BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #639
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Sounds like fun. His girlfriend might not like it, though. Unless she's into that sort of thing.
Well you never know, lol. Something tells me Rudi wouldn't be the type (unlike some other people) that would spend all day bragging about it. Then again, if it were to happen, I don't mind hearing about the adventure.

Just in case you weren't aware, this is an ongoing joke from another thread.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #640
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

King Rudi - that sucks! Sadly, also becoming more and more common. I hope they make it right though.

Last week was not a very good week - we are doing renos, a major part of which is adding a two car garage onto the house. Now the house is perfectly set up for it, they can easily follow the roof line to create this new garage, requires the architect to draw a nice little box with a triangle on top. Pretty fricking simple. Or so we thought.

They dug the footings and put in the wooden forms to pour, and me having no knowledge of construction, looked at the front footings compared to the rear, and thought the rear looks like what I would expect, but the front looks to be inset too much, but hard to tell. So I texted the GC my concerns and was sloughed off that they are "following the drawings". So fine, I replied and said the drawings clearly show the roof line matching up and being followed, as long as that happens, we are good.

Fast forward to the footings being poured, frame went up, and then they got to the trusses which they did by hand instead of premade. Lo and behold, my wife and I were right and it was not going to line up. Front wall was probably inset too far by about a foot. So the GC was going to try to make it look good, and we really have no significant issue with him, he's been good to work with, but ultimately, we didn't like the plan.

Now sadly, the trusses are already up, so they are going to have to be taken apart, but we want this fixed so it lines up. The bloody architect who misdrew the plans in the first place (because he just went off old blueprints instead of actually coming on site to measure) is the one I was really annoyed with and will now be fixing that little problem...at least he'll be redoing the plans for free.

I'm sure that my wife and I will wind up paying for the materials and labour somehow buried into the cost which is annoying, especially as we've made it clear to both the GC and the architect that we expect them to cover it...but ultimately how can we really stop them from padding a different area and getting it back? Pretty much impossible, so kind of resigned to getting it in the rear at the end.

But today was good because instead of delaying things, they'll be out the next time the weather is nice to continue (we figured they'd pull the plug with winter) so hopefully Wednesday of this week we'll see their little faces pulling trusses apart and building a solution.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
ramman434710.00
      10-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #641
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Well you never know, lol. Something tells me Rudi wouldn't be the type (unlike some other people) that would spend all day bragging about it. Then again, if it were to happen, I don't mind hearing about the adventure.

No, I'm not aware. Guess I don't keep up like a good poster should, lol. Fill me in if you like or post a link or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #642
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
King Rudi Just invite a few Cowboys cheerleaders (or team of choice) to your home and it'll be fine.
F*ck it, I'd rather fight today. It's shame I no longer have a sparing partner or am not currently enrolled in MMA classes. I need to break something.....and not the gf's hips.

Quote:
Sounds like fun. His girlfriend might not like it, though. Unless she's into that sort of thing.
With the way everything else is going, I'm sure she'd love it, as long as it doesn't involve me.

Quote:

I am well known for my stories. I heard Joe Rogan once explain that comedians pride themselves on being able to tell a story and describe things in comedic detail. This is how I perceive myself in 90% of the things I have shared (and deleted ) in the dating thread. I share stories for either comedic value or to teach people not to do things that I have done. As Cyn put it himself, we live similar lives, he can be himself....and I'll continue to modest and honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
King Rudi - that sucks! Sadly, also becoming more and more common. I hope they make it right though.

Last week was not a very good week - we are doing renos, a major part of which is adding a two car garage onto the house. Now the house is perfectly set up for it, they can easily follow the roof line to create this new garage, requires the architect to draw a nice little box with a triangle on top. Pretty fricking simple. Or so we thought.

They dug the footings and put in the wooden forms to pour, and me having no knowledge of construction, looked at the front footings compared to the rear, and thought the rear looks like what I would expect, but the front looks to be inset too much, but hard to tell. So I texted the GC my concerns and was sloughed off that they are "following the drawings". So fine, I replied and said the drawings clearly show the roof line matching up and being followed, as long as that happens, we are good.

