BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Almost got arrested for reckless driving/racing, etc…

So last night around 8:30 the better ½ sends me to the store to pick up some oil for cooking and to put some gas in her car (slave). Been lazy all week and slept with my contacts on for the past three nights so before I go I removed them and felt such a relief. I knew driving at night with my old prescription glasses wasn’t a good idea as I need to get my eyes checked again but figured it was only a mile away and all would be good. So I go to the gas station, put some gas in the CTS Coupe, run to the store and get in the car to go home. The road I turn into is a two lane road going south with a medium dividing the northbound lanes. I got on the car and entered the right lane and made sure I was within the lines and hit 50 MPH in a 40 zone and quickly eased off the gas. Thinking this wasn’t a big deal a car pulls up to the left lane. My windows are rolled down and the passenger yells at me to slow down. I look over but my peripheral vision with my glasses is terrible. I thought they were just two random guys so I started to laugh but kept my speed a tad under 50. At the last second I realized they were police officers so they quickly got behind me and pulled me over. With blinkers I turned onto a street a few blocks from home, turned off the car and put my hands outside the window as I figured I must have angered them by laughing so wanted to make sure they felt comfortable approaching me at dark. Here is how it goes:

Officer 2 approaches me on the passenger side and I didn’t see Officer 1, the driver. Either he was still in their car or he had his hands on his gun to make sure I didn’t do anything funny.

Officer 2: Do you have any guns?
Me: No.
Officer 2: Are you sure?
Me: Yes.
Officer 2: Turn off the car.
Me: The car is off officer.
Officer 2: Please keep your hands out the window until I walk over to your side.
Me: Ok

I get out of the car and they both ask me to put my hands on the trunk.

Officer 2: Do you have any sharp objects on you that will hurt me?
Me: No
Officer 2: Are you sure because if you do this won’t end well for you.
So he pads me down while Officer 1 is eyeing me.
Officer 1: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Actually officer I have no idea.
Officer 1: You pulled out of the shopping plaza recklessly, accelerated fast like you wanted to race me and did 65 in a 40 zone. And you were smiling/laughing at us.

Now I’m thinking to myself WTF?

Me: Officer, I stayed within my lane as I was aware of an older white Toyota Corolla in the left lane and I saw that he made a U-turn. I didn’t hit 65 as I will admit I hit 50 and then saw you pull up next to me. I didn’t realized you were police officers and thought you two were just random guys. I can understand that you guys think I was being cocky but that wasn’t the intent.
Officer 1 & 2 take turns talking to me: You know we can take you to jail right now for all that you did.

Me: I stayed quite as I knew they would let me go with a warning.

Both officers: Now you haven’t given us attitude, have been very polite and honest with us. We just want to make sure you weren’t racing as even if you are racing against nobody (I was like WTF)? You will go to jail.
Officer 2: Just keep your hands where I can see them (they were the whole time). Are you a doctor? (Not sure why he asked that question?)

Officer 2 looks at my licenses and gives it to officer 1 to run it. Comes up clean as expected.

Officer 2: Trust me, you don’t want to run as it won’t go well for you.
Me: Trust me I won’t as I’m a law abiding citizen and I have nothing to hide.
Officer 1: Is this car under your name?
Me: Yes and my wife’s as well.
Both officers: Ok, we are going to let you off with a warning. Have a great night.
Me: Thanks.

Now many of you think why would I stick my hands out the window? Well it was night and from their angle they cannot see my hands on the wheel until they approached the car so I reacted on instinct that showing my hands off the bat they would feel safe. When I got pulled over I just knew I was going to get a warning but was actually a bit nervous as they were young and maybe trying to make an example out of me.
In my 23 years of driving I’ve never been asked to step out of a vehicle and get searched. Have I ever been pulled over for speeding before? Why yes who hasn’t? I’ve been pulled over numerous times in NY when I was young but got out of 80% of tickets as I knew NYS Troopers and various city/town officers. I understand they were doing their job as they don’t know who I was but for them to keep implying if I ran ‘it wouldn’t go down well for me’, that I didn’t understand. FWIW, I’m latino. I told my wife, son and my stepdaughter and they started ROTF. I find it funny but looking back at it they probably could have easily booked me, depending on their mood.

Would like to hear any similar situations.

Sorry no cliffs

Last edited by F30lolz; 04-07-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 5
      04-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Never happened to me, but i'm white. Sorry.

MTTH232.50
rohitsja232.50
fhaze3184.50
MKSixer34184.50
      04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
been similar situation where the PO instructed me to get out of the car while he was still in patrol car using the loudspeaker. he had me walk backwards to the patrol car lol
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post

*lots of writing*

Sorry no cliffs

Cliffs:
Accelerated quickly down a road while being nearly blind as a bat. Due to this, laughed at some cops beside me not realizing they were cops.

Got pulled over and grilled lightly on both sides. Due to the rampant Latino privilege going on these days, was let off with a warning and a nice hug from the cops.

Appreciate 10
Mr Tonka6058.00
F30lolz6798.50
SakhirM410784.50
Biorin2784.50
MKSixer34184.50
RABAUKE4658.00
RickFLM410971.00
      04-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Man, considering its a traffic stop, the aggressive rhetoric was completely not warranted
and was fairly "captain obvious" type of statements..
oh yea but yer latino.. pffft
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

I had a guy come straight at me through the median then got a gun pulled on me, but I probably deserved it. Young and dumb at the time doing over 110 while still on the on-ramp to the highway; race buckets, headers, 5 point harness etc... Got a ticket but that's all. Dialog went "do you have any points on your license? Cuz you do now!"... he was not happy with me.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Uber

These officers were looking to instigate or create a situation that just was not warranted. If the person pulled over would not been calm or had very little common sense story could have ended differently. Why do police assume everyone has a fucking gun or a weapon? If somebody with a gun is looking to shoot an officer, 9/10 times they will shoot right away and not wait to be asked if they have a weapon. I dont need a gun to feel safe lol and both of my siblings who live in Miami say the same exact thing.

