BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up T-Mobile Will Pay Your Early Termination Fees From ANY Carrier (Up To $650!)

Damn!!! That is what I'm talkin about! I may actually jump ship. Not only because of this but because their Network is in Fact, THE fastest currently!

http://www.yahoo.com/tech/t-mobile-a...694409783.html

Quote:

With an appropriately cheeky name of Get Out of Jail Free Card, T-Mobile has announced that it will pay off early termination fees for customers who want to switch from other major carriers. This includes AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. The total value could be up to $650 per line when you add an eligible phone trade-in.

Here at CES, T-Mobile also announced that its 4G LTE network is the fastest in the U.S., now reaching 209 million people in 273 markets. The provider did its own testing using Speedtest.net, and it came out on top, with Sprint coming in last.

To help enhance its network, T-Mobile says it’s rolling out its Wideband LTE service to deliver even faster speeds to its customers. T-Mobile has debuted a few devices with Wideband LTE capability, including theLG G Flex, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 and Sony Xperia Z1s. More are likely to come soon.

During its press event, T-Mobile also announced that it added more customers than every other carrier combined in Q4 in 2013—1.6 million—thanks to the momentum of its Uncarrier strategy. In 2013, T-Mobile got rid of contracts, introduced its Jump phone upgrade plan and allowed customers to use data overseas for no extra charge.

As per usual, T-Mobile CEO John Legere took shots at the competition, but he backed up the bluster by announcing 4.4 million customers added in 2013. According to Legere, this makes T-Mobile the fastest growing wireless provider.
More: http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch...ation-fee.html
      01-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

T- Mobile is shit.

Thread over.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

To bad they have no service in 50% of the areas I visit and where I live. I have been considering getting a line just for overseas travel though but I usually just get a prepaid sim from the country I'm in...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
T- Mobile is shit.

Thread over.
Haha! Same can be said for AT&T or ANY carrier depending on location.
      01-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

First the AT&T thread and now this?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
To bad they have no service in 50% of the areas I visit and where I live. I have been considering getting a line just for overseas travel though but I usually just get a prepaid sim from the country I'm in...
Considered the same, but given the costs of getting the prepaid sim, it really wasn't worth it. If I would be able to get service from them where I typically conduct business in the US, I may have considered switching all together.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

All they are paying is for is the early termination fee? I want reparations on top of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
First the AT&T thread and now this?
Yep. Last I checked this was Off Topic....
      01-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Yep. Last I checked this was Off Topic....
It is, I'm not trying to chastise you, just curious about why you've posted two consecutive threads about incentives to switch carriers (maybe you work in mobile technologies or with satellites, etc). If I came across as rude I didn't mean to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
It is, I'm not trying to chastise you, just curious about why you've posted two consecutive threads about incentives to switch carriers (maybe you work in mobile technologies or with satellites, etc). If I came across as rude I didn't mean to be.
I appreciate the clarification.

Not at all. I am not affiliated nor work in the cellular industry.

I simply wanted to share what I believed to be good info others may use. I found it funny that T-Mo fired back or one-uped ATT.
      01-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I appreciate the clarification.

Not at all. I am not affiliated nor work in the cellular industry.

I simply wanted to share what I believed to be good info others may use. I found it funny that T-Mo fired back or one-uped ATT.
Informative threads that prove to have some utility for others are always welcomed.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
ailiffpai
Rep
Drives: bmw

I have been considering getting a line just for overseas travel though
      01-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

I'm currently with Verizon with two lines and called a T-Mobile store to get more info on this.

Apparently, they will mail you a Visa pre paid card in 8 weeks after you switch over. So technically you'd still have to pay your ETF (Early Termination Fee) and any other remaining bills before switching.

Also, have you noticed that they FINANCE phones?! What the heck is going on...They have a great marketing strategy for the uniformed. They say $0 down for a iPhone 5s but spread out the payments of the full retail price (~$650) over 24 months and if you end your service with T-Mobile prior to that 24 months, the remaining balance is due.

