BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Air France

Is anyone else concerned that a very modern, fly by wire, double aisle jetliner seemingly fell out of the sky over the ocean after encountering routine weather and turbulence?

We all know that air is the safest way to travel. But I really hope they find the black box and data recorder so steps can be taken to prevent this tragedy again.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor

Last edited by DenverJayhawk; 06-08-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

yea lets pray for these families....sounds like something went bad that wasnt supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

it wasn't the weather, they reported electrical issues before entering the storm.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

As with most circumstances with airflights that go down, it is likely a combination of events that were not likely to be seen in any testing (let alone system design) scenario. They will find what were those series of events and implement a combination of technology and procedural changes to account for it.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdrivin1 View Post
it wasn't the weather, they reported electrical issues before entering the storm.
A lightning strike could have shorted out the electronics.....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

http://m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268494

from my background where studying aviation accidents was part of the curriculum, this is a very puzzling accident. what is clear is the plane did suffer a mid-air breakup, but there are several things that could have led to that. weather, electrical, the pitot tubes, pilot error, or possibly a combination of several things. the black boxes will be need to be found to come up with an explanation, but i'm having severe doubts that they will be found at this point just due to their difficult geographic location on the sea floor.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep

A jet like the A330 is absolutely state of the art. Everything is double and triple redundant, especially the flight control systems. It's scary to think an electrical gremiln can bring down a fully modern jet, even in bad weather.

Thank god airliners don't have HPFP problems.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
A lightning strike could have shorted out the electronics.....
highly unlikely
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Could it have been an external attack?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep

Lightning strikes occur ALL the time. It NEVER brings down a jet, especially one cruising at 35k feet.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Could it have been an external attack?
that's unlikely either. with a full load of fuel, the plane would have exploded catastrophically, preventing automatic trouble reports from going out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i have a fear of flying and a couple months ago i flew out to kansas to see my gf but only after watching the fear of flying video online. One portion of the video explained how sturdy the plane was and how the wing couldnt just snap etc... and now after hearing that this plane broke apart midflight makes me pretty damn nervous again..esp with it happening to a modern jet. it took me so long to take a step forward in flying and it took reading about this crash to take a big step backwards. sucks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
i have a fear of flying and a couple months ago i flew out to kansas to see my gf but only after watching the fear of flying video online. One portion of the video explained how sturdy the plane was and how the wing couldnt just snap etc... and now after hearing that this plane broke apart midflight makes me pretty damn nervous again..esp with it happening to a modern jet. it took me so long to take a step forward in flying and it took reading about this crash to take a big step backwards. sucks

you tell me if that's strong enough or not. although that is not an A330, i wouldn't be surprised if you saw similar results out of the A330. an A330 is the airbus equivalent of the 772/767, although the french made the A330. case in point, airplanes are very strong and capable of great loads. a 777 being able to carry 154% of it's designed maximum load is a staggering number.

Last edited by Blake; 06-08-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post

you tell me if that's strong enough or not. although that is not an A330, i wouldn't be surprised if you saw similar results out of the A330. an A330 is the airbus equivalent of the 772/767, although the french made the A330. case in point, airplanes are very strong and capable of great loads. a 777 being able to carry 154% of it's designed maximum load is a staggering number.
i need information like this to prepare myself mentally before getting on a plane. But once I hear news of a plane crash I go back to square one. It really sucks b/c my fear of flying has prevented me from traveling to places I have always wanted to go ie.. hawaii, new york, europe, asia, etc.. Well ok money would be a big factor to but still.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

in one of the reports I read they said the plane suffered from a massive depressurization....so something would have had to comprimise the integrity of the fuselage...which would have led to a mid-air breakup which most suspect. Are they for certain the plane broke up in mid-air?
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
in one of the reports I read they said the plane suffered from a massive depressurization....so something would have had to comprimise the integrity of the fuselage...which would have led to a mid-air breakup which most suspect. Are they for certain the plane broke up in mid-air?
probably you have to do an autospy for the bodies found....see if they died due to lack of oxygen or just plainly drown when the airplane hits the water.....
not 100% conclusive...but it will give you some sort of idea.....
      06-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

gahh.....this is just so terrible....i can't even imagine the pain the families are going through.....

