BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Actually, that was the truth. Verizon's CEO said it himself when the original iPhone came out. Saying Apple's demands were too unreasonable( revenue sharing on the plans instead of subsidizing, don't mess with the OS and no branding, and the Visual Voice Mail feature requiring a total redo of their servers) when Apple approached them back in 2004.
The reason I do not believe it, was that this statement he made was done after they saw what was happening with AT&T and the iphone. It was Verizon trying to save face, and trying to say AT&T will loose money on the deal, which never happen, they both made money and now the investment community is asking Verizon what they are gong to do. They even attempted to say the BB Storm would over shadow anything that the Iphone has done. The dropping rumors that Apple will be with them. So why didn't they get a deal with Palm PRe, same reason, palm will not agree to all their limitation on the product. Verizon was the last to get the Palm trio, because Palm already had a track record of allowing people to install things on their products without out having to pay a third party the privilege to access the phone.

Personally, I think the Palm Pre is the only phone out there that has the hope to compete with the iphone and everything Apple is doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #24
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Verizon and AT&T are already gearing up their transition for LTE as of this moment. They are currently building the infrastructure right now. I believe some testing is being performed in Boston. As soon as Verizon goes fully LTE (sooner than expected, likely in only a few years time), you will see the iphone go to that carrier. The only reason why Apple did not go with Verizon was because of the different technologies (CDMA vs. GSM). Also, you have to remember that the CDMA EV-DO signal can't do voice and data transfers at the same time (while GSM/UMTS you can).

To also add to the whole 4G thing, Spring already has some 4G services in place in only certain areas. However, they are using WiMax, not LTE.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
The reason I do not believe it, was that this statement he made was done after they saw what was happening with AT&T and the iphone. It was Verizon trying to save face, and trying to say AT&T will loose money on the deal, which never happen, they both made money and now the investment community is asking Verizon what they are gong to do. They even attempted to say the BB Storm would over shadow anything that the Iphone has done. The dropping rumors that Apple will be with them. So why didn't they get a deal with Palm PRe, same reason, palm will not agree to all their limitation on the product. Verizon was the last to get the Palm trio, because Palm already had a track record of allowing people to install things on their products without out having to pay a third party the privilege to access the phone.

Personally, I think the Palm Pre is the only phone out there that has the hope to compete with the iphone and everything Apple is doing.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...tm?POE=TECISVA

January 29, 2007. A bit before the huge sales success don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #26
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

i had verizon and switched to atnt for the iphone...

verizon has the shittiest phones ive ever seen in my life,

not only that but they were pretty expensive a month 125 bucks without ANY DATA plans, except texting.

I dont know i just hated their phones..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #27
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...tm?POE=TECISVA

January 29, 2007. A bit before the huge sales success don't you think?
But after the cat was already out of the bag and the entire market was predicting big things with the iphone. Notice in the same article Verizon profits were down the prior quarter. It was all damage control on Verizons part and I like how they sighted two things which was a big deal. The distribution channel, and Service and repair.

Let see selling at Wal-mark was a deal breaker, let look at that one.. Yes Apple finally started offering the phone at wal-mark because wal-mart hounded them, and they have the lowest sell of any Iphone outlet, why because people who by apple do not shop at wal-mart, it not part of apple's demographics. Apple know who their customer are and how they want to be serviced which leads to the next deal breaker point. Verizon does not make the phones so they have no clue what could be wrong with them. Most time they swap them out or convince you to buy a new one, gee that is good customer service.

What Verizon was really meant by Mutually Beneficial is they make all the decisions and all the profits, and Apple gets what is left over. Trust me Verizon has no interest in having a Mutually Beneficial business relationship, unless they get their way 100% you do not. Apple is the same way, but they understand how to create a win win win, in the case of Verizon, Supplier loose, Verizon wins, customer loose.

The reason Verizon knew this was going to be bad for them, was between the Apple announcement in the beginning of Jan to this public statement by Verizon they had gotten lots of calls buy their customers asking when they were going to get the iphone.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-12-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

if apple made a cdma-phone, then that would also make it eligible to sell in japan and korea - so it wouldn't be like they were developing it JUST for Verizon US customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #29
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet335i View Post
if apple made a cdma-phone, then that would also make it eligible to sell in japan and korea - so it wouldn't be like they were developing it JUST for Verizon US customers.
The iPhone is already in Japan......
Appreciate 0