Fast forward to the footings being poured, frame went up, and then they got to the trusses which they did by hand instead of premade. Lo and behold, my wife and I were right and it was not going to line up. Front wall was probably inset too far by about a foot. So the GC was going to try to make it look good, and we really have no significant issue with him, he's been good to work with, but ultimately, we didn't like the plan.

Now sadly, the trusses are already up, so they are going to have to be taken apart, but we want this fixed so it lines up. The bloody architect who misdrew the plans in the first place (because he just went off old blueprints instead of actually coming on site to measure) is the one I was really annoyed with and will now be fixing that little problem...at least he'll be redoing the plans for free.

I'm sure that my wife and I will wind up paying for the materials and labour somehow buried into the cost which is annoying, especially as we've made it clear to both the GC and the architect that we expect them to cover it...but ultimately how can we really stop them from padding a different area and getting it back? Pretty much impossible, so kind of resigned to getting it in the rear at the end.

But today was good because instead of delaying things, they'll be out the next time the weather is nice to continue (we figured they'd pull the plug with winter) so hopefully Wednesday of this week we'll see their little faces pulling trusses apart and building a solution.
Thank you Joe and you can not be more accurate. I'm ok with mistakes, mistakes and accidents happen. It's just odd that it has become more the case than the exception. How did we get here? Keep me posted on updates from the house. Curious as to how they plan to remedy this.

Last edited by King Rudi; 10-25-2021 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
Esteban42173.50
TiMSport12786.50
      10-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #643
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post

Thank you Joe and you can not be more accurate. I'm ok with mistakes, mistakes and accidents happen. It's just odd that it has become more the case than the exception. How did we get here? Keep me posted on updates from the house. Curious as to how they plan to remedy this.
Uploaded a quick sketch. Basically, the brown is the existing roof line that they were supposed to follow.

The black line is what they did do. Basically, they started measuring from the back of the roof (and lined it up perfectly so it matches the brown / original roof) but only up to a point about 1 foot or less off of the peak they should have gone up to. So they were going to then have a drop of about 8 inches from the original peak and bring the roof down on the same angle to try to blend it / make it look ok. Admittedly, we do have this style in other parts of the roof, but in each of those cases, the drop is several feet and looks obvious that it was planned. This...this just looks like they missed it (which is precisely what did in fact happen).

So the red is the proposed fix. Basically they are going to leave the back as is since it lines up with the original roof, create a triangle (red being bottom of triangle and then envision red sides that marries up with the brown sides perfectly, just didn't want to draw red over brown) and then try to reuse the existing front truss lumber to connect to the newly built triangle that follows the roof perfectly as well. They are probably going to have to throw a plate down on the floor joists to catch the new trusses that are coming down as well, because the front wall needs to be higher in order to catch the truss...which wouldn't have been an issue if the front wall had been moved out farther by a foot. But that's ok.

They'll have to create tails at the bottom by overlapping some 2x6's on the front truss or something to create the length for the overhang where the eavestrough will go, but that isn't load bearing so that's fine. I think in general, while the peak won't be exactly in the middle if you look at it on the side (which I don't care) the only thing that will alert someone to the fact there was an error, is that the soffit/eavestrough will be about three feet out from the house on the new garage, compared to about 2 feet out around the rest of the house. Whatever though - that's something I'm willing to live with.

But they'll have to rip apart the existing black line trusses to make it work...I don't imagine that's a big deal, I'm sure they can remove the nails easily enough. Otherwise, will need all new lumber.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #644
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
current projects being behind schedule and in no way will meet deadlines.
Blame it on COVID/ships stuck outside the harbor, like everyone else
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #645
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Uploaded a quick sketch. Basically, the brown is the existing roof line that they were supposed to follow.

The black line is what they did do. Basically, they started measuring from the back of the roof (and lined it up perfectly so it matches the brown / original roof) but only up to a point about 1 foot or less off of the peak they should have gone up to. So they were going to then have a drop of about 8 inches from the original peak and bring the roof down on the same angle to try to blend it / make it look ok. Admittedly, we do have this style in other parts of the roof, but in each of those cases, the drop is several feet and looks obvious that it was planned. This...this just looks like they missed it (which is precisely what did in fact happen).

