BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

California to Ban the Sale of New Gasoline Cars

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/24/c...emissions.html

Good Luck with that...
      08-24-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

this will never happen...especially transportation companies and transit. Infrastructure has to be put in place for this to happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
It's literally 13 years from now and Europe is doing the same thing. Don't think they will need any luck at all.
Appreciate 7
      08-24-2022, 05:16 PM   #4
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

IMO 13 years is not a long enough timeframe for charging infrastructure to ramp up, EV production to grow, and affordable EVs to be developed. Double the timeframe and I'd be more optimistic. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

I wonder if they will ban registration of ICE cars purchased in other states. Used ICE car values could go through the roof. Many will just have to indefinitely maintain the cars they currently have.

Lower-income folks will get screwed the hardest, when they get priced out of buying cars that are practical for their needs. Homeowners with garages have places to charge overnight, but it's bad for renters or those without garages who would have to waste time at charging stations regularly.

Will this apply to semi trucks or others who tow for business?

Haven't heard details on any of this. It seems like they're just assuming if they push this out then everyone else will figure out the details.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
ntg442888.50
      08-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
It's literally 13 years from now and Europe is doing the same thing. Don't think they will need any luck at all.
Really? How's the energy situation in Europe going right now?

Meanwhile India/China will continue powering up with coal and fossil fuels which actually work and negate any global "benefit" from going with electric vehicles here. As always, the lower income people will get screwed the hardest. 1 in 6 US households are already behind on their energy bills.

People in this country better wake the f' up fast, realize green is the new red, and stop voting in the clowns who promote this shit.

This will do nothing to lower our energy costs either, a planned/controlled demolition where you'll own nothing and be happy. F' Klaus and anyone associated with the WEF.
Appreciate 25
Germanauto9698.00
nerdogray1286.00
Cos270608.50
PYE46M3852.00
jacbo78.50
jmack548.50
Torgus3781.50
INTMD8151.00
XMetal1128.00
jesm207.50
Run Silent15127.00
nicholasn261.00
scostu1621.00
zx10guy5149.50
M5Rick59591.00
DrFerry6727.00
phoenx332.50
cobra2814112.00
ntg442888.50
kyrix1st2356.50
      08-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

People in this country better wake the f' up fast, realize green is the new red, and stop voting in the clowns who promote this shit.
They are going to have to figure out something. Energy is going to be an issue for everyone. Japan PM just announced today it is reversing course on their policy of no new nuclear reactors. Japan will restart more idled nuclear plants and look at developing next-generation reactors. They want to stabilize energy supply.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      08-24-2022, 05:39 PM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Isn't someone going to have to prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's less harmful to the environment to drive an existing ICE car to it's natural end than to make a new EV? If not, it's just taking our freedom, which is, at the very least unconstitutional, no?
Appreciate 5
NickyC17439.00
lakefront560.50
scostu1621.00
DrFerry6727.00
      08-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
They are going to have to figure out something. Energy is going to be an issue for everyone. Japan PM just announced today it is reversing course on their policy of no new nuclear reactors. Japan will restart more idled nuclear plants and look at developing next-generation reactors. They want to stabilize energy supply.
"Figure something out" means stick with fossil fuels. They're the reason we've grown to nearly 8 billion people on this planet and for the most part have untold prosperity. Fossil fuels heat our homes and allow us to live in absolute luxury compared to how people lived just 100 years ago, never mind centuries before.

There is NO alternative right now. None of the pie in the sky "green" shit can even possibly hope to maintain what we have right now. It's all a complete con from the people who want to run and control every aspect of our lives.

Who cares if the planet gets a degree or two warmer? It's been far warmer in past periods before any Escalades were roaming around, and warmer temperatures are far better for our species than cold. The whole "man made climate change" and ESG scam is sickening.

Good for Japan, drill baby drill and build more nuke plants.
Appreciate 13
      08-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #9
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
"Figure something out" means stick with fossil fuels. They're the reason we've grown to nearly 8 billion people on this planet and for the most part have untold prosperity. Fossil fuels heat our homes and allow us to live in absolute luxury compared to how people lived just 100 years ago, never mind centuries before.

There is NO alternative right now. None of the pie in the sky "green" shit can even possibly hope to maintain what we have right now. It's all a complete con from the people who want to run and control every aspect of our lives.

