BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

Pilots License

Anyone here a private pilot or have your own plane?

I am taking my first Training classes this week to work towards my Private pilots license. How long did it take you to complete and what did it cost? Looks like it is going to be around $8400 to complete all of the hours of ground school and actual flight time and touch and go's... Excited.

We are looking into buying a Twin turbo prop Aerostar for starters. Will carry 6 people and some gear. Spent a lot of time in a 4 seater Piper comanche and it was just a tad too small. Any one have any thoughts on other planes besides Cessna?
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Prices vary by location but one of my best friends is a flight instructor and flies a Cirrus SR20. I've got about 20hrs but never really took the licensing too seriously as I have little desire to buy my own wings or pilot it myself. I guess the luxury of having a friend with a plane is that I don't need one. He quoted me upwards of $10-15k for the whole enchilada (his time, gas, plane use, etc).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
We are looking into buying a Twin turbo prop Aerostar for starters. Will carry 6 people and some gear.
First of all congrats on the decision to start working on your PPL. I did mine full time, at a part 141 flight school so it only took me about a month. I'm sure its going to take you a lot longer if you're balancing it with full time responsibilities like job, family, etc.

That Aerostar would make me nervous for a new pilot. A complex, high-powered twin is really a lot of airplane for that level of experience. I would recommend getting your private and spending some time in fixed gear singles and getting some flight time with that first. Then you can start working on your Instrument rating and maybe even your Commercial. When you have some of that under your belt you can think about making the progression to a complex twin.

First things first, listen to your Instructor and work towards that first solo flight. Very cool feeling that first time you take off by yourself! Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

I have about 320 hours with a commercial pilots license+instrument+multi.

I agree with the poster above. Get your PPL and your instrument before worrying about your multi/complex/high performance ratings. There have been numerous occurrences of private pilots without their instrument rating getting into deep trouble when the weather went south. You may never plan to fly IFR, but an instrument rating I would say is more for safety for a private pilot.

Like Nate said, wait until you're more experience before getting into a complex, high powered twin. A C172 or similar kind of plane is the safest plane for a new pilot. Don't have to worry about gear, prop, Vmc, etc. People think a multi-engine aircraft is safer because you have two engines over one. But, accidents prove otherwise. If your engine quits in a single, you know what to do. Find a place to safely put her down. In a multi, it isn't required for the manufacture to show climb performance flying on one engine( you may only lose 50% of your power, but you lose 80-90% of your performance). Then you have to worry about Vmc, etc. You're probably be going to have about 40-60 hours by the time you get your license( FAA mins is 40 hours). That is no where close to being experienced enough to fly an aircraft like the one you are considering buying. It would be like giving a Ferrari to a 16 year old kid who just got their drivers license. That's asking for trouble.

Last edited by quagmire; 06-11-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
Anyone here a private pilot or have your own plane?

I am taking my first Training classes this week to work towards my Private pilots license. How long did it take you to complete and what did it cost? Looks like it is going to be around $8400 to complete all of the hours of ground school and actual flight time and touch and go's... Excited.

We are looking into buying a Twin turbo prop Aerostar for starters. Will carry 6 people and some gear. Spent a lot of time in a 4 seater Piper comanche and it was just a tad too small. Any one have any thoughts on other planes besides Cessna?
I have had mine for about 10 years now. Now granted prices were cheaper back when I got my license, but I paid around 4800k I would say. This was in a 2 seater alarus. Took me about 51 hours I think. Has been awhile. If your going multi then you will pay a lot more and will need to get your instrument as well. That is usually more than the license. Cost will add up big time from there. Way over your current price point.

As for pricing, if you are looking to save, take lessons at a smaller airport out in the burbs if possible. This will dramatically reduce the cost not only in training and aircraft in general, but less time on the ground waiting to get up the the air. Which I commonly run into now at PDK out of Atlanta. Tons of traffic. When the prop is turning, your paying.

How about a Cherokee six? Single engine six seater. Single engine would be way cheaper on cost and maintenance. Unless you have plenty of money to spend. Then go all out.

Good luck!! It's well worth the initial cost. Not expensive after you get your license and certifications out of the way.
      06-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

As I get deeper and deeper into my research for a plane... I do believe a Piper Comanche or the Piper Cherokee could be a good buy. Single prop and will go about 200 MPH balls to the wall. As well as cheaper to maintain and easier to learn. Very Familiar with the Piper comanche from college... Roomate had his own at school...
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I took lessons for a while did maybe 20 hours or so. Never went with the intention of getting a license, just wanted something to do on weekends. Found out I get motion sickness on these little planes (think we were flying a C152) so I would only go on nice cool days when I knew the weather was good and it wouldnt be too rough.

Anyways once I learned to take off and land I kinda got over it. I figure if I'm ever being chased by commies and I happen to come across a C152 while I'm trying to escape I know enough to get me out!
Appreciate 0