BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #265
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
So it's okay to physically hit someone if you don't like what they say. I guess this is now precedent for all of us. Let's say I have a patient who says something impolite about my wife jokingly. Can I smack them in the face? It's probably a bad idea because my reputation would be destroyed, I'd probably be on the local news, and the DOH would probably suspend my license.

And btw, I've never laid a hand on anyone for saying something that offended me. I'll usually respond verbally, or walk away. Simple. And I haven't "been sheltered in [a] rainbow fairy land..." like you suggest.
I’ll keep an eye on Luli Ortiz on Channel 12 just to be sure I don’t miss any reports about you.
      04-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #266
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
Doesn't matter where it happened. if you "act" differently in different surroundings you're fake.
No it means you're and adult and aware of your surroundings and know that there is a time and a place, when you grow up you'll understand.
DETRoadster11478.50
Wolf 3352368.50
      04-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #267
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
So it's okay to physically hit someone if you don't like what they say. I guess this is now precedent for all of us. Let's say I have a patient who says something impolite about my wife jokingly. Can I smack them in the face? It's probably a bad idea because my reputation would be destroyed, I'd probably be on the local news, and the DOH would probably suspend my license.
I'd suggest you shouldn't see professional and personal etiquette as one. (And discuss your wife with your patients at all, perhaps. ) Just as you've noticed, there are additional requirements/limitations at work that should be observed even if you would do differently otherwise.

Quote:
And btw, I've never laid a hand on anyone for saying something that offended me. I'll usually respond verbally, or walk away. Simple. And I haven't "been sheltered in [a] rainbow fairy land..."
Nor have I, though I do feel like regretting it in many cases.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #268
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
This thread is about what happens when you say something in public to someone's face. And if you insist on your right to speak it can cause more trouble than if you let it go. Keyboard or not, "warrior mentality" is still doubtful. They can (and they do) provoke/assault you in real life just as well.

Mixing virtual reality with real life is a big stupid mistake. And for "keyboard warriors" there are moderators. You don't have to sue.

You should have skipped it. See car forums listed at the top of the page.
Freedom of speech on a public setting, inciting a riot or yelling fire in a crowd aside, is a fundamental right
The moment you condone someone physically assaulting another person for what they conceive as offensive , then you pen the door for anyone to come bitch slap you for what THEY deemed you've said is offensive ....no matter how mundane
Called me sir? Bam slapped in the face
I don't identify as a sir
Freedom of speech....either all of it is ok or none of it is ok
So don't like what was said in a public setting..... LEAVE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #269
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

We have laws about physical violence for a reason.

People talk shit all day long. The second you get physical you crossed the line of the law.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 08:02 PM   #270
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

We have laws about physical violence for a reason.

People talk shit all day long. The second you get physical you crossed the line of the law.
Exactly.

If Rock's joke about Mrs Smith was out of line, then all of the "your mama," "fat guy," "bald guy," and similar jokes are out of line.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 09:23 PM   #271
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
words will never hurt me.
Words don't hurt, inappropriate behaviour does. For example, a beggar addressed me at an airport. When declined, he made a verbal assault. It wasn't his words that made me mad, it was the very fact he had taken the liberty to say that. I didn't "test" his ability to "afford" it only because I didn't want to deal with the airport security instead of flying to the sea. No respect for his lack of respect for me.

Many people act as if their apparent inability to substantiate their demands gives them superiority. Why so? I really doubt I should let them explore my prudence against me. If they don't spare themselves I wouldn't either. Especially after they've raised the most unfriendly feelings in me towards them. Some women try to treat (speak to) me as if I were their husband. But I am not. They must respect that. Say, if I had a wife and she were there... "I have no respect for those who have no respect for logic."
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #272
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
Haven't you ever been offended yourself?
of course

Quote:
And haven't you ever slapped or punched someone in response to an emotional trigger? If not you've been sheltered in rainbow fairy land your whole life..
Nope and nope. I just don't let me emotions control me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 08:04 AM   #273
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I'd suggest you shouldn't see professional and personal etiquette as one. (And discuss your wife with your patients at all, perhaps. ) Just as you've noticed, there are additional requirements/limitations at work that should be observed even if you would do differently otherwise.

Nor have I, though I do feel like regretting it in many cases.
It was hypothetical that someone would say something negative about my wife. It has never happened, but only a "what if" situation.

In any case, hitting another person over words is uncalled for. Period.
      04-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #274
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]

Last edited by Torgus; 04-04-2022 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 6
RickFLM411000.00
bobowar1353479.00
Wolf 3352368.50
Rocket455495.00