BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-15-2023, 10:48 PM   #1
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Why do people cycle on busy streets?

Excluding metro areas.

I live in Phoenix and I see people bicycle (cycle) on busy streets when there's no reason too. They cycle on busy main streets. Why would you even want to do that when you can do it on side streets?

Aren't they afraid of getting hit by a car? Makes no sense
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410877.50
      02-15-2023, 11:17 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Excluding metro areas.

I live in Phoenix and I see people bicycle (cycle) on busy streets when there's no reason too. They cycle on busy main streets. Why would you even want to do that when you can do it on side streets?

Because, well, they're entitled.
Appreciate 7
Th3Walrus325.50
Torgus3779.00
Soul_Glo13282.50
Tyga113227.00
RickFLM410877.50
      02-16-2023, 12:25 AM   #3
Ledesc
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive F22 OPF Model

I’m afraid we have the same in each and every country…
Are they also very aggressive against pedestrians?
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2023, 02:43 AM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

It’s because they want to die or be run over and sent to the closest emergency room
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:45 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Apparently none of you all are cyclists or even motorcyclists. Many people use cycling as their commuter vehicle. Many people prefer to use their bicycle as basic transportation. And depending on what you define as a busy main road, traveling via bicycle can in many ways may be faster than driving. There are tons of people that cycle in NYC for this very reason and no one here can argue that NYC streets are not busy. Also, some places/areas prohibit cyclists from riding on the sidewalks.

Yes, cyclists have to adhere to the same rules of the road as motor vehicles. But unless there is a sign prohibiting a cyclist from riding their bicycle on that stretch of road, the cyclist has every right to be on that road as you in your cage. As long as the cyclist isn't doing something stupid on the road or being an ass by riding slow in a through lane blocking traffic flow, I see nothing wrong.
Appreciate 3
overcoil3068.50
HXS741.00
      02-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Apparently none of you all are cyclists or even motorcyclists. Many people use cycling as their commuter vehicle. Many people prefer to use their bicycle as basic transportation. And depending on what you define as a busy main road, traveling via bicycle can in many ways may be faster than driving. There are tons of people that cycle in NYC for this very reason and no one here can argue that NYC streets are not busy. Also, some places/areas prohibit cyclists from riding on the sidewalks.

Yes, cyclists have to adhere to the same rules of the road as motor vehicles. But unless there is a sign prohibiting a cyclist from riding their bicycle on that stretch of road, the cyclist has every right to be on that road as you in your cage. As long as the cyclist isn't doing something stupid on the road or being an ass by riding slow in a through lane blocking traffic flow, I see nothing wrong.
I cycle... 13 miles typically... but have done 25+ on occasion.

I live in a smaller, less populated town. I WOULD never cycle on streets unless it's just to get around a sidewalk that is unavailable... it's simply far too unsafe to be sharing roads with 3000-4000 lb cars. Then you add in the biker clowns that feel they are entitled, wear headphones and don't even look when crossing the roads... yeah good luck.

As far as bike lanes... those are excellent if you want to die as well. I would stick to sidewalks almost exclusively unless in suburban neighborhoods. In a big city - like NYC, LA, MIA and the like... you shouldn't be biking that's my opinion... its just too dangerous.
      02-16-2023, 08:31 AM   #7
OtoPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F150, 23 M4, JD3038E

My peeve is that they ride ON the stripe of the dedicated bike lane. imagine driver's response if I kept left tires on the centerline stripe...
Appreciate 2
Th3Walrus325.50
bobowar1353479.00
      02-16-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I cycle... 13 miles typically... but have done 25+ on occasion.

I live in a smaller, less populated town. I WOULD never cycle on streets unless it's just to get around a sidewalk that is unavailable... it's simply far too unsafe to be sharing roads with 3000-4000 lb cars. Then you add in the biker clowns that feel they are entitled, wear headphones and don't even look when crossing the roads... yeah good luck.

As far as bike lanes... those are excellent if you want to die as well. I would stick to sidewalks almost exclusively unless in suburban neighborhoods. In a big city - like NYC, LA, MIA and the like... you shouldn't be biking that's my opinion... its just too dangerous.
And that's your choice. Everyone has their risk tolerance. I have ridden on very busy streets and don't have a problem It just depends on the street. Would I do it on a multi lane highway with speed limits from 45 MPH on up?
Probably not. But for many streets I don't have an issue especially since I can maintain a speed of 28MPH for a decent duration.

This is the same argument made about motorcyclists. Maybe I'm a bit screwed up in the head as I've personally faced death twice which tends to screw you up a bit mentally. So my level of risk tolerance is higher than most.

But if everyone (cars, trucks, motorcyclists, cyclists) pays attention to what the hell they're doing on the roads, it wouldn't be so risky for everyone to share the same road.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 09:07 AM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

I don't think anyone is talking about commuters. I rarely have any issues with the one guy on his bike clearly using it to commute. It's when you run into a pack of 20 of them in full spandex like they are in the tour de france that they become a problem.

