BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #45
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
I travel a fair bit for work....Indy this week, texas and pa the following. Byron Bay Australia in Feb which makes up for the last 3

When the company takes care of you and doesn't expect you to live like a pauper while traveling it makes all the difference. We enjoy nice places and good food so travel doesn't feel like a punishment.
Thankfully the company I am interviewing with will at least fly you business class. Makes the long flight to China much more bearable. I have heard the hotels, etc are nice too. Only downside is the crazy hours while on travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrsteve View Post
Been doing it for 5.5 years, it's pretty much expected to be gone every week. There are some perks, but the distance can make things difficult at times. Any sort of rough patches only get magnified by distance.

Big question, are you two anticipating children? If so, I'd think twice. If not, try it out for a year, stack up all of the points and miles and go nuts with vacations (that's what I do to make it up to her). But once a child comes along, no chance I'm going to choose a job over that.

Being somebody in the tech sector, you'all be able to open up a bunch of other opportunities that may not of existed otherwise. So it's not an easy call, maybe try it for a year and see how it works?
No kids in the immediate future. Like you said, this would most likely be a year or two commitment that would open up a lot of doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #46
ImolaMoop
Rep
Drives: Sold

Did you do the onsite interview yet? Those are tough...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #47
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaMoop View Post
Did you do the onsite interview yet? Those are tough...
Yep. Had an onsite for 3 different positions. Waiting to hear back.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #48
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
EstorilM367.00
      01-30-2017, 04:47 AM   #49
Zane90
Rep
Drives: blue

As with anything in life, you never know unless you try. My advice would be to give it a go. If it doesn't work out or you hate it, you can change it. Then at least you know you tried and won't always be wondering.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #50
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Traveling for work blows unless you're getting paid like god.

70% increase isn't really worth traveling up to 40% of the time. I'd rather make $100k with 0 travel than $170k w/ 40% travel (particularly international travel).

Depends on how much you need the money though.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #51
ripper0306
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Black & White Edition

I travel a lot for my job, 6-7 monthes a year (and more depending on the national events)
(mission duration : 1 up to 3 monthes long, the 3 monthes ones are located in French " old colonies", French Polynesia like Tahiti/Antilles Islands/New Caledonia), I'm actually in Guadeloupe since November. Christmas and New Year Eve spent here.

The rest of the year, I'm on holidays. It's been 5 years, I'm doing that, I'm starting to be tired of this rythm on the social way.
During missions, I spent 6/7 days working, only 1 is free for resting. we don't count our hours, working day and night.
The familly life with my girlfriend is sometimes hard, especially for her, when I'm not home for 3 monthes. I'm glad I don't have kids yet. It will be harder.

To answer the OP question, working away, It worths it for the money, and good experiences in unknow environment.
My job provides me a 'free home in France', and when I'm on a mission, it provides me a home shared with my teammates/meals/everything I need + extra $$$ reward per day, and extra days for my pension.

I'll continue 2-3 more years then I'm done. It's perfect to buy cars (M3 and S2000 ) and homes (apartment for rental) when we are young (I'm 31 now), but not to enjoy the family/buddys life.

You have to make that choice

Hope my english is not so bad
      02-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #52
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd argue the opposite, a little time away can keep the spark going.
Not for all of them... a job similar to the one described is what ended my engagement. She was all for supporting me before I accepted it too.

Like some others have said, if it works out it usually works out really well (advanced my career and made quite a bit more money) but if it doesn't it can quickly wreck a relationship.

I guess on the bright side I now am more successful, make more money AND am ready to mingle. Tinder and dating apps weren't around the last time I was single...
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #53
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Traveling for work blows unless you're getting paid like god.

70% increase isn't really worth traveling up to 40% of the time. I'd rather make $100k with 0 travel than $170k w/ 40% travel (particularly international travel).

Depends on how much you need the money though.
Although the 170 is probably base. They are also paying for food and entertainment for 40% of the time as well so it ends up being even more $$. Also less gas if you don't have a car with you.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #54
Dan.E46
E46Fanatics OG
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Not for all of them... a job similar to the one described is what ended my engagement. She was all for supporting me before I accepted it too.

