BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

I know it will not help with this situation, but everyone should turn on "Two Factor Authentication" for all applicable websites.
Appreciate 1
AIRPOWER1682.50
      12-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #24
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I've been called twice by the Indian "Microsoft Tech Support" scammers telling me I have viruses and that I need to let them take over my computer. I tend to go for the naive customer act and agree to everything then drop them at the last minute.

The first time I made it about ten minutes before telling the guy he was a piece of shit scammer. Was told, "Fuck you. *click*"

Most recently I made it about 15 minutes and was much more subtle about it. I was only dropping small hints like "oh yeah, I googled that and it said that was a scam." The guy ate it all up until another guy in the background yelled at him and said, "He's fucking with you!" and hung up the phone on him.
I love these, but I think I screwed myself lately and they took me off the list. I had a few successful runs where I was able to keep them on the line for 15-20 minutes, but then one day I got a fella on the phone from Eastern Europe and he actual got "real" with me, said he felt bad for folks like me that wasted their time. I was flabbergasted. Start swearing at me, but for a while. I was a dick for wasting THEIR time. Could not believe it.

Anyways, the "Microsoft Tech Support" calls ended after I strung a guy along for quite some time, only for him to find out I had a Mac. I never got a call after that
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      12-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #25
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I used to get calls from the fake Microsoft support center in India. I'd call back till an Indian chick would answer then i'd try to have phone sex with them eventually the calls stopped.

One told me i was a sick bastad, i told her keep talking i was almost done, i'd also ask them to send me nudes and i'll get the $162/year support. Lol
Appreciate 4
RatedEM64.00
F30lolz6798.50
jgoens3787.50
larryn2145.50
      12-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #26
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

My dad used to be in charge of collections for IBM in US. He knows all the laws and can recite the statutes verbatim. So he's really entertaining when scammers call. Doesn't waste any time, just burns their house down.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #27
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedped88 View Post
Man I'm glad you got your money back. My grand parents fell victim to the "IRS is planning to sue you unless you pay 7000 dollars in iTunes vouchers" scam a while back. They have only lived here in the US for a short time and so anything "government" related scares them. Couldn't make the connection that some random dude from Pakistan who can barely pronounce "revenue" let alone work for the IRS is more than likely a scam. And yes the IRS now deals in federal iTunes vouchers
This makes my blood boil. How much did you grandparents end up losing?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #28
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
I used to get calls from the fake Microsoft support center in India. I'd call back till an Indian chick would answer then i'd try to have phone sex with them eventually the calls stopped.

One told me i was a sick bastad, i told her keep talking i was almost done, i'd also ask them to send me nudes and i'll get the $162/year support. Lol
I spit out my coffee this morning laughing at this post ... Too funny ...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #29
Pedped88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
Man I'm glad you got your money back. My grand parents fell victim to the "IRS is planning to sue you unless you pay 7000 dollars in iTunes vouchers" scam a while back. They have only lived here in the US for a short time and so anything "government" related scares them. Couldn't make the connection that some random dude from Pakistan who can barely pronounce "revenue" let alone work for the IRS is more than likely a scam. And yes the IRS now deals in federal iTunes vouchers
Man I was livid when I found out. They lost close to 2k. What's messed up is that the cashier at Walmart or wherever they bought the cards from didn't even bat an eye. Like you show up with 2K in cash trying to put it on iTunes cards. Common man...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #30
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Man I was livid when I found out. They lost close to 2k. What's messed up is that the cashier at Walmart or wherever they bought the cards from didn't even bat an eye. Like you show up with 2K in cash trying to put it on iTunes cards. Common man...
and they want $15 an hour! SMH.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #31
Sabcat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Quote:
Have you seen the YouTube videos where they bust/call out those guys out? Epic!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #32
Pedped88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Quote:
Have you seen the YouTube videos where they bust/call out those guys out? Epic!!
Haha yeah there's one channel called the hoax hotel or something it has some the best ones out there
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #33
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Check out ownage pranks, they do a bunch of those! LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #34
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

The stories on this site are the most hilarious I have ever read. This is mainly due to the fact the ppl scamming end up getting scammed themselves. They get so emboldened by their prior 'wins' that they follow the rabbit...

It is a forum used to coordinate attacks on the scammers themselves. And then the stories (and pictures lol), blow by blow, are shared. Read through some you will not be sorry!

http://www.419eater.com/

Here are some stories: http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

Try the one titled 'The Tale of The Painted Breast.'
JsL447.50
      12-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #35
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I put up my laptop on Craigslist a while ago, and got a text message from a "Colonel something Johnson from the US Marine Corps", saying my (broken) laptop (for parts) was perfect for his son but he is stationed in Florida or something. Little does this broken English D-BAG know, searching for legitimate Marines is quite easy with our website. Couldn't find anyone with his full name as a Colonel so I called him out on it, no response back though
      12-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #36
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
I love these, but I think I screwed myself lately and they took me off the list. I had a few successful runs where I was able to keep them on the line for 15-20 minutes, but then one day I got a fella on the phone from Eastern Europe and he actual got "real" with me, said he felt bad for folks like me that wasted their time. I was flabbergasted. Start swearing at me, but for a while. I was a dick for wasting THEIR time. Could not believe it.

