BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

09-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
kasgul
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i Xdrive

BMW 528i XDrive 2009 - OBD2 codes

Hi,

I don't have much experience with car mechanics however I am curious therefore when an array of light appeared on my dash and with several weeks between now and my repair appointment, I decided to buy an OBD2 scanner to see what Issues I had.

To note, I have noticed that there were oil leaking from underneath the car but it doesnt seem to leak anymore... no more oil wherever the problem is I assume ...

So here's the list.

E1E0 Message (Distance travalled, 0x1 A6) faulty, reciever CIC, transmitter DSC

A559 Instrument cluster. Instrument panel: power supply swiched off

55C3 AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque

55C6 Message (wheel speed, 0xCE) error reveiver VTG, transmitter DSC

5DEC DSC: transfer case malfunction

5E27 5E27 Front left wheel sensor : not plausible

CF2B No message from longitudinal dynamics management reveiver EGS transmitter GWS/LDM

CF34 Message from the DSC reveiver EGS, transmitter DSC

2A16 Fuel tank ventilation system and purge air system micro leak

29F4 DME: catalytic converter conversion

29F5 DME: catalytic converter conversion2

From what I read online, I assume my transfer case must have ran out of oil and shut down.

What are your opinions?

Also, some codes are leading towards transmission issues - which could have ran out of oil also but the mechanic mentioned that 528i transmissions shouldn't leak ... which also makes sense because the car started to show a delay between shifting lower gears.

I know I'm looking at a pricy fix but you guys have opinions?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 01:46 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

I would recommend either posting your question in the e90 forum or 5series.net. Most of the posts in here are for sale ads and rarely get answered.

With your scanner, I would clear all of the codes and rescan after a few days. That will tell you what the persistence faults are and are transient.

Several of your faults (anything pertaining to DSC, VTG AWD) are likely all caused by your front left wheel speed sensor being inop (DTC 5E27). It's a $20 part and a 20 minute fix. When the sensor is inop, it cascades faults to the DSC. Never had one fail on my e60, but on my e91, I've replaced 2 in the last year.

All of the lights (Yellow ABS) icon, DSC on I drive and probably some AWD fault would all be triggered from that one simple part.

The BMW part number is 34526771700. From BMW, it's $120. It's a very simple part so I wouldn't hesitate on using an aftermarket one, like this for $26:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3TRVSG...9XT89MM0ZMV3H6
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
kasgul
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i Xdrive

I'll try that and let you know.

Thanks for the reply, I'll also post on the other forums!

Appreciated.
Appreciate 0