Typically a single tour de france trannie isn't much of a bother, but still makes me wonder why they choose to do this pass time (because these mofos are not commuting anywhere) on roads with heavy traffic. I'm not a cyclist, but I do ride a bike sometimes... in parks and other areas where it's pleasant to do so. I just don't see how one enjoys riding their bike on busy streets risking getting run over at any moment. Then again maybe they like the adrenaline rush of almost dying all the time.
Appreciate 2
Th3Walrus325.50
RickFLM410877.50
      02-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't think anyone is talking about commuters. I rarely have any issues with the one guy on his bike clearly using it to commute. It's when you run into a pack of 20 of them in full spandex like they are in the tour de france that they become a problem.

Typically a single tour de france trannie isn't much of a bother, but still makes me wonder why they choose to do this pass time (because these mofos are not commuting anywhere) on roads with heavy traffic. I'm not a cyclist, but I do ride a bike sometimes... in parks and other areas where it's pleasant to do so. I just don't see how one enjoys riding their bike on busy streets risking getting run over at any moment. Then again maybe they like the adrenaline rush of almost dying all the time.
Not arguing with you on the packs. But I really only see them along roads that are winding through park areas or in very rural routes. I've never seen these packs in a metro or suburban area unless it's part of some permitted organized event.

As to riding on busy streets, per my reply above, everyone has their risk tolerances. For me, I use cycling as my aerobic workout. For the speeds I need to travel to get a good workout, I'd be in violation of prudent speed limits on bike trails and endangering pedestrian traffic.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2023, 10:08 AM   #11
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

Cycling on the road... ie.. "Sharing the Road" is fraught with issues. One of them being that, when there are dedicated cycling "lanes", most of the time they are never swept and are covered in shards of glass and debris.

so... when getting from point A to point B (why I used to cycle on busy roads), if you ride in that "proper" cycling lane, you stand a decent chance of cutting a tire down and ending up with your head under a tire of a passing car.

that could be 1 of the reasons to ride on the white line... but generally, riding on smooth paint is a bad idea.

Safety in traffic also means (usually) taking enough of the lane that cars have to physically go far around you, and "uneducated-about-cycling" drivers don't subconsciously assume that they can skim by you while still taking the entire lane you are in... which can easily result in you (the cyclist) getting hammered by a mirror at speed... in traffic. ie... if you try to ride far to the right, you may have to swerve deeper into the lane to avoid a metal grate... no matter the direction of grating... they are a bad deal for cyclists. bad-bad.... but a person driving a car trying to skim by you wouldn't know that you need to do that. again. bad-bad.

Why? Point A to Point B. Though as phones became more of a distraction for drivers, my road-cycling days have dwindled. Being in another car among distracted drivers is dangerous enough.

Last edited by br438; 02-16-2023 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 10:10 AM   #12
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
And that's your choice. Everyone has their risk tolerance. I have ridden on very busy streets and don't have a problem It just depends on the street. Would I do it on a multi lane highway with speed limits from 45 MPH on up?
Probably not. But for many streets I don't have an issue especially since I can maintain a speed of 28MPH for a decent duration.

This is the same argument made about motorcyclists. Maybe I'm a bit screwed up in the head as I've personally faced death twice which tends to screw you up a bit mentally. So my level of risk tolerance is higher than most.

But if everyone (cars, trucks, motorcyclists, cyclists) pays attention to what the hell they're doing on the roads, it wouldn't be so risky for everyone to share the same road.
risk tolerance is a different discussions... i think it comes down to common sense.

You are on a 20 lb device vs people in 3-4k lb devices... if u get hit, no matter what u lose.

The real problem is that NO ONE pays attention and that won't change... driver or biker... however, the driver will always win due to sheer mass. I drive every day and see so many bikers not even looking both ways when crossing... its insane

But again, this is more of a competition of size on the road... one which ur always poised to lose.
      02-16-2023, 10:20 AM   #13
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Every vehicle has it’s enemy..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      02-16-2023, 11:10 AM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

It's absolutely insane, people have a death wish I swear. never, ever trust a driver. Ever. Why people risk it does my head in and actually angers me when they have their kids do it too. A 5 year old died not long ago after being hit just down the street from me, he was riding with his dad. Why you'd have a 5 year old riding a bike with 4K lb SUV flying past at 30 MPH is fucking beyond me.

Idiots.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10049.50
Joachim317.50
      02-16-2023, 01:00 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
risk tolerance is a different discussions... i think it comes down to common sense.

You are on a 20 lb device vs people in 3-4k lb devices... if u get hit, no matter what u lose.

