BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Visiting Chicago....what to see/do

Hey everyone, I'll be in Chicago at the end of Feb. and wanted to get some opinions on what to see or do? I'm not into the whole touristy thing like the sears tower and stuff. More like, good places to eat (local) and cool places to check out such as bars and even some sites.

So far on my list to see/do:
the museum of science and industy - they have human exhibit that i want to see
Navy Pier - this looks like just something to see and check out once
Ferry ride on Lake Michigan?

I do want to check out some jazz bars and some latin/salsa places. I'm 28 but like to get down and have fun. Not the whole clubbing thing tho. Also, I'll be staying at The Drake hotel. Any opinons of that place? I heard it's close to all the shopping areas, but I'm wondering what the area is like? Similar to SoHo in NY? My friend lives there and will be showing me around, but I want to go there prepared and space out my time.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Went to Chicago for the first time in Oct to visit family.

Skip Navy Pier unless it's a really nice day. King Tut exhibit was cool, but the Field Museum, while gigantic, is kind of weird for us west-coasters. We don't have any of those old time museums with stuffed animals on display. Smelled funny too.

Aquarium was good.

You'll have to forgive me, our vacations center around what our 2yr old would enjoy. So no nightlife.

Make sure to go get Giordano's stuffed pizza while you're there. I know it sounds weird recommending a chain pizza, but man it is good. I balked and wanted to go to family pizza shop downtown, but after I had it I demanded we eat there a couple more times before we left town.

Too bad it's not baseball season, even if you don't like it, Wrigley Field is still cool to go see just for the history.

We really enjoyed just walking along the lake, and moseying through the shopping district. No hills like there are in the bay, or here in Seattle, so it's easy to walk around all day without getting tired.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

thanks for the advice! Yea i like sea life and wanted to check out the aquarium as well. Navy Pier sounds kind of ehh to me. But if it's nearby then we'll stop by.

Yea i was looking at the cubs schedule and they're in spring training at the time. I would LOVE to catch a game there and take in Wrigley Field.

I hear its flat too, so I'm not too worried. Just concerned about how cold it's going to be and the snow. But overall it should be all right, I don't mind it that much.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Got to get a hotdog in "Jewtown"; roast beef sandwich on Ogden and Pulaski; Carnitas & tortillas at a local mexican joint and hit just the night life on Rush street. ....and then take a cab. Don't take your car if it's your first time!!
      01-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Why is this thread in this section? I thought it was gonna b a joke of some sort. haha
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

you can go to Giordano's if you like, but either Uno's or Lou Malnati's deep dish pizzas are better... Try 'em both!

Oh, and the hotdogs are damn tasty too.

... and if the museum is your kind of thing, don't miss the Museum of Science and Industry. They've got (among many other things) a Coal Mine, a WWII German Submarine, and a 727 hanging from the ceiling. Oh, and it's not too far from Shedd Aquarium.

Enjoy the city.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 01:45 AM   #7
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

yea i'm definitely going to the museum and aquarium. But besides that, i'll probably be hittin up some good places to eat, hopefully a bar, and do some shopping. I hear the sunrise over the lake is pretty cool too, so I'm thinking of tryin to stay up late one night to see it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 02:09 AM   #8
Dankim10
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
from my experience, here are the list.

- shopping: Gunne Mall (near by Winscosin border)
- entertainment: I forgot the place called, but it is around near downtown Chicago. There are many bars and clubs at Italian street.
- Nice view: You can go to lake shore near downtown, but I like northern lake shore view better because there are many nice houses there and you can hear the natural sound! The place called Lake buff, northern surburb.
Blackline | Euro Xenon Headlight | Brex white ring | Breyton spoiler | ACS roof spoiler | 19" HRE C20 19x8.5, 19x9.5, with Michellin PS2 tires | Authentic GruppeM intake | Authentic M-technik full kits | 3D Studie front Lip | Hamann Quad Exhaust | Hamann Mtech rear Diffuser | Piaa HID kit for foglight | KW Street comfort suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
BuckJon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Hancock tower has best views of the city, don't go to observation deck just go drink up at the bar it is pretty cool. Michigan Ave. is cool, the architectual river tour is fun too. Chicago has some awesome buildings but it is kinda cold this time of year. The new bean thing is kinda cool too. Like they said above, Navy Pier is kinda whatever but the Shedd Aquarium is cool.
Other than that I just love to walk around that city. The people I feel are the most friendly there than any big city in the states.
      01-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Definately try Giordanos or Unos. Maybe go to the Signature Room. Food is decent but not super special but the view is awesome.