Who cares if the planet gets a degree or two warmer? It's been far warmer in past periods before any Escalades were roaming around, and warmer temperatures are far better for our species than cold. The whole "man made climate change" and ESG scam is sickening.

ESG = Blackrock
Appreciate 3
NickyC17439.00
nerdogray1286.00
      08-24-2022, 06:16 PM   #10
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

Quote:

Meanwhile India/China will continue powering up with coal and fossil fuels which actually work and negate any global "benefit" from going with electric vehicles here. As always, the lower income people will get screwed the hardest. 1 in 6 US households are already behind on their energy bills.

This will do nothing to lower our energy costs either, a planned/controlled demolition where you'll own nothing and be happy. F' Klaus and anyone associated with the WEF.
Europe (or more accurately, this denial of people's sovereignty that they call "European Union") also picked 2035 as a deadline for ICE, what a (WEF) coincidence.
Funny thing is that Germany, which is Europe's heavyweight, massively relies on... burning coal to produce electricity. With the combined effect of the Ukraine crisis (shortage of gas supply ) and the political decision they made 12 years ago to give up nuclear plants, it's not like the trend is going to revert soon.
So they're about to trade diesel & gasoline cars to... coal cars. Sounds like a brilliant plan!

So yeah, welcome to a Better World, you Californians!
Appreciate 4
NickyC17439.00
Cos270608.50
scostu1621.00
      08-24-2022, 06:38 PM   #11
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Isn't someone going to have to prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's less harmful to the environment to drive an existing ICE car to it's natural end than to make a new EV? If not, it's just taking our freedom, which is, at the very least unconstitutional, no?
Hahahahaha that's cute. It's already been decided.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 06:41 PM   #12
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post
Europe (or more accurately, this denial of people's sovereignty that they call "European Union") also picked 2035 as a deadline for ICE, what a (WEF) coincidence.
Funny thing is that Germany, which is Europe's heavyweight, massively relies on... burning coal to produce electricity. With the combined effect of the Ukraine crisis (shortage of gas supply ) and the political decision they made 12 years ago to give up nuclear plants, it's not like the trend is going to revert soon.
So they're about to trade diesel & gasoline cars to... coal cars. Sounds like a brilliant plan!

Actually, they'll probably be buying oil and natural gas from the US. As the US continues to pay artificially high gas prices because of the policies and messages put out by the current administration over the past two years. It's a totally unmitigated cluster fueled by virtue signaling, greed and control.
Appreciate 6
NickyC17439.00
FastFrog143.50
nicholasn261.00
scostu1621.00
      08-24-2022, 07:17 PM   #13
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post

Actually, they'll probably be buying oil and natural gas from the US. As the US continues to pay artificially high gas prices because of the policies and messages put out by the current administration over the past two years. It's a totally unmitigated cluster fueled by virtue signaling, greed and control.
This!!!!! If you don't know, the government is funding Refinery's on the East coast to start units back up. So they take control and shut down as much refining they can. Then realize they need it and will burn tax money to restart something they never should have stopped. Typical
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #14
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
This!!!!! If you don't know, the government is funding Refinery's on the East coast to start units back up. So they take control and shut down as much refining they can. Then realize they need it and will burn tax money to restart something they never should have stopped. Typical
Yep. At the end of the day, as progressive as Biden may claim to be, he's a populist at heart. He will cave, but we'll all be paying the price in the mean time. He's in a tough situation because of how much he's promised all the OEMs with this push to EVs.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 07:22 PM   #15
OldDudesBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 328i xDrive+16 535i xDrive

Quote:

Exactly! It would be different IF they actually had a complete and mature platform to jump to. They don't, end of story. The groupies that can't think this fact though clearly are gambling and willing for us to fail (many will die or suffer, mostly the poor). All just so they can get rid of gas cars and parts of capitalism they don't like quicker.

By a mature platform, I mean the following:
(a) comparatively affordable to what we have now for all, without or before the subsidy.
(b) grid hardening, redundancy, and other charging infrastructure ready for heavy growth for most locations.

(c) we must keep current grids and infrastructure at least as stable as we have now. We should not be trading gas cars for brownouts in places that never had them before. This is not OK, again more people will die.

(d) is now a good time to do anything drastic? They can't even get the current proven working supply chains working properly again, let alone trying cut over to something new, different, and demanding, requiring additional items in larger quantities than ever before (lithium etc.). On top of that, we have inflation issues and another hot\cold war cycle going.