I've been pulled over once for minor speeding, nothing crazy. Two officers came up to my window with a flashlight, ask for my license & registration and obviously I comply. I was on my way home from school and my black book bag happened to be on my passenger seat, one of them asks me if I have a weapon in there. My response was "Man I had a long day at school, I need to take a number 2, and my bag has a 15 pound math book if you wanna search it, I'm sorry officer". Gave me a warning and I was on my way @ snail miles per hour.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      04-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Should've offered them a Pepsi.
Appreciate 9
MTTH232.50
Joekerr7929.00
Aatish3458.00
shawnj44.50
fhaze3184.50
MKSixer34184.50
      04-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

This reminds me at the times, where GDR was still present until Nov89.
The Vopos are thought also they where half gods and act unpolite and rough like hell, especially to West-Germany citizens.
I was pulled over once on the motorway short before the west/east German border, they standing with 4 Vopos around my Audi 80, I had to open trunk, all doors, glove box, engine hood and the gas tank cap. That was less a situation to fear anything because I wasnt remembering had done anything wrong...but I did and you'll never guess what :
It was a warm day, windows were open wide and a little louder German music was echoing outta the car, was from Marius Müller-Westernhagen, not really a protest song but the text was doubtful for the eastern.
To keep the story into the academic quarter: They confiscated the tape and warned me never to play or bring in this kind of music into the GDR again.
This stop was costing me round 1 hour into the afternoon heat.
After crossing the border and was safe onto my western side of life I couldnt withstand my inner urge, turned onto a near parking, open the trunk and turned the music as loud as the speaker could muster, jumped onto the trunk and yelled S U C K E R against the east side of Germany!
The western border guards couldnt stop laughing and luckily that was long before cellphone phototime, othertime I surely would have an uneraseable memory on youtube

Aside from that: The German police never would act like your cops do! Thats very near the knuckle and Im not sure what to do if I was treated here like you described it.

Ah, before I forgot: Banned!

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 04-07-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      04-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Genuine
Appreciate 3
bimmette6453.50
Joekerr7929.00
MKSixer34184.50
      04-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
lol
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
I just flash my boobies.
Appreciate 2
3GFX722.50
MKSixer34184.50
      04-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I just flash my boobies.
Wouldn't have worked for Kendall. Not much to speak of.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Never happened to me, but i'm white. Sorry.

lol i'm asian and haven't got pulled over in the bimmer yet. It seems the cops are more interesting in checking out the car whenever a black and white rolls past and not so much concerned if i'm speeding. i did get pulled over when i was driving a toyota and the cop claimed i ran a stop sign. I got pulled over for frivolous stuff like that but I have a system for beating the ticket in court so I don't pay anything and no traffic school points on my record.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Wouldn't have worked for Kendall. Not much to speak of.
Boobs or not, I'd bang her.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #16
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I just flash my boobies.

Hot chicks dont get tickets, take care of the kids.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #17
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

F30lolz last night.

Appreciate 3
F30lolz6798.50
3GFX722.50
MKSixer34184.50
      04-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

They knew name of car owner before they stopped (that big laptop in the front seat tells all), and that there weren't any warrants out on the owner. But you were acting weird, so probably working on the assumption that you might be either a carjacker or really f'ed up on drugs - both things that would make you suspicious for weapons or stupid runaway behavior. Nowadays, they also probably worry when people are super-careful (the hands thing), fearing that you are another BLM-videographer who is looking to catch them out in something. Unless things have changed, it is more typical to just keep them on the wheel, so they may be thinking 'this guy has been pulled over way too many times' - but I'd defer to any of the LEO's on the board about that.

My wife still kids me about the time during a stop that they asked about weapons and I said 'well.....' and as both cops put hands to guns I finish with 'I do have this Buck knife in the glovebox' - producing sighs of relief and laughing 'that's not a weapon, we meant guns'. When they saw my 6-cell Maglight it elevated up to buddy status and we ended up talking cars while they failed to see anything else in the 'search'. Politeness and consideration will definitely get you a break - sometimes hard to keep in mind that the cops are feeling more anxious than you are as they walk up (unless you have a body in the trunk).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

They sound like dicks, but cops always have to be on the defensive cause they have to treat everybody with suspicion.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #20
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

When I was younger, I used to get pulled over on a regular basis.

Honestly though, I was asking for it. Just picture a young punk with his seal laid back and a low fitted Yankees cap... always speeding, no seatbelt... Just doing the wrong thing, lol.

let's just say, the cops didn't like me and I learned life lesseons from my experiences with them as a kid. Even had my license suspended for 2 years. Worst thing you can do to a young man who loves being behind the wheel.

Needless to say, now that I'm more mature, I try to stay out of trouble and know when to play and when not to play.

I don't get pulled over nearly as often, but once in a while the tint on my windows or my right foot gets the attention of an officer, my ID usually gets me out of a jam.
      04-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #21
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'm glad it went down with just a warning for you.

Reading through your experience I just find the officers' comments odd.

Provoking that it "could go bad for you".

I guess that was their way of exerting dominance and justification over the situation and where it could have gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #22
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:

I get it