not only do they not know what happened to their loved ones, but the reality of it is it's something horrible...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #18
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
based on the fact the debris fields are up to 50+ miles apart, the plane more than likely broke up in mid-air. if the plane hit the water intact, all the debris would be within maybe a few miles at the most. the oceanic currents don't deviate enough to drag things 50 miles apart.

one theory involves the questionable pitot tubes and their susceptibility to icing in high altitude storms. (a pitot tube measures ram air pressure which is then interpreted to airspeed) when your pitot tube ices over, you lose accurate airspeed indications, if you even get a reading at all. it is plausible that the pitot iced over and the pilots sped up to counteract the erroneous readings. overspeed at high altitude can be a critical situation which could lead to breakup, exacerbated by turbulence inside a storm.

at this point, the only thing we can do is guess. there are dozens of scenarios that are being played out, but no one will ever know without getting the onboard data.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
based on the fact the debris fields are up to 50+ miles apart, the plane more than likely broke up in mid-air. if the plane hit the water intact, all the debris would be within maybe a few miles at the most. the oceanic currents don't deviate enough to drag things 50 miles apart.

one theory involves the questionable pitot tubes and their susceptibility to icing in high altitude storms. (a pitot tube measures ram air pressure which is then interpreted to airspeed) when your pitot tube ices over, you lose accurate airspeed indications, if you even get a reading at all. it is plausible that the pitot iced over and the pilots sped up to counteract the erroneous readings. overspeed at high altitude can be a critical situation which could lead to breakup, exacerbated by turbulence inside a storm.

at this point, the only thing we can do is guess. there are dozens of scenarios that are being played out, but no one will ever know without getting the onboard data.
but what i'm worried is....if it is really that the pitot tube was iced over.....then the black boxes (FDR) will also have incorrent readings....it will only prove the airspeed reading is incorrect...but cannot prove anything otherwise....

or they can prove if the plane stalled or overspeed-stall (not sure the correct term)....something that cause the air flow to detach from the wing.....
      06-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
i need information like this to prepare myself mentally before getting on a plane. But once I hear news of a plane crash I go back to square one. It really sucks b/c my fear of flying has prevented me from traveling to places I have always wanted to go ie.. hawaii, new york, europe, asia, etc.. Well ok money would be a big factor to but still.
there are still 50,000-70,000 commercial flights everyday. 99.999999%+ of those flights land without incident. most incidents that happen in aviation are things you never hear about, like runway incursions or a plane hitting something on the ground. the greater majority of reported accidents or mechanical failures happen on the ground versus in the air.

conversely, a person dies from a motor vehicle related accident every 13 minutes, 24/7, 365 days a year. kinda makes you want an airplane now, doesn't it?

the biggest reason people fear flying is because of the accidents and the associated anxiety of "it's going to happen to me!" but you have greater odds of getting hit by lightening TWICE than dying in an aircraft accident. flying is totally safe, but having said that, accidents do happen in any facet of life. yes, more people can die at once in plane accidents than cars, but the numbers are measly compared to, say, cars.

Last edited by Blake; 06-08-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
but what i'm worried is....if it is really that the pitot tube was iced over.....then the black boxes (FDR) will also have incorrent readings....it will only prove the airspeed reading is incorrect...but cannot prove anything otherwise....

or they can prove if the plane stalled or overspeed-stall (not sure the correct term)....something that cause the air flow to detach from the wing.....
but then you would see that in the FDR. FDR will show throttle positions against airspeed indications. if they oversped, you'll see WOT with low airspeed indications, provided the pitot was frozen...we all know those engines are too powerful to be stalling at WOT. conversely, if they stalled, that would not cause the plane to breakup necessarily. an unrecoverable flat spin to structural terminal velocity would cause a breakup, but i just don't think we're dealing with a stall in this case.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #22
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
the biggest reason people fear flying is because of the accidents and the associated anxiety of "it's going to happen to me!" but you have greater odds of getting hit by lightening TWICE than dying in an aircraft accident. flying is totally safe, but having said that, accidents do happen in any facet of life. yes, more people can die at once in plane accidents than cars, but the numbers are measly compared to, say, cars.
that's why pay attention to safety video and listen to the flight crew if anything should happen....they might actually save ur ass....
example....Air France A340 that skid off runway in Toronto....