderation has always been my moto, with exceptions to the weekends where I often derail haha. Especially if you are a long distance runner, I can only see negatives in regards to eliminating sugar. I can definitely see how that diet helped you lean out, especially if exercising regularily. When you deprive your body it results in burning fat storage, as well as muscle. So I'm fairly certain some of that weight loss was also some muscle, not a bad thing, but just is what it is. This really happens regardless of the diet you choose because you're depriving your body. You can't cut and strive for muscle growth at the same time (without enhancement), it doesn't work that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #260
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Whole 30 diet is a "diet" that basically is an elimination diet. In the food science world, we would consider this to be a Low FODMAP diet or food elimination diet which it is.

Eliminate anything that is known for high reactions/inflammations in people and after 3-4 weeks you reintroduce those foods one by one to see if you have a sensitivity to anything. As much as I hate the Kardashians, Khloe lost weight as she gave up dairy. That could have been due to her eating excess energy from dairy products OR she was inflamed and without the presence of dairy, she lost water weight.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:20 AM   #261
atzepeng1984
Rep
Drives: X1 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
Figure out your daily maintenance (CALORIE COUNTER), plug in your age, height , gender, daily exercise level and you get a good idea of calories to maintain your current weight.

Drop calories by 100 first week, reassess, same weight, lower by 200 calories, reassess, do this until you start losing weight just so you know where you actually are in daily calories. If you get this wrong you will fail every time. Start lifting, do very little cardio (waste of time), build muscle burns more fat!!! You look much better, more tone and get stronger.
Totally agree with this! Now I don't know about the absolute exact number of calories you should drop, but I can definitely definitely recommend using a calorie counter -there's countless easy to handle apps for this- it makes all the difference. When I started losing weight I just had no idea what amount I was meant to eat, what amount I actually ate and what types of food would take up my fool daily limit in like half an hour.
Losing weight is a real challenge cuz it means changing your life style (if you wanna lose loads) you're gonn ahve to learn a lot about yourself. Calorie tracker for me was one of the simplest yet most effective things on the way!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #262
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Everyone has made a ton of great suggestions. I can chime in here on something that truly stuck with me a long time ago after a ton of research which is the 90/10 rule. 90% of your entire weight loss goal is related to food and only 10% is related to the workout portion. This has a lot to do with why people start working out and don’t lose weight so they quit. Well that’s only 10% of it, it is mostly related to what you eat. I am 5’7 and about 115 lbs. I know I know that’s crazy, I am a competitive runner and average about 60-75 miles of running a. Week.

I will tell you though just because I run a lot, I could eat almost anything I wanted but I don’t. Food is your performance and energy, so I try to always keep it on point.

Something for you I would watch is all the animal products. I’m not saying all animal products are bad as I eat them too but I eat them in moderation. Meat is always my smallest weighted item on my plate while vegetable, fruits and REAL grains and beans out weigh everything. These are the vitamins and fuel you need. Too much animal products regardless of the cut of meat, type of meat etc is packed with lots of hidden salts and fats.

The advice is always give is to just eat clean, and I will say meat products, dairy and cheese are not exactly clean. Also look at the hidden calories you can find. A cheeseburger for example, sounds good sometimes. Did you know 1 Tablespoon of Mayo is 120 calories and the slice of cheese is another 120. Just taking those off makes it 250 calories less. Flavored coffee creamer....I see this one a lot, it has 50 calories in 1 Tablespoon. Crazy I know and I see people dump 8-10 TB os this stuff. So starting your day your coffee has more calories than your breakfast.

Just stay mentally strong, stay active to create that calorie deficit and you will succeed. And remember vegetables are basically free calories and energy at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #263
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I think that people overcomplicate the process. What are you eating habits? If it's processed foods, it may be time to eat more foods from the Produce Dept. Processed foods may be infused with vitamins and minerals but nothing replaces the natural sources. Weight lifting over cardio is not the way to do it either, it is a good way of building muscle but it does not improve ones cardiovascular health. Everyone's body responds a little different, it's important to find what combination works for you and make it a program that you enjoy and will stick with.
      09-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #264
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

It’s all diet, I can drop or gain 20lbs in a month with just my diet.

Two suggestions:

Intermittent fasting, as it sounds like you do this sometimes already. I did in college as it just worked out with my schedule for eating after my class.

Vegan, it’s what I’ve switched to for more energy, better health, and lower impact on the environment. Look at the studies but the data has shown this to be one of the most effective ways to lose weight and then KEEP it off. Also with this diet you can indulge as much as you want, as plant foods will fill you up quicker, and then take more calories to digest (a win, win).

Last suggestion if you want to be anal, cook your own food. Going out to eat leads to a lot of things cooked in oils/fats because it just tastes better. That stuff adds up quick when you’re trying to lose weight, and you can make it at home in a healthier and tastier way.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0