BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #45
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I don't disagree with any of this, and you are necessairly disagreeing with what I said either. We do not know the facts of this case. Period. He may be guilty or it may just as easily be explainable.

I normally wouldn't even respond to a thread like this, because they are just filled with eVillagers with ePitchforks. Fruitless pursuits by the unwitting.

It depends on how you define "guilty". He has already admitted to killing the lion, so in the minds of a lot people, he's already "guilty" of that. He has worked hard to shift attention onto the idea that his guides were the ones who committed a legal transgression (ie: targeting the "wrong" lion inside a protected area). He seems epically oblivious to the fact that a lot of people are not hung up on that. For them, the bigger offense is not a legal one.

Many accept hunting for food to feed your family, but are deeply unsupportive of hunting endangered species for no purpose other than to derive pleasure from watching them die. Topping it off by skinning and beheading the animal makes it all the more abhorrent to them. Whether that "hobby" is practiced inside or outside an arbitrarily designated protected area does not make that action any more or less repulsive to them. He doesnt seem to get that at all.

Sure, if he broke no laws himself, he will not be charged. Social media cannot impose legally binding criminal fines. He will not be placed on probation, nor have his license to practice dentistry revoked, nor be sent to jail, based on Ricky Gervais' twitter posts or the "ePitchfork" brigade.

If his patients all leave, that would certainly impact his business far more than a criminal fine would. But, it's their dental fees which fund such trips to Africa in the first place, and some may not choose to continue to enable that (perfectly legal) hobby.

If social media provides the transparency to allow his patients to make a more informed choice about what behaviors they are supporting, that's not a bad thing. Unlike what happened to Cecil, that would be natural selection in it's purest form.
      07-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #46
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

I wish people got this upset for when people killed other people... or other non-publicized endangered animals
Appreciate 3
      07-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #47
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Well if we're to get literal, it's actually a third world problem.
Nope...we are the ones with the problem. Zimbabwe has what 85% unemployment, a corrupt govt, disease, etc. I am sure they have more important things to worry about then a single lion.

We slaughter cows, chickens, etc by the millions to stuff our western pie holes and we have late night tv stars crying over a slain lion...give me a break.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 04:03 PM   #48
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Nope...we are the ones with the problem. Zimbabwe has what 85% unemployment, a corrupt govt, disease, etc. I am sure they have more important things to worry about then a single lion.

We slaughter cows, chickens, etc by the millions to stuff our western pie holes and we have late night tv stars crying over a slain lion...give me a break.
The conservation efforts in Zimbabwe are actually rather important to them. Think about it, it's crucial to their tourist economy.

And speaking of which:
http://news.yahoo.com/killer-cecil-l...--finance.html
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #49
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by /// M sa View Post
Turn the effing news on moron... not all cops are bad but lately everything we see is a punk with a badge and a gun taking down unarmed civilians. Go stick your head in the sand.
Good news doesn't produce ratings.

It's kind of like how people are ten times more likely to leave a bad review for a business than to leave a good review.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #50
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #51
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think there are already plenty of lynch mobs that form to ruin a cops life everytime they kill a violent criminal.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 09:46 PM   #52
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

View post on imgur.com
. People still want to defend this guy?
      08-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Yeah, you watched it...no way you couldn't..the curiosity was just too much.
Hasn't everyone been raped by a dolphin. No biggie.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #54
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshankRedem View Post
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
No way in fuck am I watching that. Your YouTube history must be fascinating.

Sadly, not even remotely. I rarely watch YouTube content. I've only seen about 100 or so YouTube videos in total. Now the content in my library is an entirely different matter.

I prefer to read because I read much faster than people speak. I don't know how fast I read these days, but not long after completing Evelyn Wood, I read at a little over 1000 words per minute with 91% comprehension. In case you aren't a speed reader, and to put that into perspective, it takes me about one to one and a half hours to read a typical novel of 300-500 pages. It takes a little bit longer with complicated non-fiction such as scholarly texts on cosmology or economics.

All the best.
Seriously? Good for you. So happy you can read fast. But you must feel pretty insecure to randomly post that!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #55
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M4

I am pretty pissed about people paying for rights to kill protected animals and I'd hope these game reserves would find alternative funding for their upkeep instead of selling these licenses. Crowd funding perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #56
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
The conservation efforts in Zimbabwe are actually rather important to them. Think about it, it's crucial to their tourist economy.

And speaking of which:
http://news.yahoo.com/killer-cecil-l...--finance.html
The conservation is there for western hunting, not conservation for itself.

As for the extradition, thats' all due to western pressure.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #57
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Someone needs to make big game hunting with their bare hands and make it popular. Guns make it so easy, there is no honour in it anymore. Line up the shot, pull a trigger and fly back home before starbucks closes.
      08-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #58
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely
Quote:
Turn the effing news on moron... not all cops are bad but lately everything we see is a punk with a badge and a gun taking down unarmed civilians. Go stick your head in the sand.
Good news doesn't produce ratings.

It's kind of like how people are ten times more likely to leave a bad review for a business than to leave a good review.
Tell that to the victims families.

And someone doing their job properly isn't "news".

People usually leave reviews when their expectations aren't met or they are exceeded.
      08-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #59
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep

Quote:
lol and the media has done a good job conditioning you to think the way they want you to.

Maybe you should go burn down and loot a CVS.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #60
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

This dentist = Patrick Bateman??
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #61
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep

Looks like his brother Jericho has been poached too.

Africa is too corrupt and backwards. Lions will be extinct in the wild sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #62
shawshankRedem
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
View post on imgur.com
. People still want to defend this guy?
mufasa mufasa mufasaaaa
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #63
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post

People usually leave reviews when their expectations aren't met or they are exceeded.
I'm not defending the guys. I'm saying that news corporations are businesses. Their job is to make money first and foremost and unfortunately the best way to do that seems to be getting people riled up over something that happens incredibly infrequently.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #64
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post

I'm not defending the guys. I'm saying that news corporations are businesses. Their job is to make money first and foremost and unfortunately the best way to do that seems to be getting people riled up over something that happens incredibly infrequently.
Well it happens enough times for people to get riled up, and not every occurrence makes the news.

Anyways.. I'm actually surprised at how much attention this thing is getting.
      08-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #65
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
No one complains when Ted Nugent does this. Hypocrisy at it's finest. All a dumb frenzy fueled by false outrage on social media. Not to mention ruined a guys life in the process.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 02:42 AM   #66
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Seriously? Good for you. So happy you can read fast. But you must feel pretty insecure to randomly post that!
Yes, it is good for me. In fact, I'm the only person for whom my reading speed is directly good for.

What I felt was a bit out of the ordinary among what I think is the far younger than I crowd that generally populates B-post. In this day an age of social media sharing of video and whatnot, that I don't much use or view YouTube is what I thought might be seen by most readers here as strange, not that I read fast.

Perhaps it's that you feel somehow diminished by my having shared that fact? If not that, then for what reason did you feel compelled to share with me your hypothesis about whatever be the extent of insecurity I "must feel?"

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0