BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Question Moving to Puerto Rico, any/all advice appreciated!

My wife is getting stationed full-time in San Juan (FEMA recovery efforts) within a few months. We'll be there most likely 1-2 years. Any advice on the moving process or living in PR specifically is appreciated!

Some logistical items:
  • I work remotely, and make my own hours, so no concerns there.
  • We have two dogs, and a snake.
  • We both make decent money, but know nothing about where to live in PR/SJ. Should we be looking at suburbs or near the beach? We currently pay $2.2k/mo for a small 1br apartment in DC, so anything around that is fine.
  • I'd like to ship my car there, but am unsure if this is worth it/feasible? I've heard the roads are terrible but it also seems there's a big car scene?
  • Suggestions on getting our belongings there, we're probably going to sell all our furniture and either get stuff there or try to rent something furnished.
  • Term is most likely 1 year renewing, so each year we'll have the option to stay or go back to DC.

Any recommendations on where to live/things to be aware of are helpful!

Last edited by Matticus91; 03-26-2019 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: words
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

NFI about PR but no way i'd bother shipping a car, too much hassle and for what. And a snake ... jebus, i'd get rid of that, just a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
And a snake ... jebus, i'd get rid of that, just a hassle.
Great input thanks! You think I should just euthanize my dogs too? Such sage advice.
Run Silent15127.00
Joekerr7926.00
Supra2k6130.50
aozer994.50
pz6193274.00
      03-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

No need to kill the fuckers but i'd ditch them too. Needy things they are.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      03-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
TURBO8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm not sure how the roads are now after the hurricane, but I assume they are worse than before. It will be pretty rough in a 135i.

I'd look for a place that is in a guarded neighborhood.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
My wife is getting stationed full-time in San Juan (FEMA recovery efforts) within a few months. We'll be there most likely 1-2 years. Any advice on the moving process or living in PR specifically is appreciated!

Some logistical items:
  • I work remotely, and make my own hours, so no concerns there.
  • We have two dogs, and a snake.
  • We both make decent money, but know nothing about where to live in PR/SJ. Should we be looking at suburbs or near the beach? We currently pay $2.2k/mo for a small 1br apartment in DC, so anything around that is fine.
  • I'd like to ship my car there, but am unsure if this is worth it/feasible? I've heard the roads are terrible but it also seems there's a big car scene?
  • Suggestions on getting our belongings there, we're probably going to sell all our furniture and either get stuff there or try to rent something furnished.
  • Term is most likely 1 year renewing, so each year we'll have the option to stay or go back to DC.

Any recommendations on where to live/things to be aware of are helpful!
This should get you a good start:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...ease-tell.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...erto-rico.html

These also give good advice:

https://www.internations.org/puerto-rico-expats
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=245
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...erto_Rico.html
http://www.expatarrivals.com/america...ng-puerto-rico

Then here are some more official, but more generic links:

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/moving.shtml
https://theculturetrip.com/caribbean...o-puerto-rico/
http://livinginpuertorico.com/pros-and-cons/
https://www.internations.org/go/moving-to-puerto-rico
http://puertoricorevealed.com/moving-to-puerto-rico/
      03-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

We just went there on vacation. The roads were horrible! I had a wrangle and it was needed. Can you store your car and lease something there?

Even though some areas looked disheveled, i felt safe the whole time with my wife and 3 kids in tow. They're still rebuilding from Maria.

El Younque is beautiful! There's lots of places near there. Is your wife working in San Juan?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
.[*]We have two dogs, and a snake.
Quote:
NFI about PR but no way i'd bother shipping a car, too much hassle and for what. And a snake ... jebus, i'd get rid of that, just a hassle.
Quote:
Great input thanks! You think I should just euthanize my dogs too? Such sage advice.
Quote:
No need to kill the fuckers but i'd ditch them too. Needy things they are.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ "Dump the kid, (dogs, and snake,) Harry"
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Was there a few years ago before the hurricane devastation. Not sure if things have changed since the rebuilt started. But watch out for the drivers there. It's one giant free for all. Even the locals joke about traffic laws being mere suggestions. I watched some insane driving where people were driving on the shoulders using them as traffic lanes. Doing U turns from the far inside lanes cutting off the next lane over making a normal left....this was done in plain view of a cop which did nothing.

If you're looking to ship your car down there, be ready to have a few battle scars.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Tell her you will see her when she gets back. BMW>PR Adios!

"Ten un buen viaje. Te veo cuando llegues a casa"- You
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
If you're looking to ship your car down there, be ready to have a few battle scars.
This. Just buy a POS to drive for two years. Enjoy the freedom of not worrying. Clean looking bmw gonna attract attention anyway, be as invisible as possible.
Appreciate 1
DM5PAV375.00
      03-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Sell the 135, buy a beater and save up for the M2 Competition Matticus.

