BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
RS_E60
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 530D

530D LCI AUTO Stalling While Driving

Hi all,

After some urgent help here please if anyone is able to assist. So not long ago, I purchased an E60 530D LCI (2008). Car has been running fine for about 4000 miles until one day last month when it was quite a warm day and after a few hours of motorway driving, it suddenly felt like it had jolted and just turned off on me. By turned off, I mean that the accessory / ignition (idrive etc) continued to be on however the engine had in effect turned off and gone into neutral.

A fuel pump fault was displayed and the car would just continue to crank and not start. After half an hour to an hour it started.

Scanned the codes and it gave faults relating to the EKPS:

6292: EKP Motor: Voltage too low
6293: EKP Engine: Current too high

Managed to get home all good no further faults once it had started again. Faults had also disappeared as I cleared them but never came back. A month later, the same thing happened. Thankfully on a residential road where I could just pull over safely. Half an hour later it was happy to restart, but couldn’t clear the faults until it was happy to start.

I then looked at where the EKPS is located and felt it, it was in my opinion, far hotter than it should be. So I purchased one from a local breaker from a like to like model (2009 – 235bhp 530D). With the EKPS unit that I just bought, it still gets hot, hotter than a friends E60 530D after a similar amount of time driving, so I’m kind of at a loss. I know the EKPS is what controls the fuel pump, could a faulty fuel pump be drawing too much current in order to cause the EKPS to heat up and shut off?

Either way, tomorrow or Wednesday I am getting a new fuel pump fitted but will be a genuine bmw part as its been ordered. I should add, the following day of it happening the first time I gave the car a full service inc a fuel filter just incase that was the cause but obviously not!

Driving around locally, the car is happy to drive and feels absolutely perfect. Even if I was to take it on an hour journey to the motorway from Cov to Northampton and back etc, but the EKPS does get hot. Both times it has happened, from memory it has just been over a quarter tank.

Can anyone shed some help with this please? Just lost confidence in the car and a really disheartening issue to have.

Thanks in advance,

RS.
Appreciate 0