BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

09-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #45
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

This came up on my FB feed:

****If anyone in this group was in Yellowstone or Grand Teton National parks around Aug. 24-27, please take a look at your photos to see if you happen to have any photos of this missing woman, the vehicle she was in or her boyfriend. The FBI has set up a national hotline to receive tips, 1-800-CALLFBI (225-5324).

***** 9/15/21 UPDATE from North Port Police Department*****

The national search into the disappearance of Gabrielle Petito of North Port continues. Due to the parties in this case residing in North Port, Florida, the North Port Police Department will be the primary investigating agency, in partnership with the Federal Bureau of Investigations. We will also continue to work with the Suffolk County Police Department, and we are thankful for their assistance.

Several detectives are working around the clock to piece this complex and far-reaching situation together. Gabrielle’s vehicle was recovered here in North Port at her home on September 11th. A home shared with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie and his parents. That vehicle was fully processed for evidence along with FBI agents Tuesday evening. As of now, Brian has not made himself available to be interviewed by investigators or has provided any helpful details. We know Brian returned here to North Port on September 1st — ten days before her family reported her missing on September 11th. We have no information that a crime occurred here in North Port. Brian Laundrie is a person of interest in this case.

“As a father, I can imagine the pain and suffering Gabby’s family is going through. We are pleading with anyone, including Brian, to share information with us on her whereabouts in the past few weeks. The lack of information from Brian is hindering this investigation. The answers will eventually come out. We will help find Gabby and we will help find anyone who may be involved in her disappearance," says North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison.

The FBI has set up a national hotline to receive tips. 1-800-CALLFBI (225-5324). That is now our primary tip line. So far, we have received hundreds of tips which are being vetted through multiple agencies. If anyone has seen the van photographed and information which might be helpful, please let us know.

According to family, they were last in contact with Gabrielle during the last week of August. Prior to the last communication, Gabrielle is believed to have been in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Petito and Brian were traveling in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with Florida license plate QFTG03. Gabrielle, 22, is white, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads “let it be.”

The North Port Police Department continues to work with the media to spread the word. We have conducted interviews with all major television networks and roughly 60 media outlets in the past 48 hours.

The first place we will post all info will be on our social media platforms. @northportpd on Facebook and at @NorthPortPolice on Twitter. You may also want to follow Chief Garrison on Twitter @NPPDpoliceChief

***This is another update 9/13/21 from KSL TV in Salt Lake City, Utah

SALT LAKE CITY — Officials are looking for a missing 22-year-old woman who was last seen traveling through Utah and Wyoming with her boyfriend.

Nichole Schmidt said her daughter, 22-year-old Gabby Petito, left Blue Point, New York, on a cross-country trip with her boyfriend of two years on July 2.

"She wanted to cross the country in the camper van and live the van life and live free. This was her dream," Schmidt said.

Petito's parents said the couple documented every step of the way, spending time in Colorado and southern Utah.

"If you look at her Instagram page, you can actually find a lot of evidence of where they were these past few months," said Schmidt.

But toward the end of August, the posts started slowing down.

Petito's father, who lives in Florida, said the couple was in Salt Lake City on Aug. 21. He knows because he placed an Uber Eats order for them.

"There was a power outage. She said she didn't have WiFi, so I ordered her some food," Joseph Petito said. "I know it was in Salt Lake City. It was the last time I spoke to her."

He said the couple didn't have friends in Salt Lake City but wanted to spend time in the area.

Gabby Petito's parents said the couple left Salt Lake City for Grand Teton National Park around Aug. 24, where they believe the couple spent no more than two days.

This was also around the last time Petito spoke with her mother over FaceTime.

"She seemed OK to me at the time, other than I don't know where the relationship was going with the boyfriend," said Schmidt of the couple possibly going through a rough patch.

Then the details get hazy as Petito's parents say they're not sure if she made it to her next destination.

"She was making her way up to Yellowstone," Schmidt said explaining that after Aug. 24 her communication with Petito grew sporadic and happened only via text.

"The last text I got from her was on Aug. 30. I don't know if that was her texting me or not," Schmidt said.

She seemed OK to me at the time, other than I don't know where the relationship was going with the boyfriend.

Then Petito stopped responding all together. Schmidt said she initially figured the couple had lost internet reception but late last week, her mother knew something was off.

Petito's parents said they started reaching out to their local law enforcement agencies in Florida and New York. On Saturday evening, Schmidt said a detective at the Suffolk County Police Department agreed to file a case.

In an email, the Suffolk County Police Department confirmed the van was located but did not specify where. In a press release, the van was described as a white 2012 Ford Transit van with Florida license plate QFTG03.

They also declined to provide information on Petito's boyfriend or his current whereabouts.

A department spokesperson also said the department does not comment on suspects or persons of interest adding, "We are not commenting on who has been spoken to in relation to this investigation."

Anyone with information is asked to call Suffolk County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS, or they can submit an online tip through P3tips.com.

Petito was described as approximately 5-foot-5, weighing 110 pounds. She has blonde hair, blue eyes and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads, "let it be."

Timeline of events

July 2: Gabby Petito leaves New York with her boyfriend of two years heading west. They spend time in Colorado and Southern Utah.

