BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #815
Juvi
New Member
3
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i xDrive Gran Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Good catch.

My info states the engineering planning was for March SOP as late as December. Market conditions I guess?
Probably yes, should not be any technical barriers. Thanks for updating the list.

By the way, I'm getting a bit worried, if BMW will not do the official reveal of G26 during the next couple of weeks. Because all the info bits so far support revealing it in March, specificly early March. Why they revealed the unfinished iX already last November, when the SOP is July 2021, is only to create hype - when G26 still remains hiding with the same SOP and fully finished technology and design. It seems that electricity is making car makers to act illogical. Of course, if they will reveal also i4 at the same time with G26 ICE, they might want to hold it back, because i4's SOP is only in autumn.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #816
ynguldyn
Colonel
4209
Rep
2,788
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

G81 production date added.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel6837.00

      03-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #817
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6837
Rep
19,202
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
G81 production date added.
So it’ll actually trail the G20/G21/G80 LCI by one four-month update interval. Oh well, it should go through the end of G21 production in 6/26 (just like the M4 convertible should outlast the M4 coupe, ending with the 4 Series convertible) which still gives it over three and a half years on the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #818
xlover
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
1347
Rep
1,759
Posts

Drives: 2021 M340 xdrive w/MPE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So itíll actually trail the G20/G21/G80 LCI by one four-month update interval. Oh well, it should go through the end of G21 production in 6/26 (just like the M4 convertible should outlast the M4 coupe, ending with the 4 Series convertible) which still gives it over three and a half years on the market.
It is also new news that the wagon will be a series run not a limited production one off...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #819
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6837
Rep
19,202
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
It is also new news that the wagon will be a series run not a limited production one off...
Is it? I never expected a limited production vehicle. I don't think BMW has ever done a limited run in a bespoken body style. I might be wrong, but I can't think of one.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #820
xlover
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
1347
Rep
1,759
Posts

Drives: 2021 M340 xdrive w/MPE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Is it? I never expected a limited production vehicle. I don't think BMW has ever done a limited run in a bespoken body style. I might be wrong, but I can't think of one.
insider info at initial teaser... I believe but cannot find yet that SCOTT26 also posted something along these lines

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=8
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #821
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6837
Rep
19,202
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
insider info at initial teaser... I believe but cannot find yet that SCOTT26 posted something along these lines

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=8
I missed that, but that's one prediction that I would have treated with skepticism.

It could boil down to hair splitting. The E61 M5 wasn't expressly limited, but they sold fewer than 1000 worldwide to my recollection. So, if you apply the same production cadence to the G81, you might end up with a similar total assuming roughly the same production window. However, that cadence isn't set in stone - it can no doubt be adjusted based on demand. I suspect that while the G81's MSRP will be similar to the E61 M5's, it'll be somewhat more popular due to AWD and perhaps a more friendly (if less exciting, subjectively) engine. If, so they'll be pumping them out of assembly a bit more often.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #822
xlover
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
1347
Rep
1,759
Posts

Drives: 2021 M340 xdrive w/MPE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I missed that, but that's one prediction that I would have treated with skepticism.
I put significant stock in it because it came along with the technical detail behind why the US market version is a tough sell
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #823
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6837
Rep
19,202
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I put significant stock in it because it came along with the technical detail behind why the US market version is a tough sell
He drops some useful info. Good guy for sure. If you're reading lemetier, thanks for your contribs.

But ynguldyn is the one to listen to when it comes to production vehicle info. A G81 is different from a CS or CSL or what have you. Sure, it's not going to be huge volume. But it's just not the type of vehicle you market as a "special" deal. Same reason you don't see these come in the final year or whatever (I was actually surprised it's trailing the LCI by even a few months - but I forgot to consider the fact that the G21 goes longer than the G20 which helps justify that). I mean if you go through the effort to create stampings for the fenders, rework all sorts of stuff (see the F81 conversions for how much needs to change), it doesn't make sense to only produce it for a short time.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #824
xlover
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
1347
Rep
1,759
Posts

Drives: 2021 M340 xdrive w/MPE
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
He drops some useful info. Good guy for sure. If you're reading lemetier, thanks for your contribs.

But ynguldyn is the one to listen to when it comes to production vehicle info. A G81 is different from a CS or CSL or what have you. Sure, it's not going to be huge volume. But it's just not the type of vehicle you market as a "special" deal. Same reason you don't see these come in the final year or whatever (I was actually surprised it's trailing the LCI by even a few months - but I forgot to consider the fact that the G21 goes longer than the G20 which helps justify that). I mean if you go through the effort to create stampings for the fenders, rework all sorts of stuff (see the F81 conversions for how much needs to change), it doesn't make sense to only produce it for a short time.
For sure..... I follow both closely when they post

I saw it as,
-at initial tease: plan was quick 1000 units for a marketing burst more for the press than satisfying consumer demand (the g81 actually went under @ynguldyn radar until after leaked)
-3 months later: legitimate demand higher than expected, expand to series production
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #825
ynguldyn
Colonel
4209
Rep
2,788
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
the g81 actually went under @ynguldyn radar until after leaked
Now that we know the SOP, I have an explanation of that: it was leaked _very_ early in its development cycle. If that hadn't happened, I would have broken the news some time in the second half of 2020, more than 2 years before SOP - which is pretty much on par with everything else I report here.

I suspect BMW was actually testing the waters at a point where the project didn't yet have a lot sunk costs and would've been easy to cancel. So yeah, the could have thought about a limited run at first but then the enthusiastic reception convinced them to make it into more than just a small experiment.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
future bmw, release date, upcoming bmw

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST