BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

02-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #23
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven View Post
i have been looking for this one paticular upconverting dvd player and i found it today. and an awesome deal. its the top of the line samsung upconverter. couldnt find it cheaper than 160 online and i found it today open box for 49 bucks. im siked. now i need another hdmi cable so show me where to get these awesome 12 dollar cables that are just as good as my 250 dollar one.
http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
anyone who spends 250 on an HDMI cable is a complete sucka. sorry if i have offended you.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #24
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

if you have to ask if it's worth it, then it's probably isn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #25
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
if you have to ask if it's worth it, then it's probably isn't.
I've seen this question asked about a million times:

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic...ay+turbo+worth
Quote:
hi im new to ka-ts but not 240sxs (im actually on my 4th s13) anyway im a drift nut and looking to an alternative to the ever rediculous sr20 anyway i want to go ka-t but am curious as to if any of thes ebay kits are any good like the set up or just quality of the parts anyway, if you could give me some hints or tips, or a good set up to run on a stock s13 twin cam
The answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron
Most everybody knows by now, but every now and then we get the question on these forums. "Is this turbo on ebay any good?"
I bought one of these a few years ago before I knew any better ( yes, years ) and had it on my car for about 50 miles. The results? Spectacular catastrophic failure.

Firstly, yes its true. The compressor housing is GLUED together.

All I had to do was give it a solid knock with a wrench and it split. The actual failure of this turbo was the impeller wheel hitting the compressor housing. What you are looking at in these photos is the metal that is gone from the impeller wheel. Look on the sides of the blades, lots of metal is now missing and presumed blown into my intercooler and engine. On the back you can see how much metal is gone. The marks look like it was shaved with a serrated knife, and only on one side.

Hopefully those photos are clear enough to illustrate exactly why you should avoid this garbage.
Sometimes it is best to ask first..

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #26
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
anyone who spends 250 on an HDMI cable is a complete sucka. sorry if i have offended you.
as i stated earlier in the thread. i didnt actually spend the 250 on the cable. that was just what the price tag at best buy said. i have a handful of friends that work at best buy, so i never pay what the little price tag says. I also dont think anyone on a car forum could ever say anything to offend me. Thanks for the link!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #27
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
as i stated earlier in the thread. i didnt actually spend the 250 on the cable. that was just what the price tag at best buy said. i have a handful of friends that work at best buy, so i never pay what the little price tag says. I also dont think anyone on a car forum could ever say anything to offend me. Thanks for the link!!!
no problem brotha.
also try this if you like forums: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #28
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Yea. i have been to that avs forum before. i cant get into it. every thread is 83 pages long. its real discouraging to try to read anything like that. i guess the hdmi cable that i would want from monoprice is on backorder. unless im looking at the wrong thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #29
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea. i have been to that avs forum before. i cant get into it. every thread is 83 pages long. its real discouraging to try to read anything like that. i guess the hdmi cable that i would want from monoprice is on backorder. unless im looking at the wrong thing.
yes, that forum is extremely technical sometimes but it has really helped me get the best gear at the best prices. its great walking into a store and knowing way more than the sales people and then just listening to them try and sell me something.
as far as the hdmi cables from monoprice, you are correct, they appear to be on back order until the end of the month but thats because this site is so popular with the videophiles. i personally cant recommend another site for hdmi cables but i'm sure they are out there.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #30
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

my ps3 has a HDMI cable from monoprice. great product.
      02-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #31
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Unless you have a 1080p TV you can just about forget about the optima picture quality when using either the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I have both and prefer the HD-DVD because of the additional interaction you can have plus a lot of HD-DVDs come with standard DVD on the other side.

I have five different gaming devices with lcd monitors set up for the grandkids when they come over. It's the specific games they go for more than the devices; and, whichever is the newest.

Call
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #32
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Unless you have a 1080p TV you can just about forget about the optima picture quality when using either the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I have both and prefer the HD-DVD because of the additional interaction you can have plus a lot of HD-DVDs come with standard DVD on the other side.

I have five different gaming devices with lcd monitors set up for the grandkids when they come over. It's the specific games they go for more than the devices; and, whichever is the newest.

Call
actually i think hd-dvd is better than blu-ray also. blu-ray has finally achieved video quality equal with hd-dvd with its latest players and software but it took 6 months after the launch of hd-dvd. in the end i feel that hd-dvd raised the bar so high that blu-ray had to keep up. so now the battle between the 2 is on and i wont predict how it will end.

Appreciate 0