BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #45
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
That is because everything in the northeast is on poles, However, all the utilities in my housing plan are underground too, but once they leave the plan they are back up on poles, and they is where you have the problem. Plus cables under ground are not immune to issues.

Cable systems are inherently unreliable and the cable company put in very little redundancy in their systems so it fill with single points of failure. DTV issues are stray space debris taking our more than one of their satellites and sun spots which may fry a Satellite or two. Everything at the Colorado Facility is redundant and highly reliable.
except for rain and wind lol
      08-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #46
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Been with DirectTV for several years now. In stormy conditions, it is annoying if the picture cuts out but it does not happen very often. For reference, I'm in Chicago so we do get some good rain and snow storms.

Pricing was better than what we were getting from Comcast. Comcast went further down the hole after their channel lineup/package change several years back. I had HD, then they took that away after the change-up.....and claimed my box was not HD capable as being the reason I no longer had HD channels...

Wrt pricing...yeah, they've gone up. Annoying... However, I only get HBO for GoT and Silicon Valley and.....I haven't paid for it for a few years. I've managed to get onto a 3mo free incentive each time and just cancel it afterwards.

I still have Comcast for internet, though. It cuts our randomly here and there. Very annoying but I don't currently have a better alternative specifically where I am. I think it is related to spikes/noise on the line.

It could be possible your older STB did not support the Digital only HD content when the did the switch over. Their older boxes were still analog HD. This was the joke for years. People back in the early 2000's went out and bought HD TV and thought they were seeing HD content just because of the TV, when in fact the Cable infrastructure did not fully support HD content till 2007. I remember for years people saying to me how great the TV looked on their HD TV and I was looking at their Cable box and knew it was just up scaling standard def to HD.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #47
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
except for rain and wind lol
That has nothing to do with equipment, it does not require you or a tech to fix anything storm moves on and everything is working again. This weekend we had nasty storms in PA and I only lost my DVT for about 10 minutes as the worse blew through. We got so much rain, we had flooding in the area and my DVT worked when I wanted to watch it.

I am not 100% sure but I think the further north you go the less issue DTV has with weather, because the dish is pointed lower on the horizon verse being straight up as you go south the Satellites sit in a geostationary orbit at the equator and the middle of the US.

Last edited by Maestro; 08-01-2016 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #48
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Talking

I'll just leave this here....

08-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #49
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
That has nothing to do with equipment, it does not require you or a tech to fix anything storm moves on and everything is working again. This weekend we had nasty storms in PA and I only lost my DVT for about 10 minutes as the worse blew through. We got so much rain, we had flooding in the area and my DVT worked when I wanted to watch it.

I am not 100% sure but I think the further north you go the less issue DTV has with weather, because the dish is pointed lower on the horizon verse being straight up as you go south the Satellites sit in a geostationary orbit at the equator and the middle of the US.
So it is really reliable except during storms or wind but this doesn't count because it comes back online by itself and it isn't the equipment's fault?
      08-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #50
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
It could be possible your older STB did not support the Digital only HD content when the did the switch over. Their older boxes were still analog HD. This was the joke for years. People back in the early 2000's went out and bought HD TV and thought they were seeing HD content just because of the TV, when in fact the Cable infrastructure did not fully support HD content till 2007. I remember for years people saying to me how great the TV looked on their HD TV and I was looking at their Cable box and knew it was just up scaling standard def to HD.
If I recall correctly, this was around 2010. From '06-'07, I only had the basic $15 analog package that afforded me no set top antenna/rabbit ears and History and Discovery channels. I think they 'fixed the glitch' w/ my connectivity...to my detriment.
      08-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #51
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
If I recall correctly, this was around 2010. From '06-'07, I only had the basic $15 analog package that afforded me no set top antenna/rabbit ears and History and Discovery channels. I think they 'fixed the glitch' w/ my connectivity...to my detriment.
Yep, for the most part they have done away with Analog since it uses more cable bandwidth than Digital. Today most of the systems are all digital so you need a box even for basic cable, you can no longer use the tuner in your TV. But they will rent you that box for $3 a month, for something that cost them $20.
Appreciate 0