BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

A time to vent...

ffffffff man!!!!!!!! College is almost unbearable at times. I'm going into my last semester at commuinity college and my mom is on me about being a full time student and maintaining that status, it's something I HAVE to do. No way around it. Anyways, I was selecting classes for next semester and I've completed all but two of my GE classes, which ar included in the classes I've selected for next semster, then i was forced to choose two absolute B.S. classes that I don't even need.... all in thanks to mom. LoL. Anyways, it just stresses me out that I have to do all of this for what?!?!?!!?... i'm so over college, and in truth I don't even want to go to a university... I want to go to art school. Would be a much much MUCH better fit for me... then again the parentals have given me a hard time on that one too.... so...

Just posted this to start some sort of stress relief thread, or perhaps you guys can share your college stories and or experiences as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Maintaining full-time status has a lot to deal with Financial Aid and Medical Insurance Coverage. Once you dip below (I believe) 12 credits, I believe they cut you off because they assume that you must be gainfully employed....

Regardless, I feel your pain. I was in your situation not to long ago. I guess you have to take the path that you feel you'll be happy with in the long-run.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Yeh, it's a real balancing act. Having to work part time as well, everything in life seems to happen at once wether you realize it or not, recognize it or not, it's happening, and trying to balance it all..... you wonder sometimes how some people do it. A strong mind and will is an absolute necessity if you want sucess in this life... I'm just trying to make the most of it. It can be done. One thing is for sure, you can't crack, you can't break. Now where's my 335Ci?????...

Last edited by E90-4life; 12-19-2005 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
Now where's my 335Ci?????...

haha...amen
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

college is a b*tch! I dont feel like going anymore but cant. Parents will b on my a$$ just like that if i drop out. But if you feel like art college is better for you then by all means go for it. People usually succeed in things that they're interested in/good at. I guess i'll share my story here. My uncle who owns a company ($90 millions net worth). He offered me free tuition plus $2000 a month just to go to school. THe catch was that i had to major in Electrical Engineering (his major). I will work for him during summers and after i graduate. I will even take over the company.

It sounds freaking awesome. My life was all planned out. The thing was...I can't imagine myself being an engineer. I prefer doing business ( travelling, involving in transactions and such). To me engineering is very boring (stuck in a room all day tryin to invent stuff). So I turned down the offer...I told him I want to do something Im interested in. You know what he said ??? "I agree with you. You have follow something you're interested in to succeed. When my kids grow up, they can do whatever they want. I wont force them into anything. But if you ever change your mind, the offer still stands."
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

How tough can a CC be? It's not like being a full-time student at an Ivy League school. Since when did being a full-time student become something tough? Do you have a full-time job too?

Have you considered a professionally focused design college? Look into AiLA or AiOC. Good balance of art/design/professional skills. I've had students graduate (Interactive Media Design) and earn 35, 50, even 75K their first year.

Last edited by Petercat; 12-20-2005 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
How tough can a CC be? It's not like being a full-time student at an Ivy League school. Since when did being a full-time student become something tough? Do you have a full-time job too?

I hate to promote my employer (seriously), but have you considered a professionally focused design college? Look into AiLA or AiOC. Good balance of art/design/professional skills. I've had students graduate (Interactive Media Design) and earn 35, 50, even 75K their first year.
CC can be hard depending on what classes you choose to take. If you're going to take beginning piano and art appreciation all your years at a CC, of course it's not hard.

Also.. 35 and 50k a year is not that much -- even for a first year graduate. Do u know what you can buy for 75K in California? Half a mobile home.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #8
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I like taking classes that I don't even need. Sometimes I end up liking the course. I'm in a different situation though, so I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
CC can be hard depending on what classes you choose to take. If you're going to take beginning piano and art appreciation all your years at a CC, of course it's not hard.

Also.. 35 and 50k a year is not that much -- even for a first year graduate. Do u know what you can buy for 75K in California? Half a mobile home.
If you apply yourself, the first two years of undergad are not tough. Mostly Gen Ed's in the first two years (basic knowledge). Although everyone faces different learning challenges (if he has learning disabilities I will retract my statement). Things don't get tough until you get to upper level courses.

Of course I am refering to the graduates in the Minnespolis job market. The average starting salary is 35K, which is really good for an AAS degree. The good students are making 50K and like I said there have been some who are actually making 75K (designing labels for ice cream treats), right out of college is awesome. Especially with a design degree (which he said he wants to go to art school). A BFA or even an MFA would be lucky to make that kind of money.

I just wanted to tell the kid he's got options and not think that an Art School is as worthless as a parent may suspect.
      12-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

50K a year and you're pretty much homeless out here!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #11
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep

Maybe ya'll should consider living outside of California for the first couple years after graduation if the cost of living is so tough.

What about the full-time thing? Did you all have the pleasure of not taking a full load in college? I know it wasn't an option for my insurance and student loans.
      12-20-2005, 08:51 PM   #12
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
50K a year and you're pretty much homeless out here!

That's my point exactly. The bay area is so expensiveeeeeee

My teachers make liek 55k and they always complain about how they're poor.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

My first two years of college were painfully easy and I went to a pretty well respected uni taking 15-18 credits a semester and working. Honestly, I don't understand how CC could be that tough.

If you think the Gen Ed classes are tough, do go to art school.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 09:12 PM   #14
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
Your words mean a whole lot from behind a keyboard, no doubt. Ivy league school or COMMUINITY COLLEGE, school is school. Being a college professor this should be dummy knowledge for you. Lastly, I never said anything about C.C. ifself being "tough", so if you want to dramatize my post, be my guest. I won't be the one looking like an idiot.