However, you are able to transfer your phone over but T-Mobile has a GSM network and I have a Verizon iPhone so I'm pretty sure my CDMA phone won't transfer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Yea. T-Mobile is fast. If you're still using 3G

01-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

lol nice find

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

This study was done in 2012. T-Mobile rolled out their 4G in 2013. I wonder what a current study shows among the major competitors now.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
This study was done in 2012. T-Mobile rolled out their 4G in 2013. I wonder what a current study shows among the major competitors now.
Where do you see that? They announced their 4G upgrade in 2010, with plans to roll out in 2011. Their LTE service rolled out in 2013. The image from the study I posted shows speeds on regular 4G only, which admittedly is obsolete, but still in use.

Nevertheless, ask and you shall receive. Data from tests done on LTE networks in 2013:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420333,00.asp

AT&T is faster, in almost every location.

Reading more into the study, they even go into the rural data testing. They say Verizon clearly wins because they are the only provider with National 4G LTE coverage. AT&T is planned to finish their national coverage by end of 2014. T-Mobile and Sprint aren't even close.

In every single area except one, AT&T is faster. Verizon wins rural/suburban.

So no, T-Mobile is not the fastest.

Last edited by Templar; 01-10-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

^^ I remember reading it a while back, but here is one source that was published in 7/2013:

http://www.pocketables.com/2013/07/t...t-is-done.html

T-Mobile was obviously late to the LTE game, only announcing its intent to upgrade to LTE in February 2012. One year later, in March 2013, T-Mobile announced that its LTE network was available in seven markets: Baltimore, San Jose, Washington D.C, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Houston. Fast forward four months to today, and T-Mobile LTE is now available in 116 metropolitan areas, covering 157 million people – that’s 57 million more people than its original goal.

But I could be confusing 4G and LTE. I thought they were the same thing. Either way, I'm sticking to Verizon!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

*For the record: I am NOT even on T-Mobile... Yet.*

But since others are attempting to somehow discredit the carriers "current 4G speeds" (because alot has changed just in the last few months. But if you're a techie, you know this) and or their network in general..

I'll just leave this here for the masses to decide if T-Mobile is a viable option. Note the DATE of the article.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cus...k=MW_news_stmp

Quote:
-- Customer Data Proves T-Mobile Network Now Fastest 4G LTE in the U.S.

Millions of customer speed tests using the popular Ookla Speedtest app prove T-Mobile LTE is fastest nationwide

LAS VEGAS - Jan. 8, 2014 - Carriers love to make claims about whose network is fastest or most reliable. The claims often sound the same because they're typically produced in much the same way - using highly paid industry consultants and drive test data.

T-Mobile US, Inc. TMUS -0.52% decided to take a more transparent path than the competition and use mobile data speed tests collected from real consumers[i] using the popular Ookla Speedtest app. T-Mobile's analysis of the results are clear, and the Un-carrier announced today that its nationwide 4G LTE network is the fastest in the country, according to millions of real-time speed tests involving more than 1 million consumers.

The company also revealed the continued rapid expansion of its nationwide LTE network to reach 209 million people, with 43 of the top 50 markets now served by 10+10 MHz LTE.

"Finally we agree with AT&T on something: Faster is better," said John Legere, president and chief executive officer of T-Mobile. "I warned the competition this day would come, and millions of speed tests from real people using their own phones prove it: T-Mobile's nationwide 4G LTE network is the fastest network in the nation - bar none."

According to actual test results performed by consumers on Speedtest, T-Mobile's nationwide 4G LTE network delivers not only the highest average network speeds of all U.S. wireless providers, with 17.8 Mbps, but also delivers more consistently fast 4G LTE speeds than any other carrier.

More customers than ever before can take advantage of these speeds because T-Mobile's continually expanding nationwide 4G LTE network now extends to 273 metro areas, including 95 of the top 100. T-Mobile's fastest nationwide 4G LTE network already outperforms the competition, and in areas with 10+10 MHz, T-Mobile has measured download speeds of up to 72 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 27 Mbps, including New York, Chicago, Miami and San Francisco. At those speeds, customers could download a 90-minute high-definition (HD) movie in five and a half minutes or a whole music album in 13 seconds.

