BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
al4m
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i - sgm

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
verizon iphone??

so with apple's exclusive contract with at&t ending in mid 2010, there are plenty of rumors of apple possibly signing a contract w/ verizon. apparently it is likely to double their sales.
who thinks think apple will stay with at&t after the contract or will sign with verizon to?
and if you have verizon, will you want to switch over w/e phone you currently have?

i personally would like the iphone to come out to verizon. my current phone, the BB curve, is definitely no match.
      06-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

apple needs to move their ass to TMobile. verizon doesnt have a single phone worth buying. i know a lot of people and i can not say i no 1 person that has verizon. On the other hand TMO has an incredible network and customer service. i say it would be a bad choice to move to verizon.
      06-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

If the iPhone costs what it does with AT&T now, it's going to be a hell of a lot more with Verizon. Probably be the same as a monthly payment for a Kia, lol.

I have Verizon since my freshman year in college and I love the reception. I might or might not, depends on how the pricing is. I had 2 BB's with Verizon, but got rid of them when I wasn't getting reimbursed for the data plan anymore.

Now I just have an LG Dare..$40 a month plan with $15 data plan, works for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post
apple needs to move their ass to TMobile. verizon doesnt have a single phone worth buying. i know a lot of people and i can not say i no 1 person that has verizon. On the other hand TMO has an incredible network and customer service. i say it would be a bad choice to move to verizon.
I doubt that they will make the move. The Sidekick is the bread and butter for T Mobile.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

they have the g1
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
I doubt that they will make the move. The Sidekick is the bread and butter for T Mobile.
ya but imagine attracting the entire apple buttpirate group. forget about the sidekick with the fan base that apple has.
      06-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
T-Mobile's coverage is GARBAGE. They piggyback on Cingulair, which is now ATT and they had less coverage. I agree the Verizon doesn't have anything comparable to the iPhone. Besides, when it comes to the number of subscribers, Verizon is number one. T-Mobile's market share is not even close. They are cheap though, but what's the point of a phone when you can't get reception.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

Depends on if Verizon is willing to compromise when it comes to Vcast. When Apple was in talks with networks to release the first iPhone, they went to Verizon first. Verizon declined, because Apple wasn't willing to let the OS be plastered with Verizon logos and have Vcast instead of the App Store. If Verizon is willing to let Apple do things their way on their network, then I'm sure a deal can be negotiated when AT&T's contract is up.
      06-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
make note...this was the first iphone release without ANY at&t logos present in advertising materials

if you ask me...apple is out there shopping for deals, and rightfully so. The only part of the new iphone rollout that was booed by the audience, was when they said 1) no MMS until late summer..thanks ATT, and 2) no tethering until later...thanks ATT

they dont want their pricing to become prohibitive to purchasing the phone, and so they have to be able to pressure ATT into more favorable terms, or spread to multiple providers in 2010 when the 4G shared network goes up (yes...all the providers are working on a 4G network that will eliminate the need for multiple phone models to operate on dif providers...will save everyone $$)
      06-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #10
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
make note...this was the first iphone release without ANY at&t logos present in advertising materials

if you ask me...apple is out there shopping for deals, and rightfully so. The only part of the new iphone rollout that was booed by the audience, was when they said 1) no MMS until late summer..thanks ATT, and 2) no tethering until later...thanks ATT

they dont want their pricing to become prohibitive to purchasing the phone, and so they have to be able to pressure ATT into more favorable terms, or spread to multiple providers in 2010 when the 4G shared network goes up (yes...all the providers are working on a 4G network that will eliminate the need for multiple phone models to operate on dif providers...will save everyone $$)
hasnt sprint already made the switch to 4g?
      06-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Wasn't Apple originally going to sell the iPhone on Verizon, but Verizon backed out because the contract was too restrictive?

Also, I don't think they would change carriers because it would sort of seem like shooting everyone in the foot who bought the phone with a plan on AT&T. Lovely, i've got an iPhone and now I have to go register on a different network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
If the iPhone costs what it does with AT&T now, it's going to be a hell of a lot more with Verizon. Probably be the same as a monthly payment for a Kia, lol.

I have Verizon since my freshman year in college and I love the reception. I might or might not, depends on how the pricing is. I had 2 BB's with Verizon, but got rid of them when I wasn't getting reimbursed for the data plan anymore.

Now I just have an LG Dare..$40 a month plan with $15 data plan, works for me.
How were you getting them to reimburse you for the Data plan?
      06-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
1) Sprint does currently offer a 4G network...however, the LTE protocol which is capable of speeds up to 20mbps is NOT yet offered by any carrier as it is still in the process of being fully set up by all major carriers (and it is a shared network protocol....so no need for dif phone sets for dif carriers)
2) Apple would not "switch" carriers, but rather, just no longer be exclusive to AT&T, so if you were an AT&T customer, you wouldnt get shot in the foot for joining, it would just open up the iphone to other networks (and if this happens during 4G...it will most likely be an identical phone w/no model differences b/w carriers b/c LTE as described above..has some nice advantages)
      06-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha...Are you serious?
t mobile reception is THE shittiest ever in the history.
I've used tmobile/sprint/att/verizon and tmobile has some SERIOUS reception issue whenever you are in the building and I'm in metro area.

