BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #45
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft View Post
do you mean renderings? yeah i heard they pay well for that. so ffar i only know sketch up which is pretty rough/casual for professional presentation.

what's forensic support?

engineering is pretty much all of the boring stuff that architects are too lazy to calculate and think about. lol. J/K

in a serious note, a building has just too many things in it it would take too much time for architects to do everything, thats why we have engineers to do the other stuff while we focus on design on the most part. consider that we cram centuries of design concepts into our brain in a few years of schooling.
man.... i call BS with all due respect. in the US engineers only write RFI's and memo's and superintendents do all the work. no engineering involved at all
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #46
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
man.... i call BS with all due respect. in the US engineers only write RFI's and memo's and superintendents do all the work. no engineering involved at all
lol. just like almost an entire project is done by a project manager and the drafting guys under and the architect only signs the plans.
      09-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #47
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Cool to know
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #48
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
lol. just like almost an entire project is done by a project manager and the drafting guys under and the architect only signs the plans.
+1 It's called being the big dog after paying the dues
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #49
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Ya i meant renderings. Make it look veryy photorealistic. I'm trying to get into that field but don't where to start. I don't know where to find clients
I own my graphic studio as a side job aside from my full time job as an architect.
I must say renderings get me much better money as I usually start at $1k for interior and $2k for the building. Highest I have billed was $6k for the high rise mixed use tower renderings. I only worked on it for 5 days too.

However you will need to work in the field for a while first to get your own client. It's is very competitive field to start with, plus you will need an EXCELLENT computer (one I use it $9K+)to be even render such complicated stuff which get you the real money. And these days, there are real cheap rendering companies in china so big architectural companies usually outsource from them.

But you must know that renderers work crazy hours and you can't cut corners with that. If you can't work within some fucked up schedule, they won't need you.

Start download some programs and get familiar with it, i would start with 3d Max with Vray and rhino.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #50
ae8t6ix
Friends don't let friends apex early
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325I

Garage List
1985 Corolla GT-s  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Link to the firm I work for.

http://www.gruenassociates.com/

Team structures vary from firm to firm. In the end the license is all that really matters.

Gearcraft, you mentioned you finished your first year at Pomona, were you a transfer? If so then what year of the program did you transfer into i.e. 2nd year or 3rd year?

Obviously architecture pays well enough seeing as we all drive a fairly pricey car, but at times it's the struggling artist life.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #51
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae8t6ix View Post
Link to the firm I work for.

http://www.gruenassociates.com/

Team structures vary from firm to firm. In the end the license is all that really matters.

Gearcraft, you mentioned you finished your first year at Pomona, were you a transfer? If so then what year of the program did you transfer into i.e. 2nd year or 3rd year?

Obviously architecture pays well enough seeing as we all drive a fairly pricey car, but at times it's the struggling artist life.
finished a 2 yr program at a community college. transferred and counted the units but had to do the program from first year in pomona. i think i would have made it into 2nd year if there was an open spot. they returned a lot of portfolios but kept mine for a year. im 2nd year now. 4 more years to go.
i also agree it pays well but not well enough compared to other professions with the same amount of training. i worked for a year at a residential firm and the tract houses that i worked on never even got built coz of economy.
      09-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #52
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
I am
      09-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #53
ae8t6ix
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Gearcraft,

Whose the dean at Pomona now? Third year will be the worst as the combine design and structures to real life applications. Second year focus' mainly on design so you can push the envelope of your ideas. Studios will suck at times but looking back it was pretty badass having all your classmates around and talking about random ideas to incorporate into your design.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #54
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Gearcraft,

Whose the dean at Pomona now? Third year will be the worst as the combine design and structures to real life applications. Second year focus' mainly on design so you can push the envelope of your ideas. Studios will suck at times but looking back it was pretty badass having all your classmates around and talking about random ideas to incorporate into your design.
rocky sanchez is currently the dean right now. thanks for the heads up. let me know if there's something more that i should be aware of. first year was tough compared to community college but i managed to squeeze a few "A"s in my studio. hoping for an even better quarter in two weeks. (sept 25)
      09-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #55
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
what's forensic support?.
That's my speciality. Kinda two part: First, when a "building goes wrong", they call me in. I investigate, then render an opinion on why it failed. Often it's related to a lawsuit and I'm the expert. The second part is more about repair and identifying root problems of buildings. See a crack and tracking down why that crack happened type of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #56
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyaa View Post
That's my speciality. Kinda two part: First, when a "building goes wrong", they call me in. I investigate, then render an opinion on why it failed. Often it's related to a lawsuit and I'm the expert. The second part is more about repair and identifying root problems of buildings. See a crack and tracking down why that crack happened type of stuff.
AIA-CSI FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #57
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
damn... school work is starting to catch up now... so many things due, so little time! E90post is doing me no good! ...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #58
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I started my architecture firm 3 years ago, I have a staff of 7, 4 seals. My staff and I have a had a good first three years and have a few high profile, design forward projects to show for it, we're quite fortunate.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #59
ae8t6ix
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The market is horrible now, the residential sector took a huge hit from the recession. Hopefully things turn around in a year or two. As long as this doesn't turn into the crash of the 80's then we should all be fine. I know the transit designers have their hands full with tons of work, the skyrocketing oil prices have definitely pushed public transit projects.

