BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

06-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
buro
Registered
Rep
Drives: E61 525i (M54)

Timing chain skip on M54?

Hi all,

I bought a 2005 525i with an M54, 282k km on it, about three weeks ago. I thought it lacked some power during the test drive but I drove there in an EV and so I thought I might just have been spoiled.

The evening after I took it home I floored it when entering the highway and at 5k rpm in 3rd gear it went into limp mode. Everything went away after a restart.
Read out the odb, got P0011 and P0014.
By this point after reading some common problems I was thinking it may be the vanos solenoids, replaced the intake one and felt a bit more torque until 1.8k rpm (can't really get to the exhaust that easily). Still, went to a mechanic with it and he tells me the timing chain has probably skipped a tooth, and that the aftermarket solenoids I bought are probably worse than what's already in there.

Now both the dealer I bought it from and a trusted friend tell me this (timing skip) is impossible, and that it would run horribly if it was the case (it runs well, smooth idle, just not the power I expected from 190hp, mechanic agreed it was missing power).

Do you guys think the chain may have skipped a tooth? If not, any ideas on what may be the issue?

The mechanic also sent me these images which should implicate the skipped tooth, but I don't really understand what I am looking at (see attached).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0