BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Rifle / scope question - and any Vortex Viper owners?

Ok, question for those of you that shoot out around 200 yards (not far, I know, but its the farthest range near me).

I bought the rifle used, and the scope used as well (different sellers). The scope is a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44. Its sitting on a 20 MOA rail right now (I don't have a 0 MOA rail to try out my theory).

The scope has (if I recall correctly) 60 MOA of vertical adjustment in it (which to me sounds plenty). I cannot get the blasted thing to be accurately sighted in though. Horizontally its now fine, but I'm still shooting high at 50 - 200 yards (doesn't matter) and I've run out of vertical adjustment to lower it. I'm only about an inch high (maybe 1.5 inches) at 200 yards so its pretty frustrating as its actually really close.

Is there any way to "reset" the Vipers? I heard that with certain scopes you can reset them using a screw or something. I have no idea why I'm high - I shouldn't me. If I slip the rings up / down the scope it does make some difference, but not much. I've readjusted the rings 3 times now (though I can only make so much adjustment to the rings and still have the right eye relief and position).

Or alternatively, does anyone think that using a 20 MOA rail is the reason and that this is too much if you are only shooting out 200 yards?

I'm completely baffled and I'm at the point of giving in and taking it to a gunsmith (not too many around me). I thought maybe it was just my error (which it may be), and had this other guy I met there try it out since he had seemed to be pretty proficient. He wound up placing his shots exactly where I was though.

Anyways, all thoughts are welcome!
Appreciate 0