Consolidated, have you been to Tadao Ando's museum? Heard the project is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #60
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
The market is horrible now, the residential sector took a huge hit from the recession. Hopefully things turn around in a year or two. As long as this doesn't turn into the crash of the 80's then we should all be fine. I know the transit designers have their hands full with tons of work, the skyrocketing oil prices have definitely pushed public transit projects.

Consolidated, have you been to Tadao Ando's museum? Heard the project is beautiful.
Very nice work.

Fort Worth has the best buildings in Texas, if not the region. The Kimball is still the crown jewel to me but the Modern and Piano's Nasher are certainly well executed. Looking forward to OMA's theatre in Dallas, I once did hard labor Koolhaas' Rotterdam office.

My multifamily/mixed-use development work went from 50% of billing to 5% of billing in one year, diversity of project types and sizes have been key for maintaining billing stability this year.
Even though building is down construction prices haven't shown any decline in my market, not to mention financing difficulties.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #61
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

lol... I glanced at this and thought it said Anarchists instead of Architects..
Read the first 4 posts and thought we had a thread involving some arson/bombing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Another one here - See my firm's work :

www.A3LA.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAE90 View Post
If any of you Architects ever need a good Structural Engineer, that would be me.
(Again glanced and thought it said Anarchists.)

-Nathan
      09-11-2008, 02:49 AM   #62
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
did you have to take engineering for that? when i was in high school i wanted to be a CSI but didnt want to be called in rush to a crime scene. lol. your job sounds really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
damn... school work is starting to catch up now... so many things due, so little time! E90post is doing me no good! ...
lol. get out of here and go back to work. J/K i dont blame you for coming here. i will be doing the same thing soon.
      09-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #63
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
did you have to take engineering for that? when i was in high school i wanted to be a CSI but didnt want to be called in rush to a crime scene. lol. your job sounds really interesting..
Nope, just sort of fell into it. I'm second generation. My Dad has a dual license, so he really started the niche. Folks would rather pay one person to do two roles I guess... Some colleges still offer the Architectural Engineering accredidated degrees if you want to go that route.

So for me, it started off just following my Dad around jobsites doing insurance type work as a kid... really interesting to see what fire, floods, tornadoes, micro-burst, structural overloading and the good old gas explosion can do to a structure; insurance companies now use only structural engineers . I just sort picked up after him once licensed. Those could be really cool... I've seen watermelon sized hailstones blow holes through roofs and sandblast the side of a house. I've seen steel get melted into spagetti. I've seen a microburst peel a 70,000 sf warehouse roof off. I've seen the building next to the one that blew up have it's common wall shoved in three feet, but still stands. I've seen how firecuts on joist really work, and what happens if you don't do them. Tons of cars versus houses. Basically, some really cool stuff doing insurance; they used to call us out when their own appraisers were baffled.

After a decade of that, the lawyers started calling. It's a lot of brain damage... 20-60 page reports, long days of standing around on a jobsite to look at the same error repeated over and over and over... Getting grilled by your peers on the opposing team. Getting grilled by 6 or 7 lawyers during depositions hoping you don't know your stuff. Having your personal life /expenses / history brought up (some lawyers are petty). Plus you essentially are always dealing with someone's misery and dealing with the worst our industry has to offer on a regular basis so it's rather depressing. But it does pay exceptionally well so the overhead is low. Plus even in this economy, I can still pick and chose my cases working as much or as little as I want... I still can't commit to doing it full time though since I'd rather be designing buildings; so it's a niche.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #64
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, just sort of fell into it. I'm second generation. My Dad has a dual license, so he really started the niche. Folks would rather pay one person to do two roles I guess... Some colleges still offer the Architectural Engineering accredidated degrees if you want to go that route.

So for me, it started off just following my Dad around jobsites doing insurance type work as a kid... really interesting to see what fire, floods, tornadoes, micro-burst, structural overloading and the good old gas explosion can do to a structure; insurance companies now use only structural engineers . I just sort picked up after him once licensed. Those could be really cool... I've seen watermelon sized hailstones blow holes through roofs and sandblast the side of a house. I've seen steel get melted into spagetti. I've seen a microburst peel a 70,000 sf warehouse roof off. I've seen the building next to the one that blew up have it's common wall shoved in three feet, but still stands. I've seen how firecuts on joist really work, and what happens if you don't do them. Tons of cars versus houses. Basically, some really cool stuff doing insurance; they used to call us out when their own appraisers were baffled.

After a decade of that, the lawyers started calling. It's a lot of brain damage... 20-60 page reports, long days of standing around on a jobsite to look at the same error repeated over and over and over... Getting grilled by your peers on the opposing team. Getting grilled by 6 or 7 lawyers during depositions hoping you don't know your stuff. Having your personal life /expenses / history brought up (some lawyers are petty). Plus you essentially are always dealing with someone's misery and dealing with the worst our industry has to offer on a regular basis so it's rather depressing. But it does pay exceptionally well so the overhead is low. Plus even in this economy, I can still pick and chose my cases working as much or as little as I want... I still can't commit to doing it full time though since I'd rather be designing buildings; so it's a niche.
i hate lawyers sometimes....
they try to bring ur personal life into professional field to discredit you...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #65
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:

how about animating the incident? what program do you use for it?
      09-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #66
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
i hate lawyers sometimes....
they try to bring ur personal life into professional field to discredit you...
speaking of lawyers. i heard a lot of big architectural firms staff full time lawyers now.