BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Closed Thread

11-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #45
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
How was the past controversies much worse?

There was never a time where the race director decided the outcome of a WDC and the FIA admitted it was human error.
I know many have not watched F1 very long and/or have studied F1 history. But this isn't the first time stewards decisions had a direct affect on the outcome of championship.

Senna/Prost rivalry was far more contentious that Lewis/Max. Senna/Prost absolutely despised each other.

Stewards awarded Prost the 89 championship post race in Suzaka. After Senna had restarted after their collision, pitted for front wing and went on to pass for the win. The stewards post race disqualified Senna for cutting the chicane, despite sitting there for an eternity getting his car restarted. For longer than any advantage by cutting the chicane. Hamilton blew through chicane in the beginning of 2021 finale, but received to no penalty.

This was a massive controversy back then. If Senna/Prost played out today it would blow Lewis/Max out of the water. Senna declared war on the FIA and its president. FIA had it out for Senna and clearly favored Prost. FIA president at the time was French and so was Prost.

Last edited by M3WC; 11-01-2022 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
NickyC17453.50
      11-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #46
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post

If you disregard all the freebies from 2021, including Merc crashing out Max at Hungary, Lewis nearly killing Max in Silverstone, Max getting half points at Spa, Lewis getting away with a bunch of shady driving, etc etc, here are the facts:
Was any of that confirmed to be the result of human error by the fia?

Thought so.
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      11-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #47
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Was any of that confirmed to be the result of human error by the fia?

Thought so.
Spoiler:

Max and Lewis arrived at Abu Dhabi both with 369.5 points
If Max finished Silverstone even in second place without fastest lap he would arrive at Abu Dhabi with 387.5 points

That means Max would have won the championship even if it finished under a safety car and he was in second place. (405.5 vs 394.5 points excluding FASTEST LAP)

And that's the most catering scenario for you LH44 boys, so let me know if you want me to show you just how bad Max destroyed Lewis in 2021 by including the other races. Narrowing down 2021 to the last lap of Abu Dhabi is so pathetic, it's almost sad.

It's over for Lewis - time to move on.
Appreciate 3
      11-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #48
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I know many have not watched F1 very long and/or have studied F1 history. But this isn't the first time stewards decisions had a direct affect on the outcome of championship.

Senna/Prost rivalry was far more contentious that Lewis/Max. Senna/Prost absolutely despised each other.

Stewards awarded Prost the 89 championship post race in Suzaka. After Senna had restarted after their collision, pitted for front wing and went on to pass for the win. The stewards post race disqualified Senna for cutting the chicane, despite sitting there for an eternity getting his car restarted. For longer than any advantage by cutting the chicane. Hamilton blew through chicane in the beginning of 2021 finale, but received to no penalty.

This was a massive controversy back then. If Senna/Prost played out today it would blow Lewis/Max out of the water. Senna declared war on the FIA and its president. FIA had it out for Senna and clearly favored Prost. FIA president at the time was French and so was Prost.
I remember that, I believe the issue was that he got out of the car and had help to restart the car. Therefore it was the right albeit a late call within the rules.

The Hamilton no penalty is not even close to the same.

Also FIA didn't confirm the resulting outcome was due to human error made by the race director.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #49
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

And that's the most catering scenario for you LH44 boys, so let me know if you want me to show you just how bad Max destroyed Lewis in 2021 by including the other races. Narrowing down 2021 to the last lap of Abu Dhabi is so pathetic, it's almost sad.
It is sad that you can't accept those outcomes but accept one that was confirmed to be due to a human error by the race director.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #50
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
It is sad that you can't accept those outcomes but accept one that was confirmed to be due to a human error by the race director.

Max gets P2 in Silverstone and doesn't get crashed by Merc in Hungary with P3: Arrives at Abu Dhabi with 402.5 points

Max would have clinched the championship at Jeddah.

Should I continue? I'm not even assuming Max finishes ahead of Lewis in either of those two races.
Appreciate 3
      11-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #51
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I remember that, I believe the issue was that he got out of the car and had help to restart the car. Therefore it was the right albeit late call within the rules.
He never left the car. Trackside workers pulled vehicles apart, he eventually got restarted and rejoined the race.
Quote:
The Hamilton no penalty is not even close to the same.
Senna was only disqualified for cutting chicane, not joining circuit were he went off.

Quote:
Also FIA didn't confirm the resulting outcome was due to human error made by the race director.
Worse they sited five previous incidents which occurred earlier in season and previous year. Those incidents had absolutely nothing to do with Suzaka 89. French FISA president was protecting their French driver.

