BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

09-13-2023, 10:51 PM   #1
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW E92 M3

Starfield | Who is playing?!

09-14-2023, 10:15 AM   #2
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Me, but I'm not taking advantage of the exploits.

I haven't had the chance to play much yet as I've been too busy with house work and such, but I have I think 7 hours so far. Haven't left New Atlantis yet, just running around doing all the dumb little side quests to gain some XP.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:31 AM   #3
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Me, but I'm not taking advantage of the exploits.

I haven't had the chance to play much yet as I've been too busy with house work and such, but I have I think 7 hours so far. Haven't left New Atlantis yet, just running around doing all the dumb little side quests to gain some XP.
You going to do all this NG+ nonsense?
      09-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #4
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Playing on PC. The game has tons of potential but real poor execution of a lot of things like the menu systems. Since it's on PC I can use console commands to bypass a lot of inventory management garbage. If I wanted a spreadsheet simulator I'd play EVE or something.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 11:08 AM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Playing on PC. The game has tons of potential but real poor execution of a lot of things like the menu systems. Since it's on PC I can use console commands to bypass a lot of inventory management garbage. If I wanted a spreadsheet simulator I'd play EVE or something.
Mods will eventually solve this. I know there are some mods already out, but I haven't looked to see what they are.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 11:16 AM   #6
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Lord View Post
You going to do all this NG+ nonsense?
Maybe, maybe not. My understanding is you basically start over but with your stats/achievements saved. Horizon Zero Dawn does this and it made the next round of the game not as fun IMO, but the story progression/quests and difficulty doesn't change in HZD where as SF I guess that can change?

Usually with Bethesda games I create a save right before the final decision for the storyline, finish the game to see the outcome, then reload that save and don't make the final decision and play however I want to play (go mod crazy, exploits, console commands, etc.). I try to stick to QoL mods that don't really give an advantage until that point.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. My understanding is you basically start over but with your stats/achievements saved. Horizon Zero Dawn does this and it made the next round of the game not as fun IMO, but the story progression/quests and difficulty doesn't change in HZD where as SF I guess that can change?

Usually with Bethesda games I create a save right before the final decision for the storyline, finish the game to see the outcome, then reload that save and don't make the final decision and play however I want to play (go mod crazy, exploits, console commands, etc.). I try to stick to QoL mods that don't really give an advantage until that point.
Without spoiling anything the NG+ isn't like your standard NG+. Don't sweat the important decisions too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 08:42 PM   #8
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Takes getting used to after Flalout/Skyrim
      09-15-2023, 11:50 PM   #9
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I had Starfield on my wishlist for a while and ran across so much negativity with launch I just stayed my hand for the time being, especially for the price. Picked up Valheim for sale, and it was already fairly cheap "full" price. Beautiful game, especially with some graphics mods. Lot of nice touches and finer details. I regret summoning the first boss because I had to run away, and it took forever for it to lose interest.. but not before tearing my house down. By the time I get tired of it, I'm hoping Starfield will have some of the gripes and bugs addressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 12:21 AM   #10
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I had Starfield on my wishlist for a while and ran across so much negativity with launch I just stayed my hand for the time being, especially for the price. Picked up Valheim for sale, and it was already fairly cheap "full" price. Beautiful game, especially with some graphics mods. Lot of nice touches and finer details. I regret summoning the first boss because I had to run away, and it took forever for it to lose interest.. but not before tearing my house down. By the time I get tired of it, I'm hoping Starfield will have some of the gripes and bugs addressed.
I have about 35 hours in Starfield and so far have experienced little to no bugs at all. I don’t see where all the negativity is coming from. My only complaint is that it starts off a bit slow. Took me a few hours before I got hooked.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1286.00
      09-16-2023, 12:34 AM   #11
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
I have about 35 hours in Starfield and so far have experienced little to no bugs at all. I don’t see where all the negativity is coming from. My only complaint is that it starts off a bit slow. Took me a few hours before I got hooked.
My game has crashed twice since release day.

That is so far less than I remember the Fallouts and Skyrim crashing on me.

I feel like Fallout would crash once a day. Skyrim about the same.

I think I read that the Xbox Series S's are more likely to crash, idk why. Also people playing it through a browser have bad luck.
      09-22-2023, 10:21 AM   #12
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Playing on xbox cloud since its available. Will wait till it has tons of mods and sub $20 to buy and mess around with.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 10:38 AM   #13
pshep138
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
2015 Audi S4  [5.00]
I downloaded it since it's free on Xbox GamePass. Couldn't play much the first day I had it, but played for 3-4 hours yesterday. Did the first mission where you fly to that first moon and fight the pirates in that research station or whatever.

It's interesting but I can't say it's engaging me the way Fallout 4 or Skyrim did.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #14
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshep138 View Post
I downloaded it since it's free on Xbox GamePass. Couldn't play much the first day I had it, but played for 3-4 hours yesterday. Did the first mission where you fly to that first moon and fight the pirates in that research station or whatever.

