BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Looking to buy a Victorinox Swiss Army Watch

As the title states I am thinking about buying a Victorinox Swiss Army watch. I am a total watch noob and rarely ever wear one. I have a few cheap fashion watches that I wear occassionally when I go out, but recently I have been thinking about buying one as a daily wear. I would like a watch that is versatile enough to wear to work as well as in casual situations. I have thought about buying a higher end watch and like the Omega Speedmaster Professional and the Rolex Submariner. Although I could afford either of those, I'm really not a watch afficianado and can't justify spending that much money when I know that I won't even truly appreciate everything about those watches.

So I have ended up gravitating toward Victorinox watches. From what I understand they are a reputable company that makes quality watches that offer a lot for their price point. I also like that their watches are more understated and refined looking, as opposed to overly busy or flashy. I am also looking specifically at chronograph watches because I like a more sporty look, but at the same time I can see myself wearing them with a suit without any issue.

So I've narrowed it down to the following three watches and wanted to get your thoughts on which you think is best for my purposes. If any of you own or have expereince with any of these particular watches that would be great!

1. Chrono Classic Mens Watch 241443

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1UCZ1H86VJ5FG

I think I like this one the best of the three. It is the largest at 45mm case diameter, but I don't mind larger watches and somewhat prefer them. I also like the red accents. It is slightly on the busy side but I don't think overly so.

2. Victorinox Swiss Army Men's 241316 Chrono Classic Chronograph Black Dial Watch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2C2NAEH6JCJT9

This one is slightly smaller at 41mm case diameter. It is a slightly less busy face and although I prefer red accents, the yellow accents on this one look pretty sharp still. However, with a leather strap instead of a metal band, I wonder if this is a bit too much on the sporty side.

3. Victorinox Swiss Army Men's 241494 Black Dial Chronograph Watch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1KI2TR7SI3MAO

This one is the most "plain" of the three watches. It seems like a much more toned down version of the first watch. It is probably the safest choice, but I wonder if I will get bored of it after a while.

3b. Victorinox Swiss Army Chronograph Classic Black Strap Men's Watch - V241493

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1KI2TR7SI3MAO

Basically the same watch as #3 but with leather instead of a metal band.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Aren't they all the same watch, maybe with some different colors or straps/bracelets? They are all the Victorinix 241 model series, so I won't expect them to be functionally different.

This may sound ridiculous to you, but as you said you rarely wear a watch, I suspect that may not change. I know I wouldn't alter my routine habits just so I could wear a watch if I'd been getting on just fine without one.

With that thought in my mind, along with my sense that they are all the same watch, I'd say for now pick the least expensive one. That way, if your patterns don't change, you've not put too much money into a watch you don't wear. If you find yourself becoming a "watchie," you still haven't spent too much and you can always choose something more extravagant later if you want to.

Another reason why I say that is because at least several of them are quartz watches. In the price range you've targeted, quartz is quartz is quartz. No point in spending more unless you just want to pay for the styling of this one over that one. With quartz watches, the distinctions one can make differ from those to consider among mechanical watches, and even most of those distinctions are irrelevant and superficial unless one is considering pretty esoteric, unique or seminal movements/watches.

For someone who's just starting to get into the habit of regularly wearing a watch, quartz is a good way to start out and V-nox make as nice a one as anyone. They are accurate and reliable and easy to own, requiring little input from their owner.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I bought the model 241517 on impulse the other day. Jeweler gave me a decent price. Nice and simple face and not too big and bulky.

Lasted about 30 min before it stopped keeping time. Back to the jewelers where they found a loose screw. Works fine now.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Hey buddy, I sent you a PM, I have this one for sale. I'm open to offers. thanks!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=victorinox
Appreciate 0