BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

03-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Rear brake pads & rotor replacement

Guys,

My mom has a 2007 550i. She took it to our local shop for a brake fluid change and after the job was done, they mentioned to her that her rear brakes should be changed soon. They said that the pads are down to about 10%. The computer says that the rear brakes have another 15k miles to go before they should be replaced. I know the computer only gives an estimate, but does this sound like a stretch? My mom is easy on her car so I can't imagine why there would be any premature brake wear. If the pads are down to 10%, shouldn't the brake sensor have been set off, letting her know that she needs to change them?

I've taken my car and her car to this shop before and I know they are good guys who do good work for a very reasonable price. They have very positive reviews and I can't imagine them trying to rip anybody off. This just sounds a bit off to me.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Wes
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
thedohboy
Rep
Drives: E60 all stock.

IMHO, sensors are not fool proof.

My car reads 14K miles remaining on the rears but only have 2mm. In the best interest of the car and my kids safety, I'm replacing them. It's only $5-700 at an indy to replace rotors, sensors, and pads.

If it's an indy you trust, there's no reason to stop trusting them. They want you to come back; taking your money once without having a good reference long term is not good business.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedohboy View Post
IMHO, sensors are not fool proof.

My car reads 14K miles remaining on the rears but only have 2mm. In the best interest of the car and my kids safety, I'm replacing them. It's only $5-700 at an indy to replace rotors, sensors, and pads.

If it's an indy you trust, there's no reason to stop trusting them. They want you to come back; taking your money once without having a good reference long term is not good business.
Thank you.

Yes, it is a shop that I trust. They quoted me @ $630 for all parts and labor. I think that is very fair for the area that I live in.
Appreciate 0