BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Leadership thoughts

I’ve been thinking about leadership in my career and more recently, but I didn’t want to get overtly political. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread and see where it goes. My thoughts on great leadership (to me everything else is just managing):

Build a vision that stretches the team and imagination, but is possible
Instill that vision in coworkers, staff, board and other constituencies
Demonstrate commitment to the vision and its goals, maintain focus.
Explain the importance and the “what’s in it for me” to all
Name key leaders to help execute the plans to achieve the vision

Measure success along the way and course correct to attain the vision
Use new teams and innovative thinking approaches
Stay the course in difficult challenges, altering tactics but not vision
Take stock along the way and reward effort and success, trim failure

Go be visible among the people executing, reinforcing commitment and vision
Organize celebrations for the whole team as key milestones are attained.

If you can’t embrace and communicate a vision, develop plans and lead execution, you’re not a leader. If you fail to take responsibility for errors and failures, you’re not a leader. If you claim all credit for good results, you’re not a leader.

Other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I'm just a squirrel tryin to get a nut
Appreciate 9
JJ 911SC22321.00
2000cs3495.00
wtwo317952.50
shoei7779.00
M_Six16825.00
Chapperss490.00
BMWGUYinCO4121.50
Torgus3781.50
      08-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Lead by example aka don't talk about it, be about it
      08-31-2021, 06:14 PM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

So when I first became a manager I thought you had to be a dick! I had a big Portuguese guy in my shop that did something dumb and I felt the need to charge at him and proceeded to kick a bucket at him while screaming across the shop.
He grabbed me and gave me a life lesson…”now listen, I know you think you need to flex your muscles and be a bad ass because I screwed up that car. Here’s the thing, that’s not how you do it. You need us, and you need us on your side. You should have pulled me into your office and explained the issues it caused, financially, in production, and customer satisfaction”
I said but would you really have been scared of me and afraid to not do that again? He proceeded to tell me he didn’t do it on purpose, he just screwed up. He then explained if you want to be successful you need to be a leader and not a ruler. Get your team on your side and let them know when they make you upset but ALWAYS treat them with respect.

That stuck with me from that day in 2002 until today. I have been called one of the best managers in my field because I stand by my guys and not behind them barking orders.
I would like to expand further but typing on an iPad screen gets tiring. ��
I have always loved that comic showing the difference between a leader and a ruler and try to follow that lesson every day.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615143.50
BMWGUYinCO4121.50
Wolf 3352340.50
omega2733136.50
      08-31-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

Advice I gave to every team member: if you make a mistake own it, fix it, and make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't make excuses and don't blame others. As the manager, I took the hit for everything that happened on my watch.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Know your men.
Promote their welfare.
Lead by example.
Have the courage of your convictions.

~Leadership 101.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3495.00
Steeler2427.50
      08-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #7
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Those were just my INITIAL thoughts…
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Have I posted my leadership by herding cats analogy yet?????
      08-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I'm just a squirrel tryin to get a nut
I hear even the blind ones find a nut every now and then.

To the OP, Integrity above all else. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Trust flows from integrity like water from a fountain. Contaminate that water and you're done as a leader.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
2000cs3495.00
antgenn319.00
      08-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

There's something that an ex girlfriends old man told me that kind of stuck with me over the years.

Carl was a Lt.Col in the marine corp. He actually was a leader of men. At that point when I was with his daughter, he was in charge of the pacific division. Whenever her family would come visit, he had this small laptop with really crazy antennaes all over it. I wasn't allowed to touch it, lol. Turns out, every morning, he'd get a detailed list of every marine who had been Mia, Kia, arrested, hospital, injured, etc.

Anywhos, one day we were talking about drill instructors and whatnot. He explained to me that he doesn't yell at his soldiers. Doesn't raise his voice. I kind of looked at him funny because that's not my impression of the military. He explained that the officers who do, the ones that constantly yell, you learn to tune it out after awhile. It just ends up going in one ear and out the other. Desensitized.

He has raised his voice a few times over his career but because he doesn't do it for every single incident, he says that the few times he's had to pop off, heads rolled and the situations never occurred again.

He was right. I was young, thought I knew better, probably wasn't the best manager. I took what he said and applied it. Spent more time with employees instead of being irritated somebody couldn't do the job as quickly or efficiently. Spent a little extra time molding and coaching. Honesty and integrity. I build for culture fit. I build with personalities that I think will gel nicely with the current culture or that can be a value add to current culture. Not something you could've convinced me when I was younger. Not only that, every scenario, business, audience is going to be slightly different. Know your audience.

