BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #463
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I used to love working third shift on New Year's Eve when I was in school. Get out of work at 6:00 AM on New Year's Day, gas up the bike, and see what kind of land speed record I could set just as the last of the overnight DUI patrols were heading home leaving miles upon miles of empty roads unguarded. Oh, how much fun we could have in the olden days.....
I’m sure you’ve been on Route 218 between West Point and Cornwall. That has got to be one of the best roads in all of NYS.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #464
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Thank you wise Sir! I appreciate it. I can only hope to be where you are in another 20 years; sane and living happily.
I miss the job and the guys I worked with, some genuine characters. I remember when I got hired being told I had just got tickets to the greatest show on earth. I know its in the past but it is an amazing job but it can also grind you down and leave you broken.

You'll get there, I have a sense that your head is screwed on straight. Rely on your training, you have had the benefit of working for a world class organization so you know what's what. Play safe and go home to your family everyday.
Thank you Sir! I will heed those words. I really appreciate your contributions to this thread.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-31-2019, 06:55 PM   #465
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Thank you Sir! I will heed those words. I really appreciate your contributions to this thread.
You started this thread, and I really appreciate it and sat back for a long while before jumping in. I didn't want to cut your grass. This is one of my favourites (cool pic's is the best, sorry I do like the hotties) but the Q and A's are great. Any opportunity to shine a light on how law enforcement works I think is a positive thing for folks.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24814.00
MKSixer34171.50
HFW0035664.50
      12-31-2019, 07:06 PM   #466
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I’m sure you’ve been on Route 218 between West Point and Cornwall. That has got to be one of the best roads in all of NYS.
Lost a very good riding friend on that road (NY-218/Eagle's Nest) in the early 1990's. Understeered into the rock wall barrier on his bike, flew over it, then fell down about 800 feet of cliff to the railroad tracks next to the river where they found him dead. (I wasn't riding with him that day.) I knew his parents and two siblings on a first name basis, and hung up my motorcycle helmet the day after his funeral for the safety of automotive competition.

Only had one more encounter with doing something stupid on that road about two years ago, when I had hired a stretched limo for a trip to NYC and stopped in Cornwall to pick up some friends. The friend gave the limo driver directions to Rt. 218, and I wasn't paying attention until it was too late to turn around. He thought that it would be funny to see a stretched limo on 218, and it is a wonder that we didn't have an accident since the driver needed to cross the left shoulder to clear the inside apex cliffs on the right side of a few blind corners.

BMW used to use that stretch of road for TV commercials back in the day, but they haven't shot anything there recently that I've noticed.

A slightly better stretch of similar road is Hawk's Nest on NY-97 north out of Port Jervis on the other side of our county. Same type of cliff road and scenery, but it seems to have a few extra feet of runoff and is slightly more forgiving.....
MKSixer34171.50
      01-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #467
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Lots of great roads in NY, but I was disappointed by 218 (it got a great write-up in R&T as one of the top ten roads ever'). Great if I were alone, but it's about a lane and a half wide, and with everything from packs of sport bikes to moving vans - kind of felt like the local version of the Tail of the Dragon tourist conga line, even though I went at about 10am. One of my southern NY favorites is Rte 55, not far from that stretch of 97.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614885.00
F30lolz6798.50
MKSixer34171.50
      01-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #468
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Lost a very good riding friend on that road (NY-218/Eagle's Nest) in the early 1990's. Understeered into the rock wall barrier on his bike, flew over it, then fell down about 800 feet of cliff to the railroad tracks next to the river where they found him dead. (I wasn't riding with him that day.) I knew his parents and two siblings on a first name basis, and hung up my motorcycle helmet the day after his funeral for the safety of automotive competition.

Only had one more encounter with doing something stupid on that road about two years ago, when I had hired a stretched limo for a trip to NYC and stopped in Cornwall to pick up some friends. The friend gave the limo driver directions to Rt. 218, and I wasn't paying attention until it was too late to turn around. He thought that it would be funny to see a stretched limo on 218, and it is a wonder that we didn't have an accident since the driver needed to cross the left shoulder to clear the inside apex cliffs on the right side of a few blind corners.

BMW used to use that stretch of road for TV commercials back in the day, but they haven't shot anything there recently that I've noticed.

A slightly better stretch of similar road is Hawk's Nest on NY-97 north out of Port Jervis on the other side of our county. Same type of cliff road and scenery, but it seems to have a few extra feet of runoff and is slightly more forgiving.....
That is a horrific story, so sorry. Have you kept in touch with us family after all these years? I too lost a friend who was on a bike but on a different road in OC, can’t remember. Coming around a curve and had to swerve to avoid hitting a deer, hit a guardrail and died on the spot due to blunt head force trauma, even though he had full gear. I think of him at least once a day. Knew him for maybe two years but was a great guy.

