BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #1
lzzzzzy
Rep
Drives: BMW G11 760 i

Interested in Purchasing a G82 M4 Out of State

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the market for a used M4 Competition xDrive (post-2021 generation) and have found several attractive deals out of state. One particular vehicle, a 2022 model with over 20,000 miles, was previously used as a rental. While I recognize the M4's capabilities, I am aware that rental cars can sometimes be mistreated.

The original warranty is still active (about half remaining), and my plan is to sell the car after the warranty expires. However, I'm concerned about potential issues that may not be covered by the warranty or the possibility of a dealership denying coverage.

Since I am thousands of miles away, I haven't been able to inspect the car physically. Would it be reasonable to request photos of the brakes, ball joints, transfer case, etc.? I'm hesitant to ask, as I don't want to waste the owner's time if I decide not to purchase.

I'm also contemplating the risks of owning a potentially abused car under warranty, especially since I take great care of my vehicles. I have no prior experience dealing with such issues.

What are your thoughts on buying a used G82 for daily? Alternatively, should I consider a G14 M850i, which might offer a better condition vehicle within the same budget?

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Auto trader has 126 2022-2023 M4 x drives. Pick another one to be safe. Here is the link: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...cars&zip=98101
      Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
It’s not the least bit unreasonable to ask for photos to help you make your decision. But, you should absolutely NOT buy the car unless you can travel to pick it up!!!!!
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Personally I would avoid buying a car that was used as a rental. People have the tendency to abuse them, especially when they get the opportunity to get behind the wheel of an M4!!!
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #5
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Auto trader has 126 2022-2023 M4 x drives. Pick another one to be safe. Here is the link: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...cars&zip=98101
Thank you! I've been looking on Autotrader as well. I found many good deals from California and New York, but when I contacted the dealerships, they said I must pay their state tax to get the temporary tag for driving the car back home. This feels like being taxed twice. The prices seem to have increased a bit in recent weeks, but I'll keep watching!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #6
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Personally I would avoid buying a car that was used as a rental. People have the tendency to abuse them, especially when they get the opportunity to get behind the wheel of an M4!!!
Exactly! That's what I'm worried about.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #7
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It’s not the least bit unreasonable to ask for photos to help you make your decision. But, you should absolutely NOT buy the car unless you can travel to pick it up!!!!!
I'll definitely travel to pick up the car in person! However I live in Minnesota, and I'll need to travel to Florida or the Carolinas to pick up the car, which could cost me thousands in hotel stays and flights. I'm thinking of gathering as much information as I can before booking these. In case I notice something hidden in person, I can decide not to buy at the last second, but I'm still trying to minimize the chance of that happening before traveling there.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzzzzzy View Post
Exactly! That's what I'm worried about.
This is definitely a concern. Especially with an ///M car. But, in reality most renters do not abuse their rental car. It’s definitely more likely to happen with a performance car, but it’s not a given.

Quote:
Thank you! I've been looking on Autotrader as well. I found many good deals from California and New York, but when I contacted the dealerships, they said I must pay their state tax to get the temporary tag for driving the car back home. This feels like being taxed twice. The prices seem to have increased a bit in recent weeks, but I'll keep watching!
Cali and New York definitely have higher sales tax than just about anywhere else, but you won’t be taxed twice. MN will give you credit for the sales tax you pay in the state where you buy the car, so more than likely you won’t owe any additional sales tax.

Quote:
I'll definitely travel to pick up the car in person! However I live in Minnesota, and I'll need to travel to Florida or the Carolinas to pick up the car, which could cost me thousands in hotel stays and flights. I'm thinking of gathering as much information as I can before booking these. In case I notice something hidden in person, I can decide not to buy at the last second, but I'm still trying to minimize the chance of that happening before traveling there.
It won’t really cost “thousands”. I’ve traveled for all but one of my 3ers. Last summer I flew to Raleigh, NC and drove back to Chicago. It was less than $1,000 and I stayed on the road an extra couple of nights on the way home and made a little sightseeing trip out of it. I’ve flown from Chicago to Houston and driven home and when I lived in Texas I flew to Tucson, AZ and to Memphis, TN. I’ve always had sufficient knowledge of the car that I’ve never had to cancel a deal at the last minute, but I still will only ever buy by long distance if I can travel to get the car. I will grant you that traveling to California is a long trip and I did decide not to pursue one car because of that and the California sales tax.

Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #9
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

I've sold a few cars on Autotrader. Some buyers can definitely be a pain however I've always tried to be forward and provide as many pictures or videos they needed to feel assured.
I would see if some on the forums could check the car out for you as well and get a ppi. I've walked away from a few cars after the ppi.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I'd rather have an M850i, just don't buy new as those things plummet like a meteor in value.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkord29 View Post
I've sold a few cars on Autotrader. Some buyers can definitely be a pain however I've always tried to be forward and provide as many pictures or videos they needed to feel assured.
I would see if some on the forums could check the car out for you as well and get a ppi. I've walked away from a few cars after the ppi.
That’s a good idea!! Forum members have checked out cars for other members in the past.

Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #12
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
This is definitely a concern. Especially with an ///M car. But, in reality most renters do not abuse their rental car. It’s definitely more likely to happen with a performance car, but it’s not a given.

Cali and New York definitely have higher sales tax than just about anywhere else, but you won’t be taxed twice. MN will give you credit for the sales tax you pay in the state where you buy the car, so more than likely you won’t owe any additional sales tax.

It won’t really cost “thousands”. I’ve traveled for all but one of my 3ers. Last summer I flew to Raleigh, NC and drove back to Chicago. It was less than $1,000 and I stayed on the road an extra couple of nights on the way home and made a little sightseeing trip out of it. I’ve flown from Chicago to Houston and driven home and when I lived in Texas I flew to Tucson, AZ and to Memphis, TN. I’ve always had sufficient knowledge of the car that I’ve never had to cancel a deal at the last minute, but I still will only ever buy by long distance if I can travel to get the car. I will grant you that traveling to California is a long trip and I did decide not to pursue one car because of that and the California sales tax.
I was thinking of traveling along the road because driving from Florida back to Minnesota will be a lengthy and scenic trip haha I've never done I-75 before and try to stop at as many places as I can. California taxes are really high tho. I've found some cars I'm interested in but I'm still not planning to travel there.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #13
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkord29 View Post
I've never thought about it!! Which subforum would you recommend for posting? What's the cost like if I'm finding someone on the forum to help check out the car? Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #14
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I'd rather have an M850i, just don't buy new as those things plummet like a meteor in value.
I'm looking at 2021/2022 M850i s, and many already have huge price cuts but still come with the warranty. I had an N63TU2 and spent thousands on the engine, but the problems were still there. I went to many dealerships and shops, but no one could really pinpoint the issues. They said they would have to pull out the entire engine. I gave up. I've heard the TU3 is pretty reliable, so I was considering it! What's your opinion on the TU3 by the way?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #15
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
That’s a good idea!! Forum members have checked out cars for other members in the past.
Yes! I've never thought about!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #16
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
I'm looking at 2021/2022 M850i s, and many already have huge price cuts but still come with the warranty. I had an N63TU2 and spent thousands on the engine, but the problems were still there. I went to many dealerships and shops, but no one could really pinpoint the issues. They said they would have to pull out the entire engine. I gave up. I've heard the TU3 is pretty reliable, so I was considering it! What's your opinion on the TU3 by the way?
I would be able to give you nothing but an uneducated opinion. I would highly suggest checking around in the appropriate 8 series forums. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #17
lzzzzzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I would be able to give you nothing but an uneducated opinion. I would highly suggest checking around in the appropriate 8 series forums. Good luck.
hahaha thank you!!
Appreciate 1
NickyC17530.50
      Today, 01:48 AM   #18
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

Quote:
I've never thought about it!! Which subforum would you recommend for posting? What's the cost like if I'm finding someone on the forum to help check out the car? Thank you!!
The regional section is a good place but not sure how much people check it. Since you've got this post going maybe drop the location and see if anyone is close by. I've never asked anyone to do it but from what I've seen it's something they will do for free and the person requesting probably send them some payment to maybe cover gas/time (maybe $50).

You could also just ask for locals to suggest a good independent shop for a ppi. Generally the buyer covers the ppi and they can range from ~$100-300. I call the shops and see what's covered in their ppi and from what I've experienced most are working pretty hard for the buyer to identify all the issues.

I'm in FL if there is something you are looking at near Tampa I can help or make suggestions for shops.

Unless you really trust the seller at some point you'll make the trip to drive it back or complete the sale and fly back then ship. The only times I've ship was when I couldn't make it and the cars were purchased as cpo was a dealer otherwise I'm driving it home.
Appreciate 0