McLaren took the disqualification to the courts, French courts of all places. This would have a mega controversy if played out today with social media and current F1 tabloid journalism. It was massive back then, really changed F1 and Senna's career.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #52
E86Z4MC
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
The hilarious part of this cope is that if there was enough time to lap all of the cars, Hamilton still would have lost.

We've had these conversations like 500x already this year.

If you disregard all the freebies from 2021, including Merc crashing out Max at Hungary, Lewis nearly killing Max in Silverstone, Max getting half points at Spa, Lewis getting away with a bunch of shady driving, etc etc, here are the facts:

Attachment 3022780

Max was the champion of 2021 in an inferior car no matter how hard you cry into your pillow every night and wondering "what if." They shouldn't have even been close to even on points entering Abu Dhabi. You can't just fabricate these fantasy scenarios for one race and disregard all the others without looking silly. Skill defeated car.
The fantasy scenario is to count Spa and Abu Dabi as valid/meaningful race wins is a sham. Along with conveniently leaving out the fact that Max crashed into Lewis during a race he was well positioned to finish ahead (Monza).And all this talk of Max being a savage when he literally threw up an egg on the championship determining race.

The FIA is famously stubborn for never conceding that any mistake is made on their part, yet expressly called the end of Abu Dabi the result of human error. And now this outcome also the result of a car that was in breach of the regs.

Do folks think that these details aren't going to end up on Wikipedia?
Appreciate 2
MontyB11388.00
minn1914021.00
      11-01-2022, 03:39 PM   #53
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
I don't remember human errors handing them the WDC.
There was also no confirmed cheating during those years.

Blame those years on lack of competition. RB (and all others) had many years to catch up.

2018 - 2019 was not boring either, when Ferrari had the fastest car but couldn't deliver.

Try again.

Actually it doesn't matter anymore ..

What really matters , is what happened in 2021/2022 .

As I said : This is only the beginning !

Too bad , HAM cannot win a race this year and now has Mercedes many years to catch up ....

That's why I can feel your pain , and that really hurts !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
NYG10624.50
M5Rick59852.50
DrFerry6728.50
      11-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #54
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Maybe we should have a thread about the biggest F1 controversies. Don't even have 2021 finale in top 5, probably not top 10.

Number 1...most likely Spygate 2007. McLaren forking over massive $100 million fine and being excluded from championship.

Lewis joined McLaren in 2007.
Funny how times goes on doesn’t it, that was a big witch hunt by Max Mosely who hated Ron. Also one of the reasons many including me can’t stand Alonso as he didn’t like getting beaten by Lewis and threatened to rat on the to the FIA to try and get preference. Ron didn’t even know this had gone on and when he did he called it out himself as he didn’t want Alonso having it over him.

But Renault I think it was did the same and it effectively got ignored, the contrast was with both punishment was as stark as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #55
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Just a question. If Hamilton had the fastest car (not the driver), can the same be said of Max? Is it the car or the driver?
You need everything to be a champion.

Senna needed everything, Schumacher needed everything, Lewis needed everything and Max needed everything.

The biggest difference between all of them is that the hybrid era Mercedes was literally F1 vs F2 compared to the rest of the grid. However dominant you think the RB18 is right now, it's not even close to how dominant the Merc was. Half of Red Bulls success this season is Ferrari being a dumpster fire.
So much this
NYG10624.50
      11-01-2022, 06:23 PM   #56
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Oh look, a max vs Lewis thread this has become
Appreciate 6
3798j11368.50
minn1914021.00
________4158.50
M5Rick59852.50
NYG10624.50
      11-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #57
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
IMO - I look at anything Ham has done as an asterisk the size of Jupiter especially knowing what happened with Timo G and spygate as well as the cheating MB did with the engine and secret tire tests.
I think it's clear to see Max is a more raw talent and now that he has had some time to hone his ability he is a league above anyone in F1.
Oh yeah, well Max has an asterisk the size of a M class star.

Wait, what the hell are we doing, has it really come to this?

Yes, he is very talented but time will tell about the rest of his fanboys claims.

HAM is also very talented but they are at opposite ends of their careers so it is nearly impossible to compare them directly.

Both are excellent drivers ahead of the vast majority of current and past F1 drivers.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17453.50
      11-01-2022, 07:13 PM   #58
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Oh look, a max vs Lewis thread this has become
I know 1 full page of thread-jacking, not counting the posts on page 1 and 2 as well…
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #59
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Bring back Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs. I can't STAND the Sky broadcasts.
Appreciate 1
NYG10624.50
      11-01-2022, 08:44 PM   #60
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Maybe you’re new to the sport?
F1 has always been dramatic.
Maybe I don’t fully understand what you’re referring to. “Falling far” from what?

