BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #23
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
If you are traveling relatively short distances perhaps a helicopter would be better.
^
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
vreihen1614889.50
GenXer1351.00
      12-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Bad plan.

You buy an airplane because you *love* to fly-- not simply for convenience. It's *terrifyingly* expensive. The loan payment is usually roughly equivalent to a mortgage, maintenance is expensive (and you can't do your own unless you're an A&P), fuel is expensive, hanger space is expensive, and when (not if) parts break, you're going to have a coronary for how much a "aviation certified" widget will set you back. You think BMW parts are expensive? You have NO idea what you're in for. Go find someone who has their own plane and ask to see their financials in relation to it-- I guarantee it'll be an eye-opener.

Also, there are requirements for both you AND your aircraft. You can't just let an airplane sit and fly it once in a while-- it has to be inspected at certain intervals (either calendar-based or airframe/powerplant time-based). No inspection? No fly.

As for you and/or your wife-- you'll need to keep up with your medical, which means doctor's visits. And after you get checked out as a Private Pilot? Congratulations- you're now basically qualified to fly in VFR conditions only. The amount of what you *DON'T* know will literally fill a library. CAN you fly at night? Sure. Do you want to die? (Look up JFK Jr.-- that's a pretty good example of how a Private Pilot can get themselves into more trouble than they're equipped to handle). The solution? Time in the aircraft. In all conditions. And a LOT of studying. And more ratings-- Instrument, Multi-, Commercial, etc. Get used to Checkrides.

And, you have to log at least 3 takeoffs/landings every 90 days as well as do a BFR (Biannual Flight Review)-- and that's just the MINIMUM. Safe pilots fly a LOT more than that-- because proficiency in an aircraft is what keeps you from getting killed.

Which means it's more of a commitment than most people realize-- it's NOT a "one and done" hobby-- you are ALWAYS learning, studying, and keeping up with the books. And the penalty for failure can be huge.

As well, as someone posted above-- it takes a LOT of time to go point to point. You have to drive to the airport, do route planning/preflight duties, file a flight plan, fuel and preflight the plane, taxi out and get airborne. Then, you have to fly to your destination (which may or may not be a straight line depending on how/where you're flying to). Then, you'll have to land, refuel, fill out your logs, and finally..... FINALLY try to get an Uber or a ride to a car rental facility. And when you're ready to go home? Reverse and repeat.

Flying can be the greatest feeling ever. But there's a quote that I have up on the wall of my garage that I look at every time I go to work: "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect." — Attributed to Captain Alfred Gilmer Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London.

Something to think about. I've got over 15,000 hours in various types of aircraft and I STILL worry about screwing up in the jet.

Get your Private's first. Get some hours under your belt. Then, and ONLY then, start considering if you want an airplane.

Just my 0.02.

R.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1614889.50
N54Yankee2706.00
dinonz3214.00
      12-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #25
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Bad plan.

You buy an airplane because you *love* to fly-- not simply for convenience. It's *terrifyingly* expensive. The loan payment is usually roughly equivalent to a mortgage, maintenance is expensive (and you can't do your own unless you're an A&P), fuel is expensive, hanger space is expensive, and when (not if) parts break, you're going to have a coronary for how much a "aviation certified" widget will set you back. You think BMW parts are expensive? You have NO idea what you're in for. Go find someone who has their own plane and ask to see their financials in relation to it-- I guarantee it'll be an eye-opener.

Also, there are requirements for both you AND your aircraft. You can't just let an airplane sit and fly it once in a while-- it has to be inspected at certain intervals (either calendar-based or airframe/powerplant time-based). No inspection? No fly.

As for you and/or your wife-- you'll need to keep up with your medical, which means doctor's visits. And after you get checked out as a Private Pilot? Congratulations- you're now basically qualified to fly in VFR conditions only. The amount of what you *DON'T* know will literally fill a library. CAN you fly at night? Sure. Do you want to die? (Look up JFK Jr.-- that's a pretty good example of how a Private Pilot can get themselves into more trouble than they're equipped to handle). The solution? Time in the aircraft. In all conditions. And a LOT of studying. And more ratings-- Instrument, Multi-, Commercial, etc. Get used to Checkrides.

And, you have to log at least 3 takeoffs/landings every 90 days as well as do a BFR (Biannual Flight Review)-- and that's just the MINIMUM. Safe pilots fly a LOT more than that-- because proficiency in an aircraft is what keeps you from getting killed.

Which means it's more of a commitment than most people realize-- it's NOT a "one and done" hobby-- you are ALWAYS learning, studying, and keeping up with the books. And the penalty for failure can be huge.

As well, as someone posted above-- it takes a LOT of time to go point to point. You have to drive to the airport, do route planning/preflight duties, file a flight plan, fuel and preflight the plane, taxi out and get airborne. Then, you have to fly to your destination (which may or may not be a straight line depending on how/where you're flying to). Then, you'll have to land, refuel, fill out your logs, and finally..... FINALLY try to get an Uber or a ride to a car rental facility. And when you're ready to go home? Reverse and repeat.

Flying can be the greatest feeling ever. But there's a quote that I have up on the wall of my garage that I look at every time I go to work: "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect." — Attributed to Captain Alfred Gilmer Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London.

Something to think about. I've got over 15,000 hours in various types of aircraft and I STILL worry about screwing up in the jet.

Get your Private's first. Get some hours under your belt. Then, and ONLY then, start considering if you want an airplane.

Just my 0.02.

R.

Thank you for your well thought out and detailed post! Actually already decided to place the idea on hold until some point in the future. Even bought the car instead and I feel good about the decision.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6617.50