-Navy Pier - Go on the Ferris Wheel ride. Really nice views.
-Millenium Park
-Buckingham Fountain is off at this time right?
-Michigan Ave
-Field Museum
-Museum of Science and Industry
-Shed Aquarium

Go on the Sea Dog...much better and more fun than a ferry. (At least it was in summer, i don't know how it will be with -10* windchill hitting u in the face when u r speeding down the coast.)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
kepford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Badly

If you're downton mix in a little BMW with your trip and visit Perillo BMW at 1035 N Clark. They've got some great used BMWs there. Last time I was down there with a friend who was test driving a used M3 they had three Z8s upstairs and some other very nice used cars. Worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

If you like meat:

Fogo de Chao
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I went to Chicago once for a day. i had a great time. I did two things that you probably wont care for but it was a GREAT day in my book. Vegan breakfast in the morning, which is a nice treat for me since most places in south florida dont serve good vegan breakfast. and then i went to like 4 used cd stores in like a 1 mile radius. found some awesome stuff. and then i saw the Killers that night. great day.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepford View Post
If you're downton mix in a little BMW with your trip and visit Perillo BMW at 1035 N Clark. They've got some great used BMWs there. Last time I was down there with a friend who was test driving a used M3 they had three Z8s upstairs and some other very nice used cars. Worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood.
Also Bentley Gold Coast is VERY nice. Bunch of exotic cars. In summer they keep their cars parked all along the street sometimes so u can see them. Last summer when I was there they had a F430, CGT, 575M, Vanquish, Murcielago, SLR, and Gallardo all on the street and an Enzo inside which was a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
Curious Joel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego/Saddle

I was there about two and a half years ago, and had a great time. The Sears Tower is fun, if you can stand the lines. For a good view and a good meal, I'd recommend the Signature Room on the 95/96th floors of the John Hancock tower. Good food, atmosphere, etc. Aquarium is fun, too.
Sport/Steptronic/Paddles/Premium/CA
PDC/Nav/6FL/etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #16
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

i live in chicago....downtown...HOOOKAH BARS if u smoke...Samah hookah louge...idk what else....navy pier? haha
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #17
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

thanks for all the suggestions!

Yea i forgot to add that I'll be at the Signature room too. Sounds like everyone has been to the same places! I'll be staying at The Drake, and I beilieve that's close to everything except the Science & Industry museum. No big deal tho.

I hear Chicago is always the forgotten city. Most people refer the major citys as LA, NY, SF then Chitown. It seems like the city has ALOT to offer and I'm pretty excited to go.

Good food, people and bars definitely make the trip to me. I may have to check out the dealerships if i see em. Not sure about this time of year tho. Coming from CA I know i'm gonna be freezing my ass off! LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 12:03 AM   #18
Louie A
Dishonorably Discharged
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M-Sport

Lived Downtown Chicago all of my life until 2 years ago. Here are my picks that you will not be disapointed with.

Lounge/Bar:
The W Hotel has one of the coolest / hippest lounges around. There are 2 hotels, one on Lake Shore Drive and another in the Loop. Either one will be fine. BTW... they have the best looking waitresses around.

Latin Restuarant/Bar:
1) National 27 (as the name implies, it represents the cuisine of all of the 27 Latin American countries). Very hip and snazzy crowd. Try their Mojitos. They are to die for. After 11PM, the dining room clears to make room for a dance floor.
2) Fogo de Chao (Brazilain Steakhouse). You'll love this place and their Capriengas (sp?).
3) Frontera Grill, or its sister restuarant Topolobongo. These restuarants are next to one another and are owned by Rick Bayless (sp?). Frontera is more casual, and Topo is on the high end. If you choose Topo, make sure to book a reservation now.