F1 is most popular nowadays. From a general audience perspective, F1 got the “help it needed” when the Americans bought it and made it interesting to larger masses. Races have arguably been more fun to watch.
It used to be so technical that only those with an “in” would understand the nuances.

But the drama has always been there. There’s always a driver who’s liked, the underdog, the laughing stock (usually from Japan, way back when it was Yukio Katayama, now it’s Yuki Tsunoda), the superstar, the runner ups, etc. fights in the paddock, grilling battles on track. None of those are new.

It must be the increased social media coverage and such, but it's constant complaining from the teams and drivers. Feels over-dramatized now, every.little.thing. is an issue.

Would argue that the races have gotten worse, the past many many years it's been mostly a parade with the only real action being in the mid pack. DRS / Battery boost hasn't really done much to stop the reoccurring parade as they regularly negate each other.

Why are there no sprinklers yet? How often are wet races the best, from the panic for wets, is it intermediates? Full wets? When to switch back to slicks? The risks teams take making these decisions, so many quick reactions tossing the positions up in the air. That's fun.
But watching P1-6 with little overtakes going around in a circle, 1-4 often being 30+ seconds ahead. Needs more. Fell asleep many races over the past 10+ years due to this.

The new technical breakdowns, coverage, strategy explanations, better camera angles, and such are great. The sport was very unapproachable before, and needed a younger audience. Completely agree.

Maybe I'm just bored of the sport...

Quote:
Honestly I blame Netflix and Drive To Survive. It has brought in so many uneducated fans. Most of them took sides immediately, either Max or Lewis. Now they just argue like school girls. F1 has been mired in controversy for decades, there was always some shenanigans or scandals going on(much worse than 2021 finale). Difference being everything is now blown up by Netflix and social media. In the past it eventually blew over and F1 moved on.

Good point on the social media, didn't really think of that. It all seems forced to grab more eyeballs.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #61
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

It's easy. If the rules were followed in the last few laps Lewis wins.

But FIA never follows rules they make it up as they go, not just in the last 5 laps but the entire season and beyond - eg cost cap penalties and other what nots.

Hence Max is champion by merit.

Re Robbed, people are entitled to their opinion. AFAIK woke & cancel culture hadn't hit F1.

But Maybe it has now.

I'd love to see each F1 team must have a woman driver and each W series team have a man driver. Each starting position grid row must have a man and a woman. If the man passes the woman on the straights, 5 second time penalty. Half the mechanics must be women. It's too boring nowadays.

Last edited by G30M; 11-01-2022 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 09:35 PM   #62
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Not again.....

C'mon people.
Appreciate 2
minn1914021.00
NYG10624.50
      11-02-2022, 03:44 AM   #63
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Not again.....

C'mon people.
It’ll never go away. And it shouldn’t. Massi robbed Hamilton, the British people, and black folk of a deserved and first-ever 8th championship.

Imagine if Hamilton had won last year. And this year some F1 or FIA official free-styled the rules and took Verstappen’s and the Belgium and Dutch folk their first and massively deserved championship? I’m neither Dutch, Belgium or a Verstappen fan, but would feel outraged. And the Belgium and Dutch press and folk and Verstappen fans would be entitled to express their feelings.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 05:20 AM   #64
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
FIA president at the time was French and so was Prost.
I think Balestre a few years later also even admitted that he took that decision because of his nationality.

I think the relationship Webber-Vettel was also amongst the most hateful.

Regarding RB/Verstappen not speaking to Kravitz anymore: The british media and especially Sky sports is always bashing RB/Max.
If that is their game, they can expect that at some point RB won't talk to them anymore. Kravitz was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
I'm pretty sure it's in Kravitz/Sky's own power to undo this matter.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 4
Joachim328.00
M5Rick59852.50
NYG10624.50
      11-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #65
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
One of the most endearing Verstappen interviews was done by Sky reporter Rachel Brookes. It gave me (and no doubt others) a look into Max as a person that made me see just how genuine an individual he actually is. It was something not revealed by any article I had read or interview I had seen by any other reporter before or since. One can tell he's comfortable answering her questions in those pit lane walk talks. So not all Sky employees have a problem.
One good thing to come from the RBR Mexican Sky boycott was not having to see shallow Christian Horner talk his meaningless talk with the Sky crew....one could only hope that would continue.
Appreciate 3
minn1914021.00
MontyB11388.00
NYG10624.50
      11-02-2022, 09:29 AM   #66
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Max, Ham, Sky, Ted, blah blah blah all meaningless. What is important is that on the broadcasts all we need is more

GUENTHER!!!!

Appreciate 5
minn1914021.00
M5Rick59852.50
NYG10624.50
Closed Thread