BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

fuel prices in NY are killer lately, and jersey you can usually save 50 cents or so in some parts..Its only like a 15minute drive late at night.
I did it a few times when I was a kid. But when you have a car that gets 8 miles to the gallon (which I did)...you quickly realize that it is not worth it.
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

17 with a 335i coupe at 1:30am, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen...just be glad there wasn't somebody in the opposite lane...pay the ticket and don't drive past the curfew. the way i avoided tickets at that age was by having a diesel rabbit that if pushed, maybe did 75mph without wind and on a perfectly flat road : ) seriously, though, if your parents can afford to give that kind of car increased insurance shouldnt be a big deal...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #25
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad ///PWNS U, Maliboo! View Post
You needz 2 get a lawya and play yo age up so you aint studderin like a small fry when the man cums around. haha. Jus trippin, you gots 2 pay 2 be a playa. Get yo moms leagal on that bitch an dis will be a thing of the past, playa. Or be a ho an get slapped out you map.. haha, aint no playaz ridin the bus, you best come correct.

what did you just say?

to OP....go to court, you might get a break
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #26
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
what did you just say?

to OP....go to court, you might get a break
Read post 11. Andre was kind enough to translate it to english for the rest of us..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #27
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
as you guys know i am only 17 in the state of ny. i always go down to jersey for gas but the gas station is on the border line of ny and jersey. anyhow today i got gas in jersey was driving home and a guy braked really fast and i reacted by going through a double yellow line to avoid him. a cop from behind pulls me over while im still in nj state. (PS: with a junior license i can only drive up to 9pm and it was about 1.30am and in ny state only) to make a long story short, not only did this officer let me go with a warning or a lecture, not one but two tickets. i mean for a first offense of a new record kid...jebus. anyhow i got one for reckless driving and other for touring something can't read his hand writing. basically no more then $200. but was it really my fault?

my question is this. once i pay the ticket off, do the cops in both NJ and NY still have a record that i got pulled over in the past or does it completely disappear? will insurance go up and any points on license?
You are 17 and driving a nicer car than most people will ever see their lives... you are just asking for tickets
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #28
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
17 with a 335i coupe at 1:30am, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen...just be glad there wasn't somebody in the opposite lane...pay the ticket and don't drive past the curfew. the way i avoided tickets at that age was by having a diesel rabbit that if pushed, maybe did 75mph without wind and on a perfectly flat road : ) seriously, though, if your parents can afford to give that kind of car increased insurance shouldnt be a big deal...
Couldn't have said it better myself...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #29
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I talian Stallion NJ View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself...
ya gotta wonder what the incentive is when you've already got a 335 coupe with a learner's permit..McClaren at age 21? now i'm going to look at pictures of the car that I wish i could be driving right now...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #30
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Read post 11. Andre was kind enough to translate it to english for the rest of us..

to post 11
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #31
KJFlood
Sheepdog
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 m3

Hmm...trying to recall my dmv manual...1 car length for every 10 mph or something?
I drive a big rig in my "other life" so I tend to drive the car like I drive the rig...LOTS O' ROOM in front of me and the guy ahead.
Saved my A.D.D. having as ALOT of times...extra room makes the difference.

Good luck with court....sounds like you have a few strikes already on you going into the fight....not a GOOD place to be.
Be honest,be respectful and be even tempered....if nothing else , ask for no points and a reduced fine...judges can be cool if you pass the "attitude "test
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #32
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iNut View Post
Reckless driving for swerving around someone who stopped suddenly? Seems like you must have been hauling ass when you got brake checked otherwise the cop would have just popped you for following too closely.
As much as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, the OP was obviously going too fast if our excellent BMW brakes could not stop him in time. Sorry, but I think you probably deserved the ticket.

As for the time thing, again, that's your fault. I'm on my junior license as well and I've been out past 11, but never more than an hour. Don't worry about this one though since iirc it isn't a moving violation (at least in PA).

As far as the NY vs. NJ thing, damn those laws are crazy, especially in NY where half of everything is in NJ. PA you can't go out of state on your permit but you can on your junior license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #33
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Seems like there are two kinds of threads on this topic. The first kind are ones in which the OP got treated unfairly by a cop who could have shown discretion and saved his insurance premiums, etc.

And then there are threads like this one in which the OP is essentially saying "I was being reckless and got caught by a cop who was simply doing the job he's supposed to do; please give me advice on how to work the system (money's no object)". Maybe I'm being a dick, but I don't really feel like that's the kind of advice this forum is for.
      04-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #34
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
i reacted by going through a double yellow line to avoid him. a cop from behind pulls me over while im still in nj state. (PS: with a junior license i can only drive up to 9pm and it was about 1.30am and in ny state only) to make a long story short, not only did this officer let me go with a warning or a lecture, not one but two tickets. i mean for a first offense of a new record kid...jebus. anyhow i got one for reckless driving and other for touring something can't read his hand writing. basically no more then $200. but was it really my fault?
      04-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #35
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Anyone else find it interesting but not unusual for this type of thread, that the OP has not contributed anything other than his first post?

