BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Another Tumi guy here. Nothing buy good experiences with their products, and there's a lot to choose from. I replaced our ancient Victorinox set as they wore out, but those really held up really well, and packed great, but were very heavy and outdated since they were pretty old and had a lot of miles. I'm sure they are lighter and have better features now though.
2000cs3495.00
      10-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #24
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I stopped by the one luggage store we have in my little town today. They have several brands including B&R and Tumi. The sales dude said they send a lot of both back for service and B&R is more responsive and flexible. I told him them sending a lot back is not encouraging.

I asked my sister, a FA for a major airline, and she is going to ask around for me. But FAs don’t check their luggage and they don’t often put them in the overhead. Although used a lot, they are not abused much. Wheels and handle matter to them, along with price.

I sent a note to Club Glove via their website. I don’t identify with their marketing (“for the affluent traveler” “pro golfer”) and I know a lot of pro golfers also fly private jets - again a lot of use but low abuse. Anyway I asked about the zipper but didn’t get a helpful reply (cut and pasted what their web site already had), and they don’t have TSA locks either built in or separate.

Another frequent traveler went to the B&R international spinner and really likes the spinner. Others say you give up too much space in the bag and spinners are more likely to be broken, especially if checked. But he loves his and travels a lot domestic and international.

Still open to input although might eliminate Tumi.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #25
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

I don't think I could put this much thought, effort and research into choosing luggage but good luck with it
RickFLM410954.50
________4158.50
2000cs3495.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      10-