Like some others have said, if it works out it usually works out really well (advanced my career and made quite a bit more money) but if it doesn't it can quickly wreck a relationship.

I guess on the bright side I now am more successful, make more money AND am ready to mingle. Tinder and dating apps weren't around the last time I was single...
Yeah I would have to agree. Jobs like these will be really good for your career, usually it will fast track you to where you want to go. But it comes at a sacrifice. Your relationships will deteriorate, not just the romantic ones but friends and family as well. At the end of the day, it all depends on the individual and their priorities.

If you don't have kids, I'd say go for it, try it out for a year or so. Not many people get this opportunity and you can always come home if you hate it.

Just as a reference, I'm a travelling engineer in my late 20s working away for ~70% of the year. The salary was ludicrous (for a reason), but I've missed a bit of my life/youth. Now I've decided to come home because there are some things money can't buy.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #55
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I've been traveling for about 6 years now, and in that time have gotten married and had two kids (1.5 and newborn).

At first it was great. I traveled the world and took my wife places. Now, it's different. I don't hate traveling, but as a few others said, it gets lonley and you miss the family. I'm out 1-2 weeks out of the month. I intentionally break up the trips so I can come back home a recharge.

Here are few things that help in the long term:

1. Flexibility to work from home and work hours.
2. Having control of your travel schedule. I only travel during the work week, and home every weekend. There are a few exceptions such as with tradeshows, or international travel that requires longer stays
3. Having a wife who supports you

I will say if that your travel is longer than say a work week - it can be very straining on a relationship. Something to consider...
      02-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #56
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

There is very good advice in this thread, I've been traveling Mon to Thursday and then some for the last 5+ years. I'm early 30s no kids as of yet which may slightly change my outlook.

1. Make sure your relationship is in a good place it took my GF now wife 6+ months to get used to the travel, now I'm an annoyance when I'm home more than a week :-)

2. I love to travel, going to the airport and seeing all the places you can go is still exciting to me. Make sure you are in the same boat

3. Be prepared to have unexpected travel delays or be home hours later than expected

4. Get status on an airline at a minimum gold on United and Delta to get club access on international flights and a slim chance to get an upgrade. Don't fly AA or budget carriers they are F@@@ terrible

5. Working long hours away from home to me is good, nothing is worse then being bored in a hotel room! Plus even if work is crazy there is always sometime to explore and usually on someone else's dime.

6. Try it for a year if it doesn't suit you find a new job, better to try it vs regretting not taking the opportunity

7. Points are a nice bonus usually take a week or two trip and finance flights and hotels on points, a $800 a night st Regis for free is one of the best stays I've had.

8. You are exposed to many new, exciting and diverse experiences you would never get the opportunity too if you had a regular local job.

Hope this helps and good luck with the job!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #57
ImolaMoop
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post

4. Get status on an airline at a minimum gold on United and Delta to get club access on international flights and a slim chance to get an upgrade. Don't fly AA or budget carriers they are F@@@ terrible
Delta FF program isn't good at all.

AA is partnered with Cathay Pacific which is one of the best transpacific airlines there is. OP said he will be flying to Asia, so this wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

I also fly to Asia, but I only use United so I am 'global services' with them. Their rewards program is the best IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #58
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaMoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post

Delta FF program isn't good at all.

AA is partnered with Cathay Pacific which is one of the best transpacific airlines there is. OP said he will be flying to Asia, so this wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

I also fly to Asia, but I only use United so I am 'global services' with them. Their rewards program is the best IMHO.
Fair enough if traveling to Asia on Cathy Pacific is a great choice. Domestically myself and co-workers routinely run into problems with AA with maintenance issues and hours on the tarmac for no reason.

Delta's Skypesos are pretty bad and international upgrades are impossible to come by unless you have upgrade certs or buy a much higher fare class, I'm Diamond on Delta. Flying to Europe I would pick Skyteam over other in my opinion.

I think United still offers one of the best FF programs and award tickets, global upgrades and more.
Appreciate 0