BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

09-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
hunnypuppy
Rep
Drives: 08 535i

Coolant around oil filter

I’ve searched around the forum but can’t seem to find anything like this.

I have an 08 535i. Last year I had the oil filter gaskets (upper and lower), connected hose pipe and serpentine belt changed.

Today I noticed the coolant level on the lower side (no warning light just manually inspected the reservoir). Then I noticed that there was a greenish coolant around the oil filter housing (upper and lower).

Attaching two pictures of the same.

I don't see any oil inside the coolant housing. It's a deep green color liquid. I tried to check the engine by opening the top fill cap. It's looks light brown but can't see any liquid oil from there. I don't drive much a few short miles a day at best.

Anyone know if this normal, just a coolant pipe leak around the filter (is there one that can causing it to show up on top and bottom of the filter with some spattering around the belt/rollers) or if this a blown engine gasket or some other way for the coolant to get into the oil filter housing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
planesman
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xi E60

Coolant leak from oil filter housing.

I have coolant coming from a small hole in top of oil filter housing on my N54, 2010 535xi.

Did you ever figure out where or why yours was leaking?
Attached Images

Last edited by planesman; 01-29-2020 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
hunnypuppy
Rep
Drives: 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by planesman View Post
I have coolant coming from a small hole in top of oil filter housing on my N54, 2010 535xi.

Did you ever figure out where or why yours was leaking?
It was a bad gasket, I had the service company replace both gaskets (upper and lower) in the oil filter and the problem was resolved. Thankfully it hadn't leaked into the coolant (blue) which if it did will show up in the coolant reservoir floating on top.
Appreciate 0