The real problem is that NO ONE pays attention and that won't change... driver or biker... however, the driver will always win due to sheer mass. I drive every day and see so many bikers not even looking both ways when crossing... its insane

But again, this is more of a competition of size on the road... one which ur always poised to lose.
Common sense would mean that everyone would drive tanks too with your logic. After all a semi truck is going to squash your 3 to 4k lb car. See how this logic can get out of hand. I know the risks with riding BOTH bicycles and motorcycles. Some will call me stupid for doing so. That's your opinion. Or put in another way with your logic, no one would ever cross a street with cars traveling on it. Pedestrians get hit all the time by cars. Or in the case of the recent incident in NYC, some deranged a$$hole intentionally plowed a UHaul through sidewalks to hit people. So are you advocating never walking on a sidewalk near cars too? After all there is that risk.

Common sense is relative and only common based on point of view. I do things to ensure I minimize my exposure as best that I can. It's not going to prevent every risk factor. There are things I enjoy doing and I'm not going to stop because of some fear something might happen. I'm not being reckless either. I've done nothing risky to increase my risk of cancer. Yet, I got hit with it twice. That there has taught me I have no control over many things no matter how much I try. If it's my time to go, it's going to be that time no matter what I do.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 01:07 PM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It's absolutely insane, people have a death wish I swear. never, ever trust a driver. Ever. Why people risk it does my head in and actually angers me when they have their kids do it too. A 5 year old died not long ago after being hit just down the street from me, he was riding with his dad. Why you'd have a 5 year old riding a bike with 4K lb SUV flying past at 30 MPH is fucking beyond me.

Idiots.
Who is saying trust the driver? The mere fact you're bringing that up says a lot about the piss poor licensing in North America. Where's the accountability for the driver. I take my daughter on rides around my NEIGHBORHOOD. Speed limit is 25 MPH in the major throughways and implied to be less in sections that branch off into individual cul de sacs. My daughter wears a helmet and I RIDE behind her. So if anyone gets hit, it will be me first. This is a neighborhood where kids should be able to go out and do kid stuff. By your logic, are you calling all the parents that let their kids play out in front of their homes idiots when cars drive by near them?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #17
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Common sense would mean that everyone would drive tanks too with your logic. After all a semi truck is going to squash your 3 to 4k lb car. See how this logic can get out of hand. I know the risks with riding BOTH bicycles and motorcycles. Some will call me stupid for doing so. That's your opinion. Or put in another way with your logic, no one would ever cross a street with cars traveling on it. Pedestrians get hit all the time by cars. Or in the case of the recent incident in NYC, some deranged a$$hole intentionally plowed a UHaul through sidewalks to hit people. So are you advocating never walking on a sidewalk near cars too? After all there is that risk.

Common sense is relative and only common based on point of view. I do things to ensure I minimize my exposure as best that I can. It's not going to prevent every risk factor. There are things I enjoy doing and I'm not going to stop because of some fear something might happen. I'm not being reckless either. I've done nothing risky to increase my risk of cancer. Yet, I got hit with it twice. That there has taught me I have no control over many things no matter how much I try. If it's my time to go, it's going to be that time no matter what I do.
A few things-

1) Imho, vehicles below 3k lbs are no longer fit for the streets in today's traffic. Sadly cars have gone massively larger, this is a fact... this would disqualify your miatas etc on today's streets sorry.

2) Semi trucks have limited exposures in that 95% of their miles are on two lane divided highways as they typically travel long distances where there is less two way traffic...

3) Pedestrians vs bikes -pedestrians DO NOT walk on the streets unless it's to cross them... they should never be on them outside of that. Pedestrians also move at 2 MPH and can move or jump in any direction as long as they are paying attention with little to no risk. A bike moves forward w great speed that you physically don't even need to get hit by anything to fly forward... any bump, rock, undulations on the street, pedestrians walking... absolutely anything can screw you... if this is a risk you want to take on your bikes or motorcycle... i won't argue with you. I own a dirt bike so I like bikes but I wouldn't dare get on a public road.
      02-16-2023, 01:31 PM   #18
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

This thread is nuts! Have some tolerance, people. Live and let live (literally and figuratively).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #19
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
adding this to the discussion...
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Wolf 3352338.50
Dang3r12503.00
3.0L8902.00
RickFLM410877.50
      02-16-2023, 01:57 PM   #20
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

well, give me a minute to slip on my flame retardant vest...

a few reasons.

1. Most of the bike lanes have road debris in them which can puncture a tire or be a hazard.
2. It takes forever to get a bike moving from a stop, if the intersections clear go for it
3. It's much easier to transition to a cross street from the center lane
4. it's fun as hell

02-16-2023, 02:01 PM   #21
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
well, give me a minute to slip on my flame retardant vest...

a few reasons.

1. Most of the bike lanes have road debris in them which can puncture a tire or be a hazard.
2. It takes forever to get a bike moving from a stop, if the intersections clear go for it
3. It's much easier to transition to a cross street from the center lane
4. it's fun as hell

Just seems like you're needlessly putting yourself in harms way.

Why wouldn't you want to cycle on a non busy street? Plus, you are blocking traffic.

Last edited by Tyga11; 02-16-2023 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 02:07 PM   #22
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Excluding metro areas.

I guess I'll address the elephant in the room. It's because they're stupid. Seems to be a full on disease these days...
Appreciate 0