BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
Cheyenne
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Headlights aftermarket

Just bought my 1st BMW...2010 535i..HID and Adaptive headlights....as ive been trying to research, seems many have same issues and take different paths for solution. My lenses are foggy, even though I spent 4 hours trying to buff them with the Mother’s Kit...but also wires are “peeled” and some of pieces internally cracking and the round headlight cover fell off inside housing. 2 questions if I may, are there any aftermarket headlights for replacement plug and play, or do all aftermarket need to be “coded” (learning all about this coding thing, not sure yet). 2nd, who sells internal parts for these? The housing for HID on mine is actually cracking. Read somewhere parts could be purchased online, but looked all last night and could not find that particular part. Never had so many issues dealing with a headlight. Danggg! Buying OEM would be last resort. Really don’t want to spend the big money on headlights. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10-15-2020 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Hella makes the OE lights which are cheaper than BMW Genuine at about $700 each . Any non-adaptive lights will require coding, although even then you're not talking a ton cheaper. Other than the bulbs, motor and ballast, the headlight assembly internals aren't sold separately like most headlights.

Cleaning them is pretty easy particularly given how easy it is to remove them from the car. The 3M restoration kit works very well. I have used it on my e60 and e90 and they both look new. The only thing I did differently when using this was go over the lens with 240 grit on an oscillating tool. It made the finer grits with the 3M kit go a lot faster/easier.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Not sure if there are any aftermarket for xenon for LCI. These headlights suck, I have to remove and apply liquid tape to fix. Holding up so far. Find decent used from a non harsh environment
Appreciate 0