Anyways, the "Microsoft Tech Support" calls ended after I strung a guy along for quite some time, only for him to find out I had a Mac. I never got a call after that
Yeah right? It's like it is annoying when they call, but once you get into it and it gets fun, it sucks when they "blacklist" your number and the game is over.
      12-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #37
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
The stories on this site are the most hilarious I have ever read. This is mainly due to the fact the ppl scamming end up getting scammed themselves. They get so emboldened by their prior 'wins' that they follow the rabbit...

It is a forum used to coordinate attacks on the scammers themselves. And then the stories (and pictures lol), blow by blow, are shared. Read through some you will not be sorry!

http://www.419eater.com/

Here are some stories: http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

Try the one titled 'The Tale of The Painted Breast.'
I can spend hours looking at those. Reminds me of the internet classic " P-p-p-powerbook" lol
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1698.50
      12-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #38
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ill share the scammers phone number after i settle the case, y'all can rip him a new one.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #39
Kevin__
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedEM View Post
So recently I bought an apple watch off of craigslist, the guy said he was out of town and could only ship it which waves a huge flag saying scam already. But of course i couldn't pass up a deal for $100 apple watch. He tried so hard to convince me to send it through friends and family so he could use the money ASAP. Of course i sent it via goods and services, that way I knew I was insured. Lol this man spent so much time an effort just to make this look legit, but i ended up getting all my money back from paypal.. Anyone else have something similar happen to them?

Lol I thought I was the only one. I was selling my last iPhone for $200 someone texted me the SAME day saying he was out of town as well and wanted to send to his brother in "Nigeria". I couldn't pass up either and he just kept begging and begging so I agreed. But where he messed up at was I have too emails one for PayPal and another for other stuff. So I gave him the one that wasn't associated with PayPal and when he sent it seems so legit but then I realized that email isn't associated with PayPal lol. Also the next day someone texted me offering me the same price and was out of town. Lol SCAMMERS for real watch out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #40
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin__ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedEM View Post
So recently I bought an apple watch off of craigslist, the guy said he was out of town and could only ship it which waves a huge flag saying scam already. But of course i couldn't pass up a deal for $100 apple watch. He tried so hard to convince me to send it through friends and family so he could use the money ASAP. Of course i sent it via goods and services, that way I knew I was insured. Lol this man spent so much time an effort just to make this look legit, but i ended up getting all my money back from paypal.. Anyone else have something similar happen to them?

Lol I thought I was the only one. I was selling my last iPhone for $200 someone texted me the SAME day saying he was out of town as well and wanted to send to his brother in "Nigeria". I couldn't pass up either and he just kept begging and begging so I agreed. But where he messed up at was I have too emails one for PayPal and another for other stuff. So I gave him the one that wasn't associated with PayPal and when he sent it seems so legit but then I realized that email isn't associated with PayPal lol. Also the next day someone texted me offering me the same price and was out of town. Lol SCAMMERS for real watch out.
It's absolutely ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as greyhound losing my PE mod, finding it, and then losing it again. LOL... My luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #41
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Stopped reading at "craigslist".
      12-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #42
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
Stopped reading at "craigslist".
You should see some of the casual encounter ads I make in my free time.
Appreciate 1
gtron708.00
      12-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #43
cognoscenti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 6MT ZCP MR

Somebody want to have fun? I'm looking for an E90 M3 right now, and some fool has been sending me detailed descriptions of "his" car for sale (wants a wire transfer), but says he is in Texas and the exterior pictures are of a car that is RHD (BONUS - the interior shots are of two different LHD cars!). Also, the VIN he gave me is for a car currently for sale at EAG. Geez, scammers - don't you think we know how to use the internet?
Appreciate 1
RatedEM64.00
      12-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #44
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognoscenti View Post
Somebody want to have fun? I'm looking for an E90 M3 right now, and some fool has been sending me detailed descriptions of "his" car for sale (wants a wire transfer), but says he is in Texas and the exterior pictures are of a car that is RHD (BONUS - the interior shots are of two different LHD cars!). Also, the VIN he gave me is for a car currently for sale at EAG. Geez, scammers - don't you think we know how to use the internet?
Rip him a new one!!!!!
Appreciate 0