Oh and keep the snake, as he/she will love PR. Seemed fairly jungly when i was there for airplane layover
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I'm from the island but have not been back in years so can't offer much guidance, especially since the storm, but if you go and do take a car (which I'd recommend) there is a huge car scene and I know some of the euro focused folks if you need a referral to someone that know's their ass from a hole in the ground.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Learn spanish? That was my one takeaway the winter I spent there.
Appreciate 1
TURBO82263.50
      03-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #16
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Rincon is one of my favorite hideouts to be in. Upper West coast...and within a couple hours of San Jose.

Only advice I can give is to hit the gas when the light turns green...cause if you dont, you'll hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #17
TURBO8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Another tip that I just remembered. Don't pull over for cops with their lights on, only pull over if they turn on their siren and start riding your ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #18
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO8 View Post
I'm not sure how the roads are now after the hurricane, but I assume they are worse than before. It will be pretty rough in a 135i.

I'd look for a place that is in a guarded neighborhood.
Yeah thoughts of moving the car are over, taxes are $4k alone!!

Wow man thank you so much for all this!!! I've been checking these out lots of good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
We just went there on vacation. The roads were horrible! I had a wrangle and it was needed. Can you store your car and lease something there?

Even though some areas looked disheveled, i felt safe the whole time with my wife and 3 kids in tow. They're still rebuilding from Maria.

El Younque is beautiful! There's lots of places near there. Is your wife working in San Juan?
Yeah we're likely selling her car, storing mine, and leasing a jeep or something similar.

Haven't heard of El Younque before so will definitely check that out, and she's going to be working in Guaynabo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Sell the 135, buy a beater and save up for the M2 Competition Matticus.

Oh and keep the snake, as he/she will love PR. Seemed fairly jungly when i was there for airplane layover
Lol I love my 1er not selling any time soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Rincon is one of my favorite hideouts to be in. Upper West coast...and within a couple hours of San Jose.

Only advice I can give is to hit the gas when the light turns green...cause if you dont, you'll hear about it.
I've heard a lot of great things about Rincon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO8 View Post
Another tip that I just remembered. Don't pull over for cops with their lights on, only pull over if they turn on their siren and start riding your ass.
That's an odd one, any particular reasoning? Do they just drive with their lights on normally?
      03-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
That's an odd one, any particular reasoning? Do they just drive with their lights on normally?
I think it's much like Mexico, where if you have "emergency" lights on your vehicle, they should be on at all times, whether you are going somewhere in a hurry or not. Police, fire, amberlamps, they are all on if the vehicle engine is running, and most times when it's not.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I lived there for about 9 years up until I graduated high school. Best I can describe it is like the US but everything is in Spanish and everything is shittier. I wouldn't bother taking a nice car over there unless you want to destroy it. Then again we have seen some pretty horrific roads right here in the US when we've traveled up north.

Best areas to live in:

Dorado
Condado
Old San Juan
Miramar
Ocean Park

This is basically where the rich people live. Not sure what you are looking to spend but they are not cheap. Everything else outside those areas is pretty much the same. Avoid being near the big low income buildings they have all over the island. They call them "caserios" and typically the areas around them are pretty bad. There are some huge ones and unfortunately they are spread all over the island.

If you rent something in the rich areas they will probably have AC, but note that most people and most houses in PR do not have AC like in the states. Electricity is very expensive so most people might have a window unit in the bedroom just for sleeping. Having central AC like here in the states is very rare for most of the island. Power and water go out all the time, hurricane or not.

Everything takes longer and is more convoluted that in the states.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      02-04-2020, 12:28 AM   #21
sourtneysmith
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Re:Moving to Puerto Rico, any/all advice appreciated!

Moving to Puerto Rico is a great experience for those that enjoy tropical weather and living near the beach. The weather in Puerto Rico is one of the primary reasons to consider moving there. It is warm or hot year-round in Puerto Rico. Temperatures average at around eighty degrees for the year. However, what should jump out at you is that the average low temperature in January is seventy degrees Fahrenheit. Puerto Rico is has such consistently pleasant temperatures because of its proximity to the equator.

There are many sunny days to enjoy in Puerto Rico as well as a nice cool sea breeze. However, the weather isn’t the only reason to consider moving to Puerto Rico. There are also incredible tax breaks for Puerto Rico that aren’t available anywhere else in the United States.

Long story short, the Puerto Rican Government wanted to encourage businesses, business owners and working individuals to move to Puerto Rico. So, these benefits include no double taxation, any profits you make do not have any income tax, and more.

Puerto Rico also has an incredibly rich and unique culture that you won’t find anywhere else. There is a ton of art, music, local activities, and great food. There is no shortage of things to occupy yourself with in your free time.

Also, don’t forget, Puerto Rico is a US territory, so when you move there as an American the transition is much easier than if you were moving to a completely different country. The currency is the US dollar, so no need to worry about having to exchange your money. You won’t even need a passport to travel there.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:10 AM   #22
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Any updates from Matticus91? Did you move?
Appreciate 0