BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
adidas_kn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

2008 550i 6Auto wont start. EGS no communication.

Surprised last week when trying to leave work just to find it won't start(not a sound or try) with a Cog icon on the cluster and an error on the radio display stating : Transmission Fault. Functionality or display of gear selector position may malfunction……….. It also had a DBC Malfunction under that. The shifter was powered down(no Park indicator light) so it was able to be moved anywhere in it's range with the car on or off. I left the car there and got a ride home. Next morning I drove my truck to work and went and tried to start the car. Low and behold it fired right up with no errors anywhere. Came back at lunch to start it up to drive it home and the same error came back up and the car wouldn't start. I checked the voltage and it was low. I pushed the car indoors and tried charging the battery back up. Still wouldn't start even with a jump. Bought a new 900CCA battery and installed it. Car started right up. I drove that damn thing home problem and error free. I used my special OBD tool to register the battery and made sure the car started up again. It did. Next morning it did the same exact thing. No start and same trans fault error (no DBC malfunction anymore). I swapped on another IBS cable to fix the battery drain issue. I tried disconnecting both battery terminals for 30sec to see if it would power the modules down and see if it powers the EGS back up. Didn't work I might try disconnecting the battery for a bit longer(15min?) to see if it resets everything.
Called my buddy to swing by with his BMW CAN bus cable and I believe INPA software to look deeper since my OBD scan tool showed no codes. Showed That the EGS is not reachable. The following codes were in the system; 00D358, S 0364, 002DCA, 00A46D, 00CDB0, and 00E095. I freaked out seeing that it was the trans controller which after looking it up is actually located on the Mechatronics Valvebody…. I've included pictures of my findings and errors and diagrams. Somebody please tell me that this EGS is powered by the IVM located by the PCM and that it is causing it to keep the EGS from powering up. I have an IVM that I can swap in to find out. I've only owned this car since mid May of this year. It's been pretty damn trouble free until now besides the dead Sat radio module that I had to optically bypass(the SDARS module in red).
Attached Images

Last edited by adidas_kn; 10-03-2018 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0