Aug. 12 – 24: Petito and her boyfriend are in Utah.

Aug. 21: Petito's father, Joseph Petito, orders Uber Eats for Gabby Petito. Meal is delivered to Salt Lake City. This is the last time Petito speaks with her father.

Aug. 24: Couple leaves SLC headed for Grand Teton National Park. Mother Nichole Schmidt said they spent one or two days in Wyoming.

Aug. 23 or 24: Petito's last FaceTime call with her mother. After this point, Schmidt says they "texted a lot."

Aug. 25: Schmidt says the couple's van is spotted at Grand Teton National Park.

Aug. 25: Last post on Petito's Instagram @Gabspetito.

Aug. 25-27: Schmidt says she doesn't know where Petito is. It is assumed the couple leaves Wyoming headed for Yellowstone National Park, but it is unclear if they made it.

Aug. 27: Petito's parents say her social media goes completely silent.

Aug. 30: Schmidt gets a text from Petito's number. She is not sure if it is coming from Petito. After this point, Schmidt says Petito stops replying to her text messages.

Sept. 11: Suffolk County Police Department officially opens an investigation.

This is an update Sunday evening from KSL Television in Salt Lake City, Utah

The Suffolk County Police Department in New York is confirming their search for Missing Gabby Petito. Police say Gabby went missing while traveling through Utah and Wyoming.

Detectives are asking anyone with information on Petito’s disappearance to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls can remain anonymous.

"Gabrielle Petito was traveling in a white, 2012 Ford Transit van with Florida license plate QFTG03 with a companion when she stopped communicating with friends and family.

Petito was reported missing to the Suffolk County Police Department by her family on September 11 at approximately 6:55 p.m. According to family, they were last in contact with her during the last week of August. Prior to the last communication, Petito is believed to have been in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

Petito, 22, of Blue Point, is described as a white female, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads “let it be.” The van she was traveling in has been recovered. "

Previous post

We have a report is a woman named Gabby missing who was last seen in the Yellowstone area. Please look at her picture if you were in Yellowstone around that time to see if you remember seeing her.

My daughter Gabby is missing!!! Please share!!!

Last known to be in Grand Teton Wyoming on 8/25/21 heading for Yellowstone.

Please any information will help!!

She’s 22 years old.

5’5” Blonde hair Blue eyes, triangle tattoo on left arm with flowers. Let it be tattoo written on her right arm. Belly button piercing.

Last known to be in a 2012 Ford White transit van traveling north.

Anyone with information should contact their local law enforcement officials. A Facebook page, Find Gabby, has been set up and additional information will be provided on that Facebook page.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #46
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Gabby sent her parents a text on 8/30 and they believe it wasn't her that sent it...authorities haven't released what the text message was.

That's the last time they heard from her and the boyfriend arrived back in FL on 9/1.

I really want to know what the text message said
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      09-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #47
2000cs
Captain
Rep

To update the drive back, if their last known place together was Yellowstone, that is about 2,400 miles from his home and 35-36 driving hours (plus gas stops, sleep, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #48
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Gabby sent her parents a text on 8/30 and they believe it wasn't her that sent it...authorities haven't released what the text message was.

That's the last time they heard from her and the boyfriend arrived back in FL on 9/1.

I really want to know what the text message said
they did. it was "No service in Yosemite."

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
Tyga113227.00
2000cs3450.00
      09-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #49
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
they did. it was "No service in Yosemite."
Wow - that was it?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #50
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow - that was it?
yep. which is why they dont think it was her. yosemite was way out of their way and they had never talked about going to yosemite on their trip

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #51
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow - that was it?
I just saw an interview with her mom from earlier to day where she said the text says “I’m not going to have service”.

That was the 30th and Brian arrived home on the 1st. While it is possible to make the drive in that time, it is unlikely given the need for sleep.

There should be some video of the van getting gas along the way, and the FBI should be able to locate the cell where that text was sent from (I’ll bet he sent it on the way back, then ditched the phone).
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #52
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yep. which is why they dont think it was her. yosemite was way out of their way and they had never talked about going to yosemite on their trip
Yeah - no chance it was her. The previous time they chatted was on 8/25. So that's 5 days and her only text is 'no service in Yosemite.'

Someone had access to her phone and it wasn't Laundrie.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #53
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They were last seen in Grand Teton (WY) heading toward Yellowstone (North). I think the Yosemite reports are mistakes (confusing Yellowstone with Yosemite). The interviewer I watched today did that.

Last edited by 2000cs; 09-17-2021 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Added link to interview
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #54
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I just saw an interview with her mom from earlier to day where she said the text says “I’m not going to have service”.

That was the 30th and Brian arrived home on the 1st. While it is possible to make the drive in that time, it is unlikely given the need for sleep.

There should be some video of the van getting gas along the way, and the FBI should be able to locate the cell where that text was sent from (I’ll bet he sent it on the way back, then ditched the phone).
It's not adding up to me. What was his end game? Just drive home, not tell anyone she's not with him, and go on with life?

Why wouldn't he just make up a story about losing her in the woods to cover his tracks?

I honestly think the publicity angle makes sense here. She's going to be found alive or something
Appreciate 1
2000cs3450.00
      09-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Gotta say, this has me hooked, I can't stop reading about it.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3450.00
Tyga113227.00
Tommy-G4467.00
      09-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #56
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
They were last seen in Grand Teton (WY) heading toward Yellowstone (North). I think the Yosemite reports are mistakes (confusing Yellowstone with Yosemite). The interviewer I watched today did that.

the "No service in Yosemite" is the text that the FBI released. Thats where Yosemite is coming from and why its unlikely it was from her. In the interview, the mom doesnt correct him when he says "no service in yosemite" and iirc yesterday her dad or stepdad mentioned that text as well.

Appreciate 1
2000cs3450.00
      09-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #57
2000cs
Captain
Rep

The Yellowstone/Yosemite thing is very interesting. I’ve heard people confuse the two parks my entire life.

If he was with her at Yosemite, that is too long a drive from the 30th to the 1st. If they parted and she took the phone and went west with someone else to Yosemite, why didn’t she contact her family until that last text (they had been in regular contact). The text might have been sent from Yellowstone with the sender (Gabby, Brian or ?) making the same mistake or an auto fill and not fixing it.

My bet still is Brian sent the text on his way home, then ditched the phone somewhere along the way.

It is going to be important to establish where that text was sent from.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #58
2000cs
Captain
Rep

More stuff from the FB page today:

♦️UPDATE 9-17-21 8:00 AM
“Van-lifer” Gabrielle Petito was supposed to meet a friend in Yellowstone on Aug. 30, but the 22-year-old missed the rendezvous and never called, the friend tells The Sun. On the friend’s birthday, Aug. 29, Petito failed to phone and make concrete plans. The friend said, “She was supposed to call on my birthday and we were going to figure it all out then because her trip wasn’t on schedule. The whole thing is odd. My birthday is the 29th. I don’t know why she’d send that text [to her mom] and not message me.” On Aug. 30, Petito’s mother received a text from Petito’s number about not having cell service in Yosemite, 800 miles away.

—Authorities say Brian Laundrie is invoking his 5th Amendment right to not speak. The U.S Constitution protects anyone who hasn't been indicted of a crime from being forced to speak with authorities.
As long as this remains a missing person case, Laundrie may never have to speak about the events that took place.

—Police have asked Gabby Petito's family not to discuss her relationship with boyfriend Brian Laundrie, according to multiple reports. An attorney for the family sent CBS News a statement saying: "Gabby's family was instructed by law enforcement to not discuss the details of Gabby and Brian's relationship."
It's not clear exactly when the request was made.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113227.00
      09-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #59
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
My version of (Marvel) What If...?

When they left for their trip, their plan was to stage an event (e.g., she gets lost) to get her likes up on insta (or, better yet, GoFundMe $$). On the road, he figures out that she's a basket case and decides to back out of their "plan." She decides that it is too late -- threatens to screw him over in some way. He bails on her - not wanting to be part of the shit show anymore. He returns home and decides to keep his mouth shut given that their original plan was to lie about her getting lost.

She goes forward with the getting lost plan -- she'll turn up in a few days once her GoFundMe account hits $100k+ -- currently at $50k:

GoFundMe Link
no way. I'll send you $20 if that turns out to be true.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:45 AM   #60
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Police are looking into the possibility that her disappearance is linked to the murder of two campers who were last seen at a restaurant where this couple was seen fighting. The same restaurant where one of the murdered campers worked.

I think its kind of funny how everyone is condemning the boyfriend immediately regardless of how he's acting.

This whole thing is super strange, cant wait to see how it plays out.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #61
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Police are looking into the possibility that her disappearance is linked to the murder of two campers who were last seen at a restaurant where this couple was seen fighting. The same restaurant where one of the murdered campers worked.

I think its kind of funny how everyone is condemning the boyfriend immediately regardless of how he's acting.

This whole thing is super strange, cant wait to see how it plays out.
Oh snap! This is a movie unfolding in front of us. Wild story.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      09-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #62
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
My bet is something happened that was an accident, and he freaked out and left. The other situations don't seem to add up. If he murdered her, I feel like he would make up a cover. If something happened to her like she committed suicide, was attacked by a bear, murdered by someone else, I feel like he would've at least reached out.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4467.00
      09-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #63
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

He's probably in his childhood bedroom, playing video games while his mom makes him grilled cheese with the crust cut off and thinking he's famous now.
      09-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #64
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My bet is something happened that was an accident, and he freaked out and left. The other situations don't seem to add up. If he murdered her, I feel like he would make up a cover. If something happened to her like she committed suicide, was attacked by a bear, murdered by someone else, I feel like he would've at least reached out.
But he drove home over 3k miles and couldn't come up with ANY cover story??? Like, it's just going to go away??

That's what I can't wrap my head around...
Appreciate 1
2000cs3450.00
      09-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #65
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

One wonders if he is smarter than he looks. Maybe something happened, he knew he would be suspect number 1, best to STFU and go home and lawyer up.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #66
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
ramman434710.00
F30lolz6798.50
Closed Thread