It's interesting but I can't say it's engaging me the way Fallout 4 or Skyrim did.
It starts out slow. I really didn't get engaged until I left the main storyline and went off on my own. Picked a random planet and started exploring, found a mining facility, realized they have mission boards with random stuff to do.

Appreciate 1
pshep138178.50
      09-23-2023, 09:31 AM   #15
pshep138
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
2015 Audi S4  [5.00]
Quote:
It starts out slow. I really didn't get engaged until I left the main storyline and went off on my own. Picked a random planet and started exploring, found a mining facility, realized they have mission boards with random stuff to do.
Oh really? I might have to do that. I've played through Skyrim 4 or 5 different times, and that's what I did in that game. I didn't complete the main story until I was 100+ hours into the game.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 01:02 PM   #16
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshep138 View Post
Oh really? I might have to do that. I've played through Skyrim 4 or 5 different times, and that's what I did in that game. I didn't complete the main story until I was 100+ hours into the game.
The main storyline is rather bland IMO. Take this person as your crew, go here, do a simple task, get an artifact. Theres not even any challenge or long questline to get the artifacts, at least not yet. Maybe it gets better farther into the game.

It seems theres plenty to explore on planets, only downside is you have to land in a spot and then explore on foot from there. I landed at a fracking facility and there were about 10 markers on the HUD for caves and unknown POI's all within about 1500m of where I landed. New markers keep popping up as I walk. Plus tons of flora and fauna to scan and mess with. Fracking facility had a mission kiosk with 10 or so missions from hunting and killing pirate leaders to clearing dangerous animals from caves.

Appreciate 1
pshep138178.50
      12-24-2023, 09:35 PM   #17
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep

this game died off for me
      12-26-2023, 10:51 PM   #18
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Lord View Post
this game died off for me
Agreed. I got bored pretty fast, especially after NG+. Hopefully Bethesda takes some of the complaints from players and push out some updates that bring some life to it. I think it has potential to be awesome, but it's just empty right now.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:44 AM   #19
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentley.wood View Post
Well, I guess negativity surrounds the game, possibly fueled by heightened expectations and skepticism after previous releases. But personally I like the game - a rich story is always crucial for me
I did probably have higher expectations for the game, but Bethesda also claimed a lot more than they delivered. It was not a "new" experience, it was not industry changing.

The story was bland and short IMO, characters are robots, NPC are robots. Quests are thoughtless and require minimal effort or skill. The only real fun quest was the one where you jump between realities because it actually made me think. Granted it's supposed to be about getting out and exploring and not focused as much on the story, it was still not exciting or captivating.

But, story aside, the biggest issue folks have is the copy/paste that was used everywhere. I can land on a planet, climb to he highest point and see the same landmarks, same textures, same shapes, same colors pasted over and over. I see the same facilities scattered about, all with roughly the same distance between them. Every facility type is the same layout, with the same NPC enemy locations with the same tactics and same patrol routes, same loot locations, etc. Once you've been to one research facility, one mining facility you've seen them all. It was clearly a "build 1000 worlds with minimal effort" strategy. All of that combined with a pointless ship gameplay thats literally just a means of fast travel to get you through numerous loading screens, it's just a meh game.

To top it off, we're told by Bethesda we are playing it wrong, and you're supposed to go out and explore and find new things. Whats new to find? Planets and locations are pretty much the same just with different colors, alien wildlife is all the same throughout the entire system and far too abundant and robotic, and I am forced to walk through it all while not ever coming across anything. Again, all locations are the same and all loot is in the same spots, so why walk around? I'm not going to stumble upon a random local settlement with fun and interesting side quests. And to top it off, this "exploration" game limits me to traveling 4.8km from my ship.....................

It's a very empty game right now, and for a game thats supposed to be about exploration theres literally nothing to explore.

The Creation Kit is being released soon, and I hope modders will run with it and bring some life to it all. I also hope Bethesda listesn to our feedback and addresses things in updates. They claim new ways to travel are coming, what that means no one knows. I think it has huge potential, but it did not live up to the hype, nor does it live up to expectations from a AAA studio that gave us Skyrim. THAT was a industry changing new experience.

Appreciate 1
Rocket455482.50
      12-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #20
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Just completed the game after 2.5 months (XBox X). It's a beautiful looking game that mostly plays well, but imo doesn't hold a candle to Witcher 3 (or Skyrim or Fallout 4, for that matter). I think the lack of 'continuity' due to loading screens and random map seeding took away from the some of the immersion and effectively disincentivized me from doing any real exploration, which was a huge draw for me in the aforementioned 3 titles. Towards the end it was a bit of a chore seeing the main quest through. It's still a great game, but I've been spoiled by Witcher 3 which set the bar pretty high.
      12-28-2023, 08:22 PM   #21
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I got it thinking it would hold me til Elder Scrolls 6 gets released in 2035 but got bored of it after a month, haven’t played it since and forgot about it. This thread is reminding me to put it on offer up, thanks.
Appreciate 0