"T-Mobile is laser-focused on giving customers the best network experience possible," said Neville Ray, chief technology officer for T-Mobile. "First we deployed nationwide LTE at breakneck speed, covering more than 200 million people in just six months. Now, we're adding more and more spectrum to this footprint and have commenced the launch of our Wideband LTE service, doubling already best-in-class speeds."

With the launch of T-Mobile Wideband LTE in North Dallas last November, T-Mobile beat another company milestone, delivering 20+20 MHz LTE ahead of 2014, which is capable of peak download speeds of 150 Mbps. T-Mobile has measured download speeds of 147 Mbps and uplink speeds of up to 40 Mbps in North Dallas, meaning customers could download a 90-minute HD movie in under three minutes or a whole music album in 7 seconds.

As the company continues to expand T-Mobile Wideband LTE, every T-Mobile customer with an LTE device will be able to experience a speed boost. In addition, customers with the latest LTE-capable devices, such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5 and LG G2 can take advantage of the maximum speeds available from T-Mobile Wideband LTE powered by 20+20 MHz LTE.

T-Mobile also announced several additions to its portfolio of devices that can take advantage of T-Mobile Wideband LTE at low upfront costs, including:

- LG G Flex - T-Mobile will launch the world's first curved, flexible smartphone[ii] from LG Electronics - the LG G Flex - which offers a more reassuring grip and fit as well as an outstanding voice and sound experience because the distinctively curved design follows the contour of the face. Pricing and availability will be shared soon.

- Samsung Galaxy Tab(R) 3 (7.0) - The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is the latest Android(TM) tablet in T-Mobile's 4G LTE device portfolio. T-Mobile customers receive 200 MB of free data each month with the Galaxy Tab 3 for as long as they own the tablet. The Galaxy Tab 3, which will cost $0 down with 24 equal monthly device payments of $13[iii], will be available online via www.T-Mobile.com beginning Jan. 9 and at participating stores on Jan. 15.

- Sony Xperia(R) Z1S - T-Mobile is again exclusively partnering with Sony to bring its latest flagship smartphone - the Xperia Z1S - to customers. The slim and durable smartphone features an outstanding 20.7 megapixel camera in a waterproof[iv] design with a 5-inch full-HD TRILUMINOS display. The Xperia Z1S will be available for $0 down with 24 equal monthly device payments of $22iii with a Simple Choice Plan. Pre-register to order the device today, with an online pre-sale kicking off Jan. 13 at www.T-Mobile.com and nationwide availability in participating T-Mobile stores and online starting Jan. 22.
Oh and: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Speed...nation_id51188

Just sayin...
      01-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #20
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
@FwdFtl - Yea, the earlier study I posted only shows regular 4G, not LTE.

Verizon is legit. Right behind AT&T in most speed tests, but offer much greater coverage than all the rest of the carriers combined. I live in the middle of nowhere in NC. When I make my trips to Raleigh I love the speed with AT&T and their 4G LTE there, but at my house I get regular 4G and it's relatively slow. Luckily I can just connect to WiFi at home But if I needed internet for some reason and my WiFi was down, I'd be pretty much SOL if I wanted to do anything other than view a webpage or something.

And about the above article, where are the real results? T-Mobile is posting their own picture saying their the fastest supposedly "from the customers." Sure

Actually look at the article I posted. Real results, real cities. Not just vague claims. Not to mention T-Mobile's coverage leaves a lot to be desired. The only company that currently has true nationwide LTE coverage is Verizon, end of story. I'd rather know the details of the test to verify their claims, instead of just believing the company because "they said so."

OP obviously works for T-Mobile (or owns stock in it ).

Last edited by Templar; 01-10-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile in June of this year and couldn't be happier. I have no issues with service or dropped calls like I did with Sprint and I tend to have service where most of my friends do not. I was a loyal Sprint member going back to the Nextel days..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

^^ well, everybody is better than Sprint

Even Metro PCS...jk
Appreciate 0