As far as the reception goes, it's verizon-att-sprint-tmobile.

I'm sure 30~50% iphones would be unlocked if apple moves to tmobile.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep View Post
Wasn't Apple originally going to sell the iPhone on Verizon, but Verizon backed out because the contract was too restrictive?

Also, I don't think they would change carriers because it would sort of seem like shooting everyone in the foot who bought the phone with a plan on AT&T. Lovely, i've got an iPhone and now I have to go register on a different network.

How were you getting them to reimburse you for the Data plan?
I was getting reimbursed through a friend. Well he was actually paying my whole phone bill. I got the BB's because of the push email feature in which I helped him answer emails to his customers. When he no longer needed my service, I wasn't going to keep paying the $45/month data plan just for leisure browsing every now and then.

And yes, I also read that Verizon was the first choice, but they passed up to AT&T.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Haha...Are you serious?
I've used tmobile/sprint/att/verizon and tmobile has some SERIOUS reception issue whenever you are in the building and I'm in metro area.

My friend who had T-Mobile had something like this in his voicemail..."I can't get to the phone because I probably don't have reception at the moment, T Mobile sucks!"
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

You probably won't see a Verizon iPhone until LTE is up and running as I doubt Apple will make a CDMA phone just for Verizon. With AT&T and Verizon doing LTE, it will be easier to do a Verizon iPhone.

And as mentioned, if Verizon will let Apple do what it wants with the iPhone and not load their crap into the OS just provide the cell service.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
From what I understand the iphone won't make its transition to Verizon until they have completely gone over to 4G. Supposedly talks are on-going.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

they better go to Verizon the only reason why i don't have a iphone right now is because the crappy network there with lol. Like i said before apple really saved at&t's ass they had nothing going for them besides a shit load of drop calls, if apple were go with Verizon I'd give at&t a few months before they merge with some other network like t mobile or something.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #19
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.l.e.x. View Post
so with apple's exclusive contract with at&t ending in mid 2010, there are plenty of rumors of apple possibly signing a contract w/ verizon. apparently it is likely to double their sales.
who thinks think apple will stay with at&t after the contract or will sign with verizon to?
and if you have verizon, will you want to switch over w/e phone you currently have?

i personally would like the iphone to come out to verizon. my current phone, the BB curve, is definitely no match.
I have an iPhone, and have had 4 BB. IPhone can't touch BB in any area except the web browser.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post
Depends on if Verizon is willing to compromise when it comes to Vcast. When Apple was in talks with networks to release the first iPhone, they went to Verizon first. Verizon declined, because Apple wasn't willing to let the OS be plastered with Verizon logos and have Vcast instead of the App Store. If Verizon is willing to let Apple do things their way on their network, then I'm sure a deal can be negotiated when AT&T's contract is up.
Yeap, it has nothing to do with what apple can or can not do. The problem is that Verizon and Apple have fundamental different business models. Apple make money selling hardware and software and services that extend the use of their products. They also do not allow anyone to provide creative inputs into their products.

On the other hand, Verizon wants to make money on everything, they want to charge you for each and everything you do on their network and phones. They want to tell cell phone companies how to make the phone and what feature are allowed and which one that Verizon will enable. Until Verizon can see past charging customers for everything and only charge for Phone and data services you will never see Apple do business with Verizon.

Verizon are huge control freaks about the phone. AT&T was a little like this too and Cingular was less so and T Mobile could really care less. Everyone keep saying the Apple went to Verizon first, I do not think that was the case, I think they went to the all at the same time and decided who they could work with best. The deal was actually with Cingular, it just happen that AT&T bought Cingular in the middle of the deal and AT&T went with it since Cingular hashed it out with Apple and had the technology to support what Apple wanted to do.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-10-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #21
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Verizon are huge control freaks about the phone. AT&T was a little like this too and Cingular was less so and T Mobile could really care less. Everyone keep saying the Apple went to Verizon first, I do not think that was the case, I think they went to the all at the same time and decided who they could work with best. The deal was actually with Cingular, it just happen that AT&T bought Cingular in the middle of the deal and AT&T went with it since Cingular hashed it out with Apple and had the technology to support what Apple wanted to do.
Actually, that was the truth. Verizon's CEO said it himself when the original iPhone came out. Saying Apple's demands were too unreasonable( revenue sharing on the plans instead of subsidizing, don't mess with the OS and no branding, and the Visual Voice Mail feature requiring a total redo of their servers) when Apple approached them back in 2004.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #22
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Haha...Are you serious?

All GSM services have problems penetrating hard surfaces and especially building with lots of steel in them. CDMA operates at a lower Frequency than GSM and it does better with the above problem. Watch what happens with LTE, it will probably have the same issue as GSM maybe worse since it will operate at even higher frequencies and will be even more directional and attenuated as it hits surfaces.

Right now CDMA has the advantage of being more like a TV signal than a Microwave signal that GSM is closer too.
Appreciate 0