BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

07-10-2020, 01:28 AM   #1
Sebasfit909
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Bmw 528i 3.0L

Unhappy Help? Transmission problems

Hello everyone, I’m having an issue with my 2010 bmw 528i (146,000 miles), I got it used for $7,000 and everything was running fine until months later I noticed it was acting weird. I know I shouldn’t of bought a bmw but my 18 year old self wanted one so bad so I saved up for one (dumb decision) . Everytime I drive It runs smoothly until like 10 minutes in, I get a transmission malfunction message on the screen which resets by turning the car off and turning it back on. It reduces the car power and drives pretty slow . It feels kinda jerky sometimes so I have to be easy on the pedal. Also, when the engine is cold and I start the car and try to change gears, it automatically goes into park. I try it 5x until it finally changes gears or I just turn the car off and back on until it works. I have also noticed the heat shield I think is falling off and it makes a loud rattling sound sometimes when im cruising. and I can see a red cable inside of it and i don’t know it has anything to do with this but should I go to the dealership? Or go to a local shop? I know it may be expensive to fix but I’m only making $1,200 every 2 weeks. I also noticed I get a check engine light, but it goes away so it turns on and off. I added some pictures for more reference. Anyone have an idea what it could be ? i tried unplugging the battery and plugging it back on but still no luck. I replaced the battery couple months ago as well but it is aftermarket. Do I need an original oem bmw battery? A mechanic told me that my aftermarket battery was ruining my car and needed to buy an original one which are expensive but I don’t think it’s got to do with the battery. i was planning on driving to las vegas from los angeles because i am taking my girlfriend there for 3 nights but i think i should get it repaired first because i dont know if my car can handle driving over there since its a 3 hour trip. Im new to bmws i just graduated from high school. I have got my oil changed and my tune-up 3 months ago and everything was running good. I have learned my lesson that owning a bmw is pretty expensive. i work 48 hours a week and only get one day off a week so i worked my ass off for this car. Any advice? i really want it to run smoothly again and do not want to get ripped off or lied to from mechanics so posting my experience on this forum was my best bet to get help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sebasfit909; 07-10-2020 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Ktaylor9x
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 bmw 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasfit909 View Post
Hello everyone, I’m having an issue with my 2010 bmw 528i (146,000 miles), I got it used for $7,000 and everything was running fine until months later I noticed it was acting weird. I know I shouldn’t of bought a bmw but my 18 year old self wanted one so bad so I saved up for one (dumb decision) . Everytime I drive It runs smoothly until like 10 minutes in, I get a transmission malfunction message on the screen which resets by turning the car off and turning it back on. It reduces the car power and drives pretty slow . It feels kinda jerky sometimes so I have to be easy on the pedal. Also, when the engine is cold and I start the car and try to change gears, it automatically goes into park. I try it 5x until it finally changes gears or I just turn the car off and back on until it works. I have also noticed the heat shield I think is falling off and it makes a loud rattling sound sometimes when im cruising. and I can see a red cable inside of it and i don’t know it has anything to do with this but should I go to the dealership? Or go to a local shop? I know it may be expensive to fix but I’m only making $1,200 every 2 weeks. I also noticed I get a check engine light, but it goes away so it turns on and off. I added some pictures for more reference. Anyone have an idea what it could be ? i tried unplugging the battery and plugging it back on but still no luck. I replaced the battery couple months ago as well but it is aftermarket. Do I need an original oem bmw battery? A mechanic told me that my aftermarket battery was ruining my car and needed to buy an original one which are expensive but I don’t think it’s got to do with the battery. i was planning on driving to las vegas from los angeles because i am taking my girlfriend there for 3 nights but i think i should get it repaired first because i dont know if my car can handle driving over there since its a 3 hour trip. Im new to bmws i just graduated from high school. I have got my oil changed and my tune-up 3 months ago and everything was running good. I have learned my lesson that owning a bmw is pretty expensive. i work 48 hours a week and only get one day off a week so i worked my ass off for this car. Any advice? i really want it to run smoothly again and do not want to get ripped off or lied to from mechanics so posting my experience on this forum was my best bet to get help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasfit909 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm having an issue with my 2010 bmw 528i (146,000 miles), I got it used for $7,000 and everything was running fine until months later I noticed it was acting weird. I know I shouldn't of bought a bmw but my 18 year old self wanted one so bad so I saved up for one (dumb decision) . Everytime I drive It runs smoothly until like 10 minutes in, I get a transmission malfunction message on the screen which resets by turning the car off and turning it back on. It reduces the car power and drives pretty slow . It feels kinda jerky sometimes so I have to be easy on the pedal. Also, when the engine is cold and I start the car and try to change gears, it automatically goes into park. I try it 5x until it finally changes gears or I just turn the car off and back on until it works. I have also noticed the heat shield I think is falling off and it makes a loud rattling sound sometimes when im cruising. and I can see a red cable inside of it and i don't know it has anything to do with this but should I go to the dealership? Or go to a local shop? I know it may be expensive to fix but I'm only making $1,200 every 2 weeks. I also noticed I get a check engine light, but it goes away so it turns on and off. I added some pictures for more reference. Anyone have an idea what it could be ? i tried unplugging the battery and plugging it back on but still no luck. I replaced the battery couple months ago as well but it is aftermarket. Do I need an original oem bmw battery? A mechanic told me that my aftermarket battery was ruining my car and needed to buy an original one which are expensive but I don't think it's got to do with the battery. i was planning on driving to las vegas from los angeles because i am taking my girlfriend there for 3 nights but i think i should get it repaired first because i dont know if my car can handle driving over there since its a 3 hour trip. Im new to bmws i just graduated from high school. I have got my oil changed and my tune-up 3 months ago and everything was running good. I have learned my lesson that owning a bmw is pretty expensive. i work 48 hours a week and only get one day off a week so i worked my ass off for this car. Any advice? i really want it to run smoothly again and do not want to get ripped off or lied to from mechanics so posting my experience on this forum was my best bet to get help.
Any luck? I have the same problem
      07-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Ktaylor9x
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 bmw 530i

Have you fixed this?
      08-20-2020, 02:14 AM   #4
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Without a scanner you boys aren't gonna sort this thing out at all. Get yourself the bafx obd2 and use an app like deep obd bmw to read codes. Most cost effective way apart from a laptop with bmw tools from bimmergeeks and a kdcan cable. Idek what I'm doing in the e60 section lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
Deveray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i X-Drive Touring

You can get a transmission warning if there is a misfire and you feel the car bump under power. Mine was cured by changing the spark plugs and coils, but i didn't have any problem with Park etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

As other have said, get some kind of way to read the OBD codes. Carly, ISTA-D... there are a lot of of options. Without that you are just stabbing the dark. If you're not the DIY-type, you'll need to bring it to an indie or your dealership where they'll do the same thing for more money than you will have paid to scan it yourself (and then fix it of course).
Appreciate 0