BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Audi Q5: Going to Mammoth with OEM all season tires?

Do you guys think its ok for the Q5 to make it to Mammoth from Socal without chains and factory all season tires during Jan 15th weekend? Especially the guys that went to mammoth before chime in?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
They keep the roads pretty clear there during the snow season but take a chain just in case. Most SUV's do fine up there when it snows. If it's a 4x4 or all-wheel drive car, even better. You probably don't need any chains or snow tires.

Going from SoCal, the road is great, smooth a ride. No harsh slopes or curves - almost 4 lane freeway all the way to Mammoth Lakes. You may need to put on the chains in the town itself but there are usually guys who do it or $20-30 if you pull over the road right before you go in.

Have fun ...We had a blast there last week
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

well I was more of thinking about going without chains at all, because its expansive and its not my car
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

It'll probably make it fine... the question is if the state police will let you go if they are requiring chain up.

I drove up to Tahoe last winter. I bought a set of chains (cheap cable ones) from a pep boys. I didn't use them while I was up there so when we got back to LA i just returned them. For me it was cheap insurance incase they required them and I couldn't find any locally...

*shrug*
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

You're totally fine. If the Q5 has quattro and M/S tires, you're good to go. Trust me! This is coming from a former season pass holder (just ended it last year) and my buddies who are still season pass holders (over 7 years). We go many times each year and usually take his 4runner with 4x4 and all season tires. He never takes chains (doesn't even own any) and we've been through many horrible storms up there.

Don't forget to stop at Mahagony Meats in Bishop for the BEST beef jerky. www.smokedmeats.com

Have fun! Let me know if you would like some dining suggestions at Mammoth. Can't wait until I hit Mammoth...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i've lived in nor cal for a long time, and i always used to take chains going up to tahoe (along w/ a front wheel drive or awd car). then i moved to upstate ny for grad school for 2 years, and people up there have never even heard of chains (and it really snows hardcore up there), and race around on all seasons as if the road's were snow-less.

takeaway: i learned that if i drive conservatively (take physics into account), a fwd car w/ all-seasons will drive thru just about anything (including slush, steep grades, etc)