Next time I’ll be in upstate NY (sometime this summer), I’ll check out Port Jervis. Maybe we’ll meet up for a little ride somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Lots of great roads in NY, but I was disappointed by 218 (it got a great write-up in R&T as one of the top ten roads ever'). Great if I were alone, but it's about a lane and a half wide, and with everything from packs of sport bikes to moving vans - kind of felt like the local version of the Tail of the Dragon tourist conga line, even though I went at about 10am. One of my southern NY favorites is Rte 55, not far from that stretch of 97.
It’s best to go early in the morning on a weekend as that is what I used to do. This shot was taken circa 2011 in the afternoon and it wasn’t that bad for me. TSP (Taconic State Pkwy) and The Palisades Pkwy are also my favorite roads. 9D and 9W also come to mind. Makes me miss my old battlegrounds.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
vreihen1614885.00
Maynard3804.50
MKSixer34171.50
      01-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #469
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
When you're in Port Jervis, keep on heading south on NJ-23 up to High Point and visit the obelisk.

My favorite stretches of road in the country are Nevada-318 through the narrows about 10 miles north of Hiko (near Area 51), and the entire stretch of I-15 through Arizona. With the steep walls on the sides, either one is about a close to flying Red-5 trying to shoot something the size of a womp rat on the Death Star.....
F30lolz6798.50
      01-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #470
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I used to love working third shift on New Year's Eve when I was in school. Get out of work at 6:00 AM on New Year's Day, gas up the bike, and see what kind of land speed record I could set just as the last of the overnight DUI patrols were heading home leaving miles upon miles of empty roads unguarded. Oh, how much fun we could have in the olden days.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
back in the day, most everything was sooo much fun
Now you'd end up in a Worldstar Hip Hop video and arrested...
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:46 AM   #471
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Funny story Sedan_Clan

One time I was speeding home around 11pm, doing about 80-85 on an empty highway 5... Cop comes out of nowhere next to me, and slows down to my exact speed lining me up to my side! Naturally I thought I'm done, I start slowing down and he slows down WITH ME.... I was confused to say the least. I slowed down to 65 on the dot and he was right next to me now doing 65 with me, soon as I hit that 65 he hit the gas and just blew past me and dipped.

The story is obvious, he gave me a break without stopping me and got me to a slow speed then went on about his business. I thought this was generous and a nice way to tell me to slow down. Have you ever done this or hear of anyone doing this? I still remember that to this day lol.
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
Sedan_Clan24814.00
MKSixer34171.50
      01-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #472
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Funny story Sedan_Clan

One time I was speeding home around 11pm, doing about 80-85 on an empty highway 5... Cop comes out of nowhere next to me, and slows down to my exact speed lining me up to my side! Naturally I thought I'm done, I start slowing down and he slows down WITH ME.... I was confused to say the least. I slowed down to 65 on the dot and he was right next to me now doing 65 with me, soon as I hit that 65 he hit the gas and just blew past me and dipped.

The story is obvious, he gave me a break without stopping me and got me to a slow speed then went on about his business. I thought this was generous and a nice way to tell me to slow down. Have you ever done this or hear of anyone doing this? I still remember that to this day lol.
This happens often, especially with the CHP. It's definitely a nice way to suggest that you slow it down.
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
premier3is1627.00
MKSixer34171.50
      01-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #473
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I found it more doubtful, that you as cops into the US are allowed to guess, that someones maybe too fast w/o proof.
In Germany I'll give you the card of my lawyer with best regards and come back with proofed results.
You are left with your own keen eyes, how often differs your assumed speed of other drivers from the true speed values and you just pulling over because you can, just curious?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #474
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
I found it more doubtful, that you as cops into the US are allowed to guess, that someones maybe too fast w/o proof.
In Germany I'll give you the card of my lawyer with best regards and come back with proofed results.
You are left with your own keen eyes, how often differs your assumed speed of other drivers from the true speed values and you just pulling over because you can, just curious?
So in Canada generally speaking speeding charges are laid using Radar or Laser speed measuring devices and occasionally using aircraft. I have laid a charge from pacing a vehicle using the police car, after laying the charge I had the speedometer on the police car checked with another police car using a radar or laser. In a case like that I'd usually only lay the charge because the offender was way over the speed limit. Some police cars are equipped with Track Radar which can be used while the police car in in motion, it can track speed of oncoming cars or cars being followed. Having said this I rarely did traffic work and never worked full time in a traffic unit. We had a saying about "Traffic Men". I think that answers your question.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24814.00
Dang3r12503.00
      01-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #475
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Funny story Sedan_Clan

Quote:
This happens often, especially with the CHP. It's definitely a nice way to suggest that you slow it down.
Down here they tend to just light up the blues and twos for a second as they roll up/by. Everyone tends to get the message.

