BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #353
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseM3 View Post
Father Live Oak decided he'd have his way with my driveway over the last 15 years by cracking it, pushing it over 4 inches and lifting it another 4". It was getting to the point when 3 point turning couldn't clear the M's under tray.

Moved the driveway over 18", leveled it as much as I could without damaging the roots and replaced with reclaimed brick from SC. to give me some time and repairability in the future.
That looks great! Well done!
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      05-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #354
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
We're going to replace the hardwood (solid) flooring in our home; hallways, kitchen, great room.

I'm torn between solid hardwood and engineered hardwood. Price doesn't really matter. The old school part of me thinks solid is better just because? On the other hand, our contractor says engineered hardwood would be much easier to maintain and better for the kitchen.

What's everyone's thoughts? Engineered or solid?
real wood the only way to go if it is a place you are going to live in for some time.

The biggest issues with the engineered wood is that a majority of them can not be refinished, so you eventually have to replace.

Engineered is significantly cheaper to buy (unless you find some real wood on closeout) and is significantly cheaper to install. This is why you see it in most of the tract homes. But go into one of those homes thats been lived in with pets and/or kids for a few years, and the floors are beat up. Real wood would have the same damage, but you can refinish them for a fraction of the cost to re-install new floors.

Now, if you plan to sell within the next few years, go cheap and get engineered. It will look just as good as hardwood and you dont have to spend the upfront costs of hardwood

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #355
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Good to know!
      05-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #356
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I've talked to a few flooring contractors and they're telling me that solid hardwood, prefinished in the kind we want isn't all that easy to refinish. (Acacia) they've also said it won't sand down as nicely as the manufacturers say. Anyone have experience with refinishing a prefinished solid hardwood?

We're leaning toward a high quality engineered at this point.
      05-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #357
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
I've talked to a few flooring contractors and they're telling me that solid hardwood, prefinished in the kind we want isn't all that easy to refinish. (Acacia) they've also said it won't sand down as nicely as the manufacturers say. Anyone have experience with refinishing a prefinished solid hardwood?

I wouldn’t refinish something pre-finished if at all possible. If you can get custom laid and custom stained, might be more expensive but probably the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #358
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
please dont put any hardwood floors in kitchen, or any wet areas like mudroom or bathrooms, laundry etc
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #359
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
please dont put any hardwood floors in kitchen, or any wet areas like mudroom or bathrooms, laundry etc
Why? I can understand if you don't take care of leaks and stuff, but a leak here and there isn't going to kill your wood floors.

FWIW, my house was built in 1864 with random width pumpkin pine floors throughout. I'd take a guess that the wood's got to be at least 400 years old by now, and the floors are one of the nicest features in the house (if you like old houses, of course). Our kitchen floor is usually the first thing people comment on, especially after a light screen and coat which we've done 2x in 19 years.
      05-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #360
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Why? I can understand if you don't take care of leaks and stuff, but a leak here and there isn't going to kill your wood floors.

FWIW, my house was built in 1864 with random width pumpkin pine floors throughout. I'd take a guess that the wood's got to be at least 400 years old by now, and the floors are one of the nicest features in the house (if you like old houses, of course). Our kitchen floor is usually the first thing people comment on, especially after a light screen and coat which we've done 2x in 19 years.
considering area space is small, most traffic space out of the whole house...tile or stone is better. Even in high end apt, wet areas have tile/stone.
of course it would be nice to have custom hardwood floors everywhere but its not practical.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      05-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #361
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Latest project at our place: A new parking spot.

Before:

During:

After:
Appreciate 6
wrickem2101.00
P111541.50
      05-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #362
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Now you've confused me even more with "it's just not practical" for wood
You said WOOD- hah hah
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      05-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #363
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
It's been done millions of times. As a previous Building Inspector as long as the owner takes care of those areas it's no problem. Again, for only those who actually take care of their floors
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
wrickem2101.00
      05-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #364
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Ever been in a sauna?

Wood can do just fine in damp environments provided you select the right wood / finish for the job and aren't a negligent slob.

Carpeted bathrooms were all the rage in the 70s and into the 80s. Much worse things than wood have been tried!
Appreciate 4
nyalpine907380.00
P111541.50
      05-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #365
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

not to throw shade on my fellow contractors, but ive been seeing a lot of them recommend engineered floors lately. Its easier to install, cheaper to buy, and they only pass a few of the savings on to you...

Quote:
please dont listen to him.

theres 10s of millions of homes with harwood in one or all of these rooms. I have it in my kitchen and mudroom

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
      05-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #366
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Carpeted bathrooms were all the rage in the 70s and into the 80s.
I can still smell that my BROTHERS weren't such a good aim around the toilet.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
      05-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #367
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

2 more days and it's time to tear the floor apart!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #368
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:

Brazillian Cherry here and I've had it installed in the my kitchen for the last ~12 years with absolutely no issues.

I originally was going to do tile, but by going from tile (kitchen) to hardwood (family room) I was afraid the living space would have looked much smaller than it actually was with the transition in material. Went with wood all the way through and still glad I did.
Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
      05-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #369
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Carpeted bathrooms were all the rage in the 70s and into the 80s. Much worse things than wood have been tried!
Saw that for the first time when visiting my friends in San Diego a few years back...had no idea such a thing even existed
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #370
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I wouldn't put any hardwood in a kitchen or bathroom in my house, yes it can be done and if careful with it everything will be fine but I just don't want to deal with it. If someone spills water in our kitchen or some spray from the bathroom ends up on the tile floor it can't sit there really forever without me worrying about it.

If I had a house where either already had hardwoods I would also leave it and try to make it work but this is a different type of decision, already there vs. adding something new.
      05-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #371
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
stairs are 90% done!
Looks great. I could kick myself in the ass for not going with a new banister when we replaced the steps in the house. They were carpeted when we bought the house. Two of the four bedrooms, the living room, sitting room and dining room were all hardwood so we hoped there was also hardwood under the carpet. No such luck. We replaced the staircase with oak and also did the two bedrooms. Anyway, The banister was oak, so we just sanded down (it was really golden and high shine). I don't know what I was thinking. Should have just did a new one with the wrought iron and wood combo.
      05-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #372
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I wouldn't put any hardwood in a kitchen or bathroom in my house, yes it can be done and if careful with it everything will be fine but I just don't want to deal with it. If someone spills water in our kitchen or some spray from the bathroom ends up on the tile floor it can't sit there really forever without me worrying about it.

If I had a house where either already had hardwoods I would also leave it and try to make it work but this is a different type of decision, already there vs. adding something new.
We did hardwoods in the kitchen and 1st floor half bath in our new build back in 2013. Site-finished red oak. No problems with water or anything.

We don't have children, though, I'm sure that helps when there are only adults in the home.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      05-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #373
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
We did hardwoods in the kitchen and 1st floor half bath in our new build back in 2013. Site-finished red oak. No problems with water or anything.

We don't have children, though, I'm sure that helps when there are only adults in the home.
I love hardwood floors but prefer tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. So easy to clean and no worries about high traffic areas. I especially love the radiant heat that I have under all tiled areas.
      05-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #374
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post

When you say "no problems with water or anything" do you ever leave standing water on the wood? I have never seen an interior wood product that could take it long term.

I agree it is fine if you don't mind caring for it correctly.