So the red is the proposed fix. Basically they are going to leave the back as is since it lines up with the original roof, create a triangle (red being bottom of triangle and then envision red sides that marries up with the brown sides perfectly, just didn't want to draw red over brown) and then try to reuse the existing front truss lumber to connect to the newly built triangle that follows the roof perfectly as well. They are probably going to have to throw a plate down on the floor joists to catch the new trusses that are coming down as well, because the front wall needs to be higher in order to catch the truss...which wouldn't have been an issue if the front wall had been moved out farther by a foot. But that's ok.

They'll have to create tails at the bottom by overlapping some 2x6's on the front truss or something to create the length for the overhang where the eavestrough will go, but that isn't load bearing so that's fine. I think in general, while the peak won't be exactly in the middle if you look at it on the side (which I don't care) the only thing that will alert someone to the fact there was an error, is that the soffit/eavestrough will be about three feet out from the house on the new garage, compared to about 2 feet out around the rest of the house. Whatever though - that's something I'm willing to live with.

But they'll have to rip apart the existing black line trusses to make it work...I don't imagine that's a big deal, I'm sure they can remove the nails easily enough. Otherwise, will need all new lumber.
This is an interesting one. Though I'm not a GC, I have much knowledge based off what I do for a "living." Did the contractors frame the truss's on-site or where they bought from a truss shop? Most GC's I know order their truss's and have them delivered/installed. I may be wrong here as I am often, but foresee truss modification to lead to future problems.

Anyone else on here more knowledgeable than I am on this? How far along are they Joe? Do they have material on the truss's yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #646
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is an interesting one. Though I'm not a GC, I have much knowledge based off what I do for a "living." Did the contractors frame the truss's on-site or where they bought from a truss shop? Most GC's I know order their truss's and have them delivered/installed. I may be wrong here as I am often, but foresee truss modification to lead to future problems.

Anyone else on here more knowledgeable than I am on this? How far along are they Joe? Do they have material on the truss's yet?
No, they built the trusses by hand on site...purportedly so they could make adjustments as needed to follow said roof line. So the master framer should be able to build to spec once he gets the new drawings I figure. I'm not confident they'll be able to reuse the front since they are cut to size, but maybe. At the end of the day, it needs to be done as right as possible. Right would entail repouring a new footing of course, so I'll settle for "as right as possible" in this case.

No material on the trusses just yet, just framed. They will be putting two dormers in the roof too, but again, those aren't framed up yet either. Should be a relatively inexpensive fix in the grand scheme of things, I figure $3-4K. Still sucks that we have to eat it though, since I'm sure I will somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #647
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Blame it on COVID/ships stuck outside the harbor, like everyone else
This has been the issue and my game of choice since June. For smaller projects, this is not a concern. Projects such as building expansions and breakroom build-outs, that have to be completed by a specific date, to accommodate additional employees to work on a new production line, being installed as I type, is a major concern. I typically finish 3 zones/departments every QTR. June, July and August, we only started projects for 2 departments that were supposed to be completed by September. I am still working on those 2 areas. I should have got 6 areas done in the time that I haven't been able to complete 2. Material arriving on time is only one cog in this masterful cluster fuck. If I can get people to stop being sick, stop dying and want to work out their contractual obligation would be great. Seriously, I need people to stop dying and get back to work. My last remark is sadistic and somewhat meant as a joke, but not really. This is where we are at.

Last edited by King Rudi; 10-25-2021 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17871.00
      10-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #648
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, they built the trusses by hand on site...purportedly so they could make adjustments as needed to follow said roof line. So the master framer should be able to build to spec once he gets the new drawings I figure. I'm not confident they'll be able to reuse the front since they are cut to size, but maybe. At the end of the day, it needs to be done as right as possible. Right would entail repouring a new footing of course, so I'll settle for "as right as possible" in this case.

