BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Lets Differentiate LED, Plasma, Laser, & LCD HDTV

so whats up with all these different differentiations? what is the more in depth info that general consumers are not seeing from the 1080p and refresh rate?

in general plasma is better for gaming and lcd for blu-ray?
      06-06-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

google is your savior
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

For gaming i just used to look at diameter and reaction time in ms. As long as the colorz look like the colorz they are supposed to be i'm happy.

Way too many new technologies who promise life-altering changes but then that screen in the store looks exactly like the 20 screens next to it. Miliseconds ftw
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I bought an LCD

plasma has burn in issues.. (they so called fixed that)
      06-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
in general plasma is better for gaming and lcd for blu-ray?
no
      06-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I bought an LCD

You bought an LCD because you think that plasmas still have burn-in issues on any sort of meaningful scale?

If so, I feel for you man. Plasmas blow LCDs out of the water on virtually all accounts; The biggest exception being computer viewing, as this is what the LCD does best. Other than that, unless you have an incredibly bright room that provides a lot of glare during most of your TV watching, you failed your TV selection process if you bought an LCD because you thought that you would get a better picture, better colors, or a wider range of viewing angles.
      06-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
You bought an LCD because you think that plasmas still have burn-in issues on any sort of meaningful scale?

If so, I feel for you man. Plasmas blow LCDs out of the water on virtually all accounts; The biggest exception being computer viewing, as this is what the LCD does best. Other than that, unless you have an incredibly bright room that provides a lot of glare during most of your TV watching, you failed your TV selection process if you bought an LCD because you thought that you would get a better picture, better colors, or a wider range of viewing angles.
I also output my PC to it sometimes.
I had a plasma before. Had an issue with burn-ins. The "White out" function didnt work wonders.. and it was a hassle to always do it.
I'm very happy with my LCD.. it handles my computer better than the plasma did.

The problem I had was I'd get a call in the middle of a game, and then I'd just pause to answer it... that phone call wld take 30mins... and the screen gets a burn in.. then I'd have to white out the screen and blah blah blah.. it's a hassle

either way, I'm gonna try a projector next.

edit:
also now that you mention the light.. the plasma does give out a lot of glare.. hehe
I used to have to close my shades.. not anymore.. ah well
      06-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
fobunited
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2011 550i

Almost everywhere you look, one of the best TVs you can buy is the Pioneer Elite Kuro. They stopped production in April, so get them before they're gone! And it's a plasma.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
I bought an LCD

They only had burn in issues if your left the thing on CNBC or some channel that has the same image in the same spot ALL the time. I'd go with plasma over LCD any day.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Almost everywhere you look, one of the best TVs you can buy is the Pioneer Elite Kuro. They stopped production in April, so get them before they're gone! And it's a plasma.
That is pretty much what I have read. I bought a 60 inch SXRD (SXRD KDS-60A3000) Sony which is off the market now, too. The Kuro plasma was available back then, but it was 3 times the price with a little better performance.

I also have an 42 inch LCD that I use in my computer room. I would not want plasma for that situation.

Quote:
They only had burn in issues if your left the thing on CNBC or some channel that has the same image in the same spot ALL the time
This is an interesting subject because up until the past couple of years, I would have avoided Plasma because of burn in. Many channels have a logo, so that would still worry me. That being said, I would still take a Kuro.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Use an LG LCD 22" for split screen on my computer and 42" Panasonic Plasma for TV.
(purchased the panasonic since it has an anti-burn in feature, samsung still has burn in problems, just ask anyone at bestbuy, sears, or another tv store)
      06-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I use a 52" Plasma for my primary computer monitor at home. Burn-in IS a consideration, so I've got the screen saver set for 1 minute. Honestly, the plasma looks great, but if I had realized I was going to use it like I do when I bought it, I would have probably gone for an LCD. Playing games on a plasma does cause some burn in. It also seems like it tend to fade away after a period of time though.

