BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #67
radman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330E G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendid View Post
I am actually so happy right now. I am one of those g20 owners that has been complaining for 3 years about this issue. Mostly prevalent in hot weather. There were suggestions it was the tie rods but never anything concrete to show my “could not replicate” dealer. I really hope this solves it!
Does your also propagate to the steering wheel? Like a sharper “clank” when going over uneven road or bumps. It would help to know the issue that’s been driving me mad is not an isolated case. I’m new to this forum, and my first bmw. So apologies in advance for any mistakes. Mine is a 2020 330E
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 08:59 PM   #68
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
Hey what did u do to recreate the noise btw ? Was it just steering the the wheel back and forth when the wheels are stationary ? Or is it recreated in a different way ?

I’ve noticed a kinda creaking /flexing noise when steering the wheel but only when the car is stationary and I’m holding the brake down while steering.
I could never reliably recreate it. It would just pop and clunk on hot days when going over slightly uneven roads or sometimes what seemed like flat roads. After the SIB fix was applied (tie rods replaced) I have not noticed the clunk anymore. I do get creaking when cutting the wheel to the extremes while standing still or moving slowly, like parking in tight spaces.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 09:00 PM   #69
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radman View Post
Does your also propagate to the steering wheel? Like a sharper “clank” when going over uneven road or bumps. It would help to know the issue that’s been driving me mad is not an isolated case. I’m new to this forum, and my first bmw. So apologies in advance for any mistakes. Mine is a 2020 330E
Yes that’s exactly what mine did. When it would clunk I would feel it in the wheel and even slightly in my brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #70
radman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330E G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendid View Post
Yes that’s exactly what mine did. When it would clunk I would feel it in the wheel and even slightly in my brake pedal.
How long did you experience it for? I will get it checked out asap but wondering if I’m in any imminent danger by waiting 1-2 weeks. I don’t feel mine in the break pedal so maybe it hasn’t reached that stage yet? My car was manufactured January 2020 so when I check the VIN, no recall shows up.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #71
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radman View Post
How long did you experience it for? I will get it checked out asap but wondering if I’m in any imminent danger by waiting 1-2 weeks. I don’t feel mine in the break pedal so maybe it hasn’t reached that stage yet? My car was manufactured January 2020 so when I check the VIN, no recall shows up.
To my knowledge there’s no danger, nor is there a formal recall. It’s just a service bulletin. I had the issue for over 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 06:51 AM   #72
sxychubles
Private
Rep
Drives: Sakhir 6MT F80

Not sure why these cars come with a warranty, I have had no luck getting my f80 steering issues fixed and now this on my g82. I'm experiencing the same problems as the rest of you(knocking in the steering wheel over slightly unever roads, sometimes flat road causing knocking, etc) since this is a relatively cheap fix to do myself, I'm considering upgrading the tierod ends. Has anyone used the spl tie rod ends and did it fix the issue? Thanks!

Last edited by sxychubles; 08-20-2023 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Fat finger typos
Appreciate 0