BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I have a "volunteering" idea, but need direction

So a short back story to this, back in 2015 I was not in a good place mentally. I wasn't a danger to myself, but I was pretty unhappy and just existing. A friend of mine talked me into going to Denver for a concert, and while there we did some day hiking and I fell in love with hiking and the outdoors. Now I plan multiple trips hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, etc every year, sometimes solo, sometimes with multiple people.

I'm also an Iraq veteran, and hearing other veterans talk that struggled and found a way out of the darkness they always say you need to try new things and find something that makes you feel alive again. Something that gives you purpose. So for a few years now I've had this idea to start a "guide service", if you will, where I offer to take veterans out on backpacking trips, free of cost, in hopes they fall in love with it as much as I did and it helps them feel alive again.

The idea is I would start by offering this to people I already know and friends of friends, veterans or not, to get the base process down and see how it goes. I was thinking of having multiple "packages" to choose from, varying in lengths, difficulties, etc. I provide all gear minus clothing and personal items.

The thing I'm not sure of is how to go about this the right way. Do I just throw it out there to friends, try a few trips, and see if it works out well? Is this a non-profit thing where I should start a 501 and go through all that stuff? How does one kick something like this off?

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 6
NYG10579.50
BMWGUYinCO4121.50
3.0L8927.50
minn1914018.00
      11-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I don't have anything to add that will help you but thank you for your service and I'm extremely happy that you were able to dig yourself out of that condition.
Appreciate 2
///d1819.00
vreihen1615143.50
      11-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

First thank you for your service.
I bet your local library would be a good place to start. Sorry that I don't have better firsthand information but I think of you are going the formal registration route, they'd be able to help or point you in the right direction to get things done properly.
Sounds like a fantastic endeavor.
Appreciate 1
///d1819.00
      11-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
might be worth finding a local veterans-focused charity organization that already has some established marketing and relationships. discuss your idea with them to see if it's something they want to add to their portfolio of service offerings.

you might also reach out to some established local guide services and discuss your idea with them. i'm guessing there are TONS of lessons learned in starting one of those types of businesses...and if you're really wanting to do this right, then you likely need to have a business-owner mentality. you may find a current guide service that's willing to take you under their wing and show you the ropes.

sounds like a great idea and certainly a worthwhile cause.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4479.50
      11-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Great thinking and ideas. Around here there are some vet charities that focus on horse riding etc. Might be a good one to get in touch with to see how they handle issues - maybe even volunteer for a year to really get a feel for the issues they encounter, funding, etc. Perhaps there is something similar where you are?

And thanks for your service and sacrifices.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #6
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

Thank you for your service. I would suggest partnering with your VFW or a site such as https://mission22.com to get the word out. They list regional activities. I would form an LLC so your assets are protected in the event something goes wrong and you get sued. I would also consider an insurance plan. You know the best intentions… anyway not sure how you would fund this but I believe you can declare this a hobby before you need to worry about taxes, etc.
      11-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd suggest volunteering with a group that is already doing this first. There are a lot of unanticipated things that can come up that you'll want some experience with before you try to run things yourself; also a lot of the people who start those types of services end up feeling like they become too much of a manager, not enough actual service. Contact your local Vet Center (or the recreational therapy service at the VA hospital) for ideas of who does this already - I'm sure they'll have a use for another capable guide. It's been ages since I worked at the Minneapolis VA, but they used to have a good strong focus on this type of thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 09:59 PM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Get pro photos, upload on social media, recruit friends for the photos, advertise like hell on social media, fail, learn, change things up, rinse and repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 03:30 AM   #9
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Get in touch with Jeff Storms (I hope I'm thinking of the correct guy). He should have some good information for you.

If you want to go through and keep track of your expenses as and use them as tax deductions, then a 501 is what you're after.
If you don't care, then just do it for the love of helping.

I would think someone at the Dept of Veterans Affairs' locally should also have some good insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 07:43 AM   #10
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I have donated to similar motif you desire Appalachian Wounded Warriors, to start a charity in your state just go to your CPA and they'll guide you. As a avid long trail hiker for the AT once you've established the charity PM me the site, I plan to thru hike next summer. Sincere thanks it's a good thing to do.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 02:48 PM   #11
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 M Sport View Post
Thank you for your service. I would suggest partnering with your VFW or a site such as https://mission22.com to get the word out. They list regional activities. I would form an LLC so your assets are protected in the event something goes wrong and you get sued. I would also consider an insurance plan. You know the best intentions… anyway not sure how you would fund this but I believe you can declare this a hobby before you need to worry about taxes, etc.
Exactly what my thoughts were. Somehow, someway, someone will come after you friend or not if they get hurt
Appreciate 1