Pic I took for another thread on the subject:

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
This is an interesting subject because up until the past couple of years, I would have avoided Plasma because of burn in. Many channels have a logo, so that would still worry me. That being said, I would still take a Kuro.
Like I said, its only a issue if you watch the SAME channel 24/7 365 days a year. Watching ESPN a few hours at a time, then switching the tv to a news channel for another couple hours won't burn in. It has to be the SAME object in the same spot ALL the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauer87 View Post
Like I said, its only a issue if you watch the SAME channel 24/7 365 days a year. Watching ESPN a few hours at a time, then switching the tv to a news channel for another couple hours won't burn in. It has to be the SAME object in the same spot ALL the time.
Today's plasmas have a pixel shift to prevent burn in. Most of them also have a screen wipe feature. My Hitachi plasma blows both of my LCDs away and one of them is an Aquos.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

I've been leaning towards the new LED based LCD's by Samsung. I currently have 50" a Vizio Plasma which has great picture, I have not had any problems.

Has anyone had first hand experience with the new LED 8000 series samsung? I have read countless reviews on all series of larger flat screen plasma and LCD tv's. Cnet has yet to review the new Samsung. Mainly I am purchasing the new TV because of a new home I purchased, but I will be using it for Blu-Ray, HD sports, and some PS3. I may do some Apple TV or mini mac music streaming on the as well.

Sorry to thread jack, just hoped some may have some first hand experience with some of the new stuff out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #16
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i literally just finished installing my brand new samsung LED tv today. it's a 6000 series, but the picture is very sharp and the refresh rate is unbelievable. i watched gran tourino on blu-ray and was blown away. looks twice as good as my sony 70"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I bought an LCD

It's a non issue with new plasma's from Panasonic or Pioneer. You do need to break in the screen for 100-200 hours with the brightness/contrast down a little, but after break in, you'd have to be an idiot to cause burn in. Now if you abuse it during break in... that's on you.

Quote:
I also output my PC to it sometimes.
I had a plasma before. Had an issue with burn-ins. The "White out" function didnt work wonders.. and it was a hassle to always do it.
I'm very happy with my LCD.. it handles my computer better than the plasma did.

The problem I had was I'd get a call in the middle of a game, and then I'd just pause to answer it... that phone call wld take 30mins... and the screen gets a burn in.. then I'd have to white out the screen and blah blah blah.. it's a hassle

either way, I'm gonna try a projector next.

edit:
also now that you mention the light.. the plasma does give out a lot of glare.. hehe
I used to have to close my shades.. not anymore.. ah well
See above.
Also, most newer LCD's use a glass front panel instead of the plastic they originally use because the glass gives better contrast. Guess what, they now have glare too.

For the OP, get a Pioneer 500M/600M while you can. It's Pioneer Elite glass, but has no speakers, stand or tuner. It's just a panel, and a DAMN GOOD panel at that. You can use the Elite speakers if you need speakers. ValueElectronics will give you a free stand and shipping on the 500M for $2k.
It's an awesome set.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #18
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

LCD HDTV & LED are good TV. if you havent seen youe samsung has and led tv that hella thin
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep

Here's mine (Panasonic plasma). Haven't moved in yet so there's nothing else in that room. I've got my priorities straight
You can see the bad glare potential on the screen from the shades in the back. Going to have to fix that with some curtains, b/c you can definitely see it while watching TV in the daytime.
Attached Images

06-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Obviously, it does not have to be on the same channel everyday all the time or they would not need the "wipe" feature. Most of us have PVRs nowadays, so it is not unusual to pause the screen on whatever channel people are watching. The question is how long before you see burn in?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #21
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
Obviously, it does not have to be on the same channel everyday all the time or they would not need the "wipe" feature. Most of us have PVRs nowadays, so it is not unusual to pause the screen on whatever channel people are watching. The question is how long before you see burn in?
More than likely, any new plasma that you buy will have some sort of burn-in reduction feature.

My Panasonic plasma has a pixel orbiter which I have set to activate once every minute that the TV is on. There are various other settings that can be applied. It shifts the pixels ever so slightly, and I cannot even notice it. Of course, this is not guaranteed 100% to prevent the problem, but it sure does help.
      06-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #22
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

how are the laser tvs from mitsubishi? also the led tvs have burn in as well?

http://www.plasmasaver.com/burnin.html