BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
DelsFan
Death before Prius. And FWD biased AWD systems.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 525i, soon: BMW X3

Transmission Surge when nearing stop - 2007 525i

I have a 2007 525i with 160,000 miles. Owned since 2010 and regularly serviced. I noticed the other day, all of a sudden, that when I (nearly) come to a stop, just before I reach a complete stop the car wants to lurch forward a bit, like I've barely tapped the gas one time (the car lurches once, but doesn't continue to pull; so then the car stops and everything else about the stop is normal). It happens nearly every time I come to a stop. My independent guy who does all my other (engine, suspension, brake) work says he thinks the transmission needs rebuilding, maybe $2800 to $3200. He has a friend who does transmission work; he doesn't do any transmission work himself. I believe he (my normal guy) has checked the level of the transmission fluid (don't know how that is done) and it was OK. I've not taken it to his friend yet.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was hoping it was a clogged filter or low fluid or something - has anyone else run into this problem (and come up with a simple fix!). I've never serviced the transmission; one of the service guys at the BMW dealer said one time that if there was no problem, that servicing the transmission wasn't necessary. If the transmission needs rebuilding, does $3000 or so sound like a reasonable price (in a big city)? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:59 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

First…. unless you are throwing codes for a transmission problem, this doesn't sound like the transmission. In my case, I wasn't throwing any codes, so I was somewhat fishing.

I had an an issue on my e91 after servicing the AC that caused what you describe to happen. If the problem you are experiencing does not happen with the AC off, you may be in an overcharged situation. It was fixed by simply reducing the pressure in the system. Prior to that, I did most of the other fixes associated with this problem where surges occur… cleaned MAF sensor, tested & cleaned VANOS solenoids, and cleaned VANOS check valves. None of those solutions worked in my case, but are common fixes for the problem you describe.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #3
4myE60
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 535xi

i had the same issura on two other 5 series e60 bopdy and its a simple fix. reset the transmission learning (google how to reset bmw e60 transmission) over one week every day once until the problem stops. DO NOT fix transmission before you try this. Once you save 3 grand you will be surprised
Appreciate 0