I was once in a fast moving pack of 6 or 7 cars on i-20 in DFW just after twilight and the trooper just lit up his lights without giving chase. Every brake light in the group lit up and he turned his lights off. Message received, kind sir. Message received.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24814.00
Salty Dog3572.50
premier3is1627.00
      01-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #476
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that we completely guess a speed? Much of the time we pace or have instrumented proof. Pacing is allowed within the law. Visual speed estimation is allowed too (...with the CHP I needed to be able to estimate a vehicle's speed within a 5mph margin of error to successfully pass/meet my state's criteria). Either way, if I estimate speed at 85mph and you're "only" doing 80mph, you're still 15mph over the posted limit on most U.S. highways. Nonetheless, there's ALWAYS a reason to pull a vehicle over if you follow them long enough, and I/we work in the rule of 2's. What I mean by that is....

....I'm looking for two or more reasons to pull you over and/or two or more violations to cite you for in case one violation gets dismissed/dropped. In most cases I'm going to get you either way IF I want to get you.
Appreciate 5
Salty Dog3572.50
vreihen1614885.00
Dang3r12503.00
MKSixer34171.50
      01-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #477
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where did you get the idea that we completely guess a speed? Much of the time we pace or have instrumented proof. Pacing is allowed within the law. Visual speed estimation is allowed too (...with the CHP I needed to be able to estimate a vehicle's speed within a 5mph margin of error to successfully pass/meet my state's criteria). Either way, if I estimate speed at 85mph and you're "only" doing 80mph, you're still 15mph over the posted limit on most U.S. highways. Nonetheless, there's ALWAYS a reason to pull a vehicle over if you follow them long enough, and I/we work in the rule of 2's. What I mean by that is....

....I'm looking for two or more reasons to pull you over and/or two or more violations to cite you for in case one violation gets dismissed/dropped. In most cases I'm going to get you either way IF I want to get you.
Damn bro! chill.... going hard in the paint I see! If it ain't one, I'm getting you for the other one mfr!
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #478
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn bro! chill.... going hard in the paint I see! If it ain't one, I'm getting you for the other one mfr!

Basically. When I'm on a mission, I'm on a mission. Otherwise I'm eating Coldstone and Double-Doubles.
Appreciate 3
premier3is1627.00
Salty Dog3572.50
MKSixer34171.50
      01-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #479
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Basically. When I'm on a mission, I'm on a mission. Otherwise I'm eating Coldstone and Double-Doubles.
I guess business is business lmao
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #480
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Score us up on your successful/unsuccessful PIT
      01-07-2020, 03:12 AM   #481
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I admit, I hadn't detailed my question clearly enough. Don't talking about laser or radar equipped cars, I know how they working and won't argue about true results.
Give ya an exemple: In neighbor country Austria a bud of mine passed a standing police car w/o any speed surveillance equipment and the cops pulled him over with the guess he was too fast. In Austria you hadn't to proof this, the cops are just right. Try that in Germany and you'll be righteous laughed out loudly.
As far as some experiences and heard stories from the US are true, most ppl don't start to refuse or debate this by fear to get arrested instantly for nothing but your might to do so, because you can.
You can call this if you want, for me it sounds like capriciousness. In fact we're not be able to discuss this vis-á-vis I would like to mention, that I wouldn't offend you, so don't get upset, theres no real reason to get to.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:04 AM   #482
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I admit, I hadn't detailed my question clearly enough. Don't talking about laser or radar equipped cars, I know how they working and won't argue about true results.
Give ya an exemple: In neighbor country Austria a bud of mine passed a standing police car w/o any speed surveillance equipment and the cops pulled him over with the guess he was too fast. In Austria you hadn't to proof this, the cops are just right. Try that in Germany and you'll be righteous laughed out loudly.
As far as some experiences and heard stories from the US are true, most ppl don't start to refuse or debate this by fear to get arrested instantly for nothing but your might to do so, because you can.
You can call this if you want, for me it sounds like capriciousness. In fact we're not be able to discuss this vis-á-vis I would like to mention, that I wouldn't offend you, so don't get upset, theres no real reason to get to.
Your understanding of the U.S. and policing is a bit flawed. You should stop believing all of the stories that people tell you.
Appreciate 6
Salty Dog3572.50
vreihen1614885.00
Dang3r12503.00
premier3is1627.00
MKSixer34171.50
aozer994.50
      01-07-2020, 07:05 AM   #483
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Your understanding of the U.S. and policing is a bit flawed. You should stop believing all of the stories that people tell you.
Pistol-whip then Miranda, or Miranda and then pistol-whip?

Seriously though, y'all need to blame Hollywood for all of the world's misconceptions about police behavior in the USA.....
MKSixer34171.50
      01-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #484
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Pistol-whip then Miranda, or Miranda and then pistol-whip?

Seriously though, y'all need to blame Hollywood for all of the world's misconceptions about police behavior in the USA.....
You have no effin' idea. It's not just the USA and it's not just police conduct and procedure. CSI was a nightmare, I was asked by a judge in court why we didn't have some forensic evidence and then he used an episode of CSI as the basis for his question.

There is no data base where we can put your name into our mobile work station and get your whole life history, which always seems to include your public school teachers, entire employment history etc.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24814.00
Rmtt8206.00
vreihen1614885.00
MKSixer34171.50