Last edited by E90-4life; 12-20-2005 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your words mean a whole lot from behind a keyboard, no doubt. Ivy league school or COMMUINITY COLLEGE, school is school. Being a college professor this should be dummy knowledge for you. Lastly, I never said anything about C.C. ifself being "tough", so if you want to dramatize my post, be my guest. I won't be the one looking like an idiot.
I didn't intend on being a dick... I talk to my students about this stuff all the time. Often students have a hard time setting their priorities. I tell them the same thing. Do you want to keep your part time job at UPS lifting boxes or do you want to be a student working toward your future? It's your life, you make the choice.

Also you bring up me making the drama out of your post? I think you need to go back and re-read your first words. Many exclamation points, many repeated characters, all caps words... Seems like you set the tone for drama. Please forgive me for trying to positively contribute to your thoughts. Good Luck.

Quote:
ffffffff man!!!!!!!! College is almost unbearable at times. I'm going into my last semester at commuinity college and my mom is on me about being a full time student and maintaining that status, it's something I HAVE to do. No way around it. Anyways, I was selecting classes for next semester and I've completed all but two of my GE classes, which ar included in the classes I've selected for next semster, then i was forced to choose two absolute B.S. classes that I don't even need.... all in thanks to mom. LoL. Anyways, it just stresses me out that I have to do all of this for what?!?!?!!?... i'm so over college, and in truth I don't even want to go to a university... I want to go to art school. Would be a much much MUCH better fit for me... then again the parentals have given me a hard time on that one too.... so...

Just posted this to start some sort of stress relief thread, or perhaps you guys can share your college stories and or experiences as well...
My college experience was a good one... Fairly easy for me. 16 credits is hardly a burden.
      12-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #16
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It sounded like the requirement to take BS GE classes was the real problem.

Going to school is tough, but wait til you get out, get married, have kids and a mortgage, college expenses for those kids, etc. Then you'll be holding down a full job, plus looking for one or two or three side ones to make ends meet and keep that nice car. Your mom wants to make sure you do well, plus she needs to keep you insured. We had a similar problem with our middle son, but then the wrestling coach got a hold of him and he's carrying the load, plus coaching at the local high school . . .
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #17
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
It sounded like the requirement to take BS GE classes was the real problem.

Going to school is tough, but wait til you get out, get married, have kids and a mortgage, college expenses for those kids, etc. Then you'll be holding down a full job, plus looking for one or two or three side ones to make ends meet and keep that nice car. Your mom wants to make sure you do well, plus she needs to keep you insured. We had a similar problem with our middle son, but then the wrestling coach got a hold of him and he's carrying the load, plus coaching at the local high school . . .

OMG that totally sounds like my parents. My mom always makes me feel bad when I go shopping. "KATHRYNN you can't just buy anything you wantttt I have to pay for your college tuittionnn next year anddd pay for your living far away." I really do feel guilty sometimes when I excessively spend. MM.. Yeah I don't think I'll ever have kids. I LOVE CHILDREN-- just not my own children. It'll save me money. Like.. I did out the math how much i fdigure.. id save at least 200k by not having a kid. 200k is a down payment for a condo.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #18
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Speaking of college, I just got invited for an interview at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Yeshiva University), Biomedical Graduate program, in Bronx, NY. I'm stoked. Looking forward grueling 12 hours a day in the laboratory. Oh, the irony.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #19
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Speaking of college, I just got invited for an interview at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Yeshiva University), Biomedical Graduate program, in Bronx, NY. I'm stoked. Looking forward grueling 12 hours a day in the laboratory. Oh, the irony.

anything that includes the prefix BIO scares me. hard harddd harddd
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #20
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

That reminds me.. I have an interview at Uinversity of the Pacific for the pre-dental program in a few weeks. wish me luck!

are they going to ask questions bout dental program that i wont know about? ashduasdasd
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:42 AM   #21
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

That sounds good, Enroutte, although I am quite surprised they're doing interviews for undergraduate studies...they usually reserve that for graduate or professional (i.e. law, medical, etc.) programs.

Are you sure you want to go dental? They're going to ask you reasons for your interests in choosing pre-dental and what you hope to achieve as a dentist on top of long term career goals. You better rehearse some answers right now! You're also going to have to learn a bit of BIO in a dental undergrad AND grad program :P

By the way, why are you changing your avatar every couple hours?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #22
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
That sounds good, Enroutte, although I am quite surprised they're doing interviews for undergraduate studies...they usually reserve that for graduate or professional (i.e. law, medical, etc.) programs.

Are you sure you want to go dental? They're going to ask you reasons for your interests in choosing pre-dental and what you hope to achieve as a dentist on top of long term career goals. You better rehearse some answers right now! You're also going to have to learn a bit of BIO in a dental undergrad AND grad program :P

By the way, why are you changing your avatar every couple hours?
I get sick of looking at myself so I change it.

Anyway yeahh it's weird to have an interview but this school has like special accelerated pharmacy and dental programs. finish it quickly and get out! ya i knowill have to learn bio.. thats why im dreading it. yuck yuckkk

theyll probably be like "Why do you want to come here? What can you offer this school? How will you contribute to University of the Pacific? How will you bring out our mission statement in your everyday activities?" same questions they ask liek everywher epsh
Appreciate 0