But you yourself needs to be at a certain level of self understanding before you can even fathom being in a leadership role. If you aren't developed mentally and emotionally, having a conversation about what makes a good leader is moot.
Appreciate 4
2000cs3495.00
Tommy-G4479.50
King Rudi13154.00
      08-31-2021, 06:34 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

The military's FM 22-100 can be useful. Not a direct application to business leadership, but the core principles are there.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
shoei7779.00
      08-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Just read an article yesterday that leaders/managers are there to promote the well beings of their subordinates. If they do a good job at that everyone succeeds.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3495.00
      08-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #13
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Explain the importance and the “what’s in it for me” to all
Other thoughts?
Out of all of that, this was the only line aimed at the individual, the rest was about the company/corporation.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 07:54 PM   #14
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I think leading is about knowing your "audience"…

Not everyone on a team is motivated the same way. You gotta learn each person and what appeals to them.

So you can have an overarching theme or message for everyone, but you gotta get into details with each person or a group of similar people as much as possible.

One person might be financially motivated, another might just care about preventing stress, another could be high morality.

Good leadership is knowing how to speak to each person's feelings as best as possible with the hopes that with everyone combined you lead them to complete your goals.

It's like herding cats I'll admit. But when it works it's a damn fine thing to see.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615143.50
      08-31-2021, 08:04 PM   #15
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Don’t micromanage. Avoid that and you’ll lead a pack of wolves.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4479.50
      08-31-2021, 08:50 PM   #16
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Most of the recurring themes mentioned by the posters in this thread are all good practices, exercised by an effective leader. Integrity, knowing your audience, no excuses, mutual respect, are all habits of a leader and not just someone in a managerial position.

As someone who has been in and continue to serve in every enlisted leader position in the US Army, I can tell you from experience and pressure, leadership is dynamic, flexible and constantly evolving.

I never considered myself to be a 'leader" even after all these years,TBH. I've just had the privilege of serving along side of, providing support for and beint responsible for the health and well being, professional development, training and preparation, mentorship, punishment and rewarding of a growing number of today's finest warriors, since I put on my first set of stripes (chevrons) back in 2004.
      08-31-2021, 08:55 PM   #17
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
CEO = Chief Encouragement Officer

Set quantified goals and measure progress towards them

Be present, visible and approachable

Expect teamwork and communication - the opposite of silos, cliques, fiefdoms and withholding information

A leader should know what a good leader looks like, throughout history. Be sure you have a few mentors from decades and centuries of the past.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615143.50
      08-31-2021, 08:56 PM   #18
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Most of the recurring themes mentioned by the posters in this thread are all good practices, exercised by an effective leader. Integrity, knowing your audience, no excuses, mutual respect, are all habits of a leader and not just someone in a managerial position.

As someone who has been in and continue to serve in every enlisted leader position in the US Army, I can tell you from experience and pressure, leadership is dynamic, flexible and constantly evolving.

I never considered myself to be a 'leader" even after all these years,TBH. I've just had the privilege of serving along side of, providing support for and beint responsible for the health and well being, professional development, training and preparation, mentorship, punishment and rewarding of a growing number of today's finest warriors, since I put on my first set of stripes (chevrons) back in 2004.
Yep. There isn't a one size fits all. Your methods WILL vary. Like Samurai couldn't start running an Apple store and operate exactly as he did in the military.

How I operated in finance was wildly different than how I led in start up / tech.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2021, 09:09 PM   #19
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

Yep. There isn't a one size fits all. Your methods WILL vary. Like Samurai couldn't start running an Apple store and operate exactly as he did in the military.

How I operated in finance was wildly different than how I led in start up / tech.
Well said!

I would pulling out my hair (if I had any) trying to get apple store employees to either produce their shaving profile or start pushing the earth until I get tired, lol.

I could see their perturbed faces now...

"but, why...."

In my current work environment, all I have to do is walk in the room and the room temperature changes.

I would say "get off my lawn" but Sergeants Major has been saying"don't walk on my grass" since I was a young private.

Some things never change, I guess.
      08-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I like to take more of a Supreme Leadership style approach.

Probably for the better I only have to lead myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:14 PM   #21
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I like to take more of a Supreme Leadership style approach.

Probably for the better I only have to lead myself.
So like Kim Jong Un, you don't urinate or defecate?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:20 PM   #22
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
CEO = Chief Encouragement Officer

Set quantified goals and measure progress towards them

Be present, visible and approachable

Expect teamwork and communication - the opposite of silos, cliques, fiefdoms and withholding information

A leader should know what a good leader looks like, throughout history. Be sure you have a few mentors from decades and centuries of the past.
I wouldn't be where I'm at today without the fortunes of some strong and caring mentors.
Even the ones who were terrible "leaders", there's plenty to learn from them as well. Even if it's just learning from their mistakes.

It's also mind blowing how many people don't know what a CEO's role is vs say a COO.

You just have to accept you'll never make a decision that will be met with jubilation from everybody. Sure give everyone a fat raise and all the employees will be happy, but your board won't be, lol.

Present day is a prime example. You've seen the "Pzifer thread" and I apparently missed out on another thread lol. So do you think many "leaders" were prepped on GLOBAL PANDEMICS? Or vaxxed employees vs unvaxxed? Masks / no mask. Et all.

If you aren't already secure and confident in your ways, this isn't a pleasant time for all.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3495.00
chassis6507.50