(e) new platform is proven beyond a reasonable doubt (easily shown to all) that it is ready and will be more sustainable and more stable than what we have today. Otherwise, what are we doing? EV's should just be a minor player until we are ready.

What else? Help me out. Otherwise, if they don't have a mature platform ready and in place, and beyond a reasonable doubt, perhaps the politicians, academics, environmental activists and their groupies need to be asked "How many they are willing to sacrifice, if they rush and misjudge this? Will it be worth it, or should we allow EV's to grow slowly and be more cautious?"

Very concerned. With the current population, energy needs and the World's complexity in 2022, these folks have no idea they are standing on a thin sheet of ice. This is much different than any other transformational technology or time period in the past. They are not ready, they are mistaking politics for sound science, engineering and economics...and common sense.
Cos270608.50
NickyC17439.00
cobra2814112.00
      08-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #16
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...g-action-plan/

"President Biden has united automakers and autoworkers to drive American leadership forward on clean cars, and he set an ambitious target of 50% of electric vehicle (EV) sale shares in the U.S. by 2030. Now, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will supercharge America’s efforts to lead the electric future, Building a Better America where we can strengthen domestic supply chains, outcompete the world, and make electric cars cheaper for working families."

I'm not getting into the politics of this, I'm simply posting a link to some news surrounding Biden's "plan" here as it relates to the proposed proliferation of EV's.
      08-24-2022, 07:31 PM   #17
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RM3NT View Post
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...g-action-plan/

"President Biden has united automakers and autoworkers to drive American leadership forward on clean cars, and he set an ambitious target of 50% of electric vehicle (EV) sale shares in the U.S. by 2030. Now, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will supercharge America's efforts to lead the electric future, Building a Better America where we can strengthen domestic supply chains, outcompete the world, and make electric cars cheaper for working families."

I'm not getting into the politics of this, I'm simply posting a link to some news surrounding Biden's "plan" here as it relates to the proposed proliferation of EV's.
He can say anything he wants. The way things are going, the Republicans can put a monkey up for president and they will smoke the opponent. I don't consider myself left or right. I'm right on some stuff and left on other stuff. Every time I go to vote, I always think the same thing. These are the 2 best fucking people we can get ? Lol. So when the Red people take back power in 2 years, all these promises will put for not. Weather that's good or bad it's just how this shit works. Or lack there of
Appreciate 9
Cos270608.50
T0RM3NT3602.50
Germanauto9698.00
PYE46M3852.00
lakefront560.50
nicholasn261.00
540iSUP703.00
      08-24-2022, 07:43 PM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
He can say anything he wants. The way things are going, the Republicans can put a monkey up for president and they will smoke the opponent. I don't consider myself left or right. I'm right on some stuff and left on other stuff. Every time I go to vote, I always think the same thing. These are the 2 best fucking people we can get ? Lol. So when the Red people take back power in 2 years, all these promises will put for not. Weather that's good or bad it's just how this shit works. Or lack there of
It may slow the transition but ultimately CA politicians gonna do what they want. That's the downside of states that reliably vote for one party across the board, left or right. Ironically, the state with the best climate and driving roads also has the most toxic anti-car enthusiast people in office.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
540iSUP703.00
      08-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #19
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
It may slow the transition but ultimately CA politicians gonna do what they want. That's the downside of states that reliably vote for one party across the board, left or right. Ironically, the state with the best climate and driving roads also has the most toxic anti-car enthusiast people in office.
I hear you. I will just bite my tongue on Cali politics. Lol. They have plenty of bigger issues than worrying about EV cars. To say the least
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9698.00
T0RM3NT3602.50
540iSUP703.00
      08-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #20
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I don't think so. This is America. You're not going to get our guns, and you're not going to get our gasoline motorcycles and cars.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00
      08-24-2022, 08:34 PM   #21
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
I don't think so. This is America. You're not going to get our guns, and you're not going to get our gasoline motorcycles and cars.
And you know what has more pull than guns or gasoline? The all-mighty dollar.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #22
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Climate change has to be addressed and transportation is an important part of it. EVs, especially when more solar, wind, and other renewables are contributing to the grid, will be a significant reduction over ICEs. It's unambiguous.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50