I bet his parents grounded him so much that he has to look up to look down.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #36
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The one good thing about having a NYS drivers license is that points from other states are NOT transferred over (yeah, I miss having a NYS license). However, in your case, a wreckless driving offense on a learners/beginners license may be a bit different.

As far as NJ gas goes, its amazing that you can drive over to NJ and take advantage of the required FULL SERVICE for about 35-40 cents less per gallon than in SELF SERVE in NYC.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #37
Rawhyde
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 MINI Cooper S JCW

I wasn't there, so I won't comment much on the reckless driving violation. Just that reckless driving violations around here aren't for taking evasive action to avoid an impending crash. They are more for really bad and agressively dangerous driving.

The part I'm astounded about is the curfew violation....sheesh. When I was 17, I was fishing below the power dams on the Tennessee River nearly every weekend. We'd show up between 11PM and midnight and fish until 3 or 4AM. The only thing the TVA Police ever did was ask us how they were biting. I didn't drink or use drugs and I still don't. I just went fishing with my buddies. I guess I'd be on the FBI's Most Wanted List if I was a teenager today.

To the OP...get a lawyer if you really were just avoiding a crash.

Rawhyde
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #38
BmwOwnsMe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
As much as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, the OP was obviously going too fast if our excellent BMW brakes could not stop him in time. Sorry, but I think you probably deserved the ticket.

As for the time thing, again, that's your fault. I'm on my junior license as well and I've been out past 11, but never more than an hour. Don't worry about this one though since iirc it isn't a moving violation (at least in PA).

As far as the NY vs. NJ thing, damn those laws are crazy, especially in NY where half of everything is in NJ. PA you can't go out of state on your permit but you can on your junior license.
Speaking of brakes...I swear my car stopped almost an inch away from a Mercedes the other day with full pressure applied to the brakes. It was my mistake, I wasn't paying attention. My baby forgave me and stopped just in time. She's such a good bitch...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #39
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

thanks for your help guys...i have been driving anytime anywhere as do all the other kids around here. i mean although there is no such thing as a "good" driver i can drive. i mean i never got a ticket before from driving for like 2 years now lol. sucks that i made that stupid move to react by going into double. i still regret it as if i just followed and payed attention for that quick extra second i would have made it to the ny border just a few meters away lol.

what would have happened if i crossed to the ny border which was just a few meters away? can the nj cop still pull me over when he had lights on in the state of nj?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #40
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwOwnsMe View Post
I have a good attorney and he's cheap! He handled all my tickets/charges and saved my ass BIG TIME! I should be sitting in jail, but now I'm typing on e90post.lol. Give his office a call 201 488 2620 ext 15. Ask for Richard Potter. Tell him Cyril sent ya. Good luck.
how much would you think he would charge? u think i can get both removed as it was a first offense and get away with just saying i didn't know about the crewphew thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #41
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

if car is registered under mother's name, will her insurance go up once i pay the ticket and do i get points on my license or hers?

so both ny and nj cops will have a record on me even once i pay the tickets for 3 years then goes away off record?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #42
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Being someone who got a reckless driving ticket when I was 17...I guess I can comment. Yes, your mother's insurance will go up ...pretty much...teenage drivers with your car are high already..this will most likely drive it up considerably. How much? depends on your insurance company and their policy on reckless driving.

My reckless driving ticket was for going through a left turn lane and negotiating a turn way too fast..I corrected and overcorrected going thru the corner...I didnt think it was reckless per se...but the officer viewing it did...he also said I sped 45 in a 25 in the neighborhood after negotiating the turn..which wasn't true..my heart was beating a zillion miles a minute..and I was driving 25 that whole time.....totally freaked out. I pulled over immediately when I saw his lights..and I was (no joke) about 1/8 mile ahead when he turned onto the street I was on. He handcuffed me and took me down to the station for my folks to pick me up.....My dad was livid..I was grounded for the next 3 months.

I hope you learned your lesson like I did.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #43
Doccommando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Evo IX

Quote:
thanks for your help guys...i have been driving anytime anywhere as do all the other kids around here. i mean although there is no such thing as a "good" driver i can drive. i mean i never got a ticket before from driving for like 2 years now lol. sucks that i made that stupid move to react by going into double. i still regret it as if i just followed and payed attention for that quick extra second i would have made it to the ny border just a few meters away lol.

what would have happened if i crossed to the ny border which was just a few meters away? can the nj cop still pull me over when he had lights on in the state of nj?
You really don't get it, do you?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 02:59 AM   #44
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGeek View Post
Can't we just build a translator into this forum so I don't have to go to Babelfish?
Appreciate 0