Chicago Foods: Deep Dish Pizza from Lou Malnatti's, Italian Beef with Giardinara Peppers, and of course the famous Vienna beef Chicago Hot Dog

Sunday Brunch:
Signature Lounge on the 95th floor of Hancock

As for sight seeing... The Drake is dead center of some of Chicago's best shopping areas (Michagan Ave). I'd skip Navy Pier as it is pretty cheesey.

Have a good time... and make sure to let us know how your trip went. (Can you tell that I miss Chicago?)

Cheers.

Louie A
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 12:14 AM   #19
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks Louie, I'll definitely take your suggestions into account especially the latin place National 27. Sunday brunch sounds good at Signature too! I'm thinking if i like it enough there, i might want to relocate there. I've lived in CA all my life pretty much. Mostly the Bay Area, but LA and Santa Barbara for school. Feel like I need a change of pace and scenery.

I'll definitely take pics and post when i go!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #20
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119
Thanks Louie, I'll definitely take your suggestions into account especially the latin place National 27. Sunday brunch sounds good at Signature too! I'm thinking if i like it enough there, i might want to relocate there. I've lived in CA all my life pretty much. Mostly the Bay Area, but LA and Santa Barbara for school. Feel like I need a change of pace and scenery.

I'll definitely take pics and post when i go!
yeah, don't be surprised if you like a lot. I think I remember reading somewhere that Chicago has one of the highest citizen retention rates. It really is a great city.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #21
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119 View Post
So far on my list to see/do:
the museum of science and industy - they have human exhibit that i want to see
Navy Pier - this looks like just something to see and check out once
Ferry ride on Lake Michigan?

I do want to check out some jazz bars and some latin/salsa places. I'm 28 but like to get down and have fun. Not the whole clubbing thing tho. Also, I'll be staying at The Drake hotel.
Body Worlds is a great exhibit, definitely worth the visit; the museum's pretty good, too. The Drake is great; I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but you'll probably head a little north for stuff to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post
Skip Navy Pier unless it's a really nice day.
Agreed. I'm still ambivalent about the pier. It's nice to visit as an adjunct to a convention (there are tons of big shows there) but I'm not sure it stands up as a destination in and of itself, especially when it's cold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankim10 View Post
- shopping: Gunne Mall (near by Winscosin border)
I'm guessing you mean Gurnee Mills? bah. Grand Avenue in Gurnee (anchored by the mall) is how I picture Gibson's franchise ghetto. Very little local flavor, so I wouldn't consider it a worthwhile destination unless you're looking for americana at its most generic.

If you want to a jazz club, I'd definitely recommend the Hot House. If you're a beer man, you *must* hit up the Map Room. Goose Island also has a pretty good collection of house beers, and a good restaurant by Wrigley.

Chinatown and Greek Town are both great places to eat, and my girlfriend would kill me if I didn't suggest Pepe's (they're all over) for Mexican. There's also a ton of great Indian places on Devon Avenue (north side).

If you want something theatrical to do on a Friday or Saturday night, I have to recommend Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, but you have to line up for tickets at least a half hour before the door opens even when it's freakishly cold out. It's sold out and turned people away every time I've gone. There's also Blue Man Group at the Briar Street theater just south of Wrigleyville.

If you want to rustle up places to go, the Tribune's MetroMix site is a great place for reviews that can browse by neighborhood. Another great site for restaurant reviews is WTTW's Check, Please! review list.

My latest favorite ethnic restauant in the city is Ethiopian Diamond, but it's definitely better with a group.

As for the signature room: it's definitely worth a visit for the ambience, but not my favorite. Fogo's fun if you haven't been to one before, and still very tasty if you have.

In any event, I'm sure you'll have fun. It's a great town.
Appreciate 0