No material on the trusses just yet, just framed. They will be putting two dormers in the roof too, but again, those aren't framed up yet either. Should be a relatively inexpensive fix in the grand scheme of things, I figure $3-4K. Still sucks that we have to eat it though, since I'm sure I will somewhere.
Phew! Yeah, you should be good then, on modifications. Theoretically, to be done right, they'd need to scrap the truss's and start over. I'm no genius, but I do watch engineering catastrophe's enough to know a band-aid isn't ever the fix. Please keep me posted, I'm quite curious as to how they will rectify this. I can ssure you though, someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and state what really needs to happen.

TheWatchGuy - What say you on this topic? I know you have GC experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #649
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:

Fuck that. I'd dig my heels in and have them take it down and do it properly. You've been clear in what you expect, you've voiced your concerns at the correct time...the ball is firmly in their court.
Appreciate 3
Buug95916826.00
Bunnny219.50
      10-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #650
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

Because our plane finally landed. We circled out over the ocean for an hour, with no explanation. We felt like a cargo ship out at sea waiting to dock and be unloaded.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      10-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #651
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Car update: Both cars are finally home. Hers looks amazing, they even detailed hers. Mine....I'm just glad to have it back. Lots of work to do over the coming week to get it back to what it was. I forgot just how much small custom work I've done. I'm going to need to buy another roll of vinyl.

Also, I have to say it makes me smile that my attention to detail and craftsmanship is better than a body shop that has the proper tools to do what I've done to my car. I smoked my tail lights over a year ago. One of them was damaged in the accident. the body shop attempted to do what I did and failed miserably. Drips in clear, fish eyes, etc. I'll make that shit look factory again though.

Before I get flamed for having smoked tails, they are not blacked out, they are smoked. They went from fire engine red to candy apple just reduce the amount of "BAM! IN YOUR FACE RED" to subtle.

To keep things going, today is good because well, the cars are home......and I changed my contacts this morning. I can see and my eyes don't look like Snoop Dogg's this morning. Small victories.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42173.50
      10-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #652
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Car update: Both cars are finally home. Hers looks amazing, they even detailed hers. Mine....I'm just glad to have it back. Lots of work to do over the coming week to get it back to what it was. I forgot just how much small custom work I've done. I'm going to need to buy another roll of vinyl.

Also, I have to say it makes me smile that my attention to detail and craftsmanship is better than a body shop that has the proper tools to do what I've done to my car. I smoked my tail lights over a year ago. One of them was damaged in the accident. the body shop attempted to do what I did and failed miserably. Drips in clear, fish eyes, etc. I'll make that shit look factory again though.

Before I get flamed for having smoked tails, they are not blacked out, they are smoked. They went from fire engine red to candy apple just reduce the amount of "BAM! IN YOUR FACE RED" to subtle.

To keep things going, today is good because well, the cars are home......and I changed my contacts this morning. I can see and my eyes don't look like Snoop Dogg's this morning. Small victories.
You've given me the impetus for detailing/tidying mine KR and I'll start with giving it a good hoover!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #653
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hope you can get it back to 'ship-shape.' No one gives a car more TLC than the owner of said car.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #654
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hope you can get it back to 'ship-shape.' No one gives a car more TLC than the owner of said car.
Thank you sir. All just a matter of time. Sadly, I don't have any free time.

I'm just bitching. It'll most likely be done and better than it was come Monday.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42173.50
      10-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #655
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I found the rat dead, so could soften the blow a little. Helped my son with the burial in the backyard

RIP Jet Ra-tah
      11-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #656
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I found the rat dead, so could soften the blow a little. Helped my son with the burial in the backyard

RIP Jet Ra-tah
Having pets is a good all around lesson for kids. When they pass, It hells them learn to deal with the passing of family and friends.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #657
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

...because I woke up to this view from our room. Good morning everyone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15560.00
TiMSport12786.50
M_Six16532.00
vreihen1614882.00
      11-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #658
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
after spending few nights at hospital, glad to be home.
kidney stones are assholes.
Appreciate 4
Esteban42173.50
M_Six16532.00
vreihen1614882.00
Dpc2u11503.00
      11-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #659
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
after spending few nights at hospital, glad to be home.
kidney stones are assholes.
Never actually talked to anyone who had them. Maybe tell us a little about your experience?

How it started, what you felt, how they passed (if they did).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #660
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
...because I woke up to this view from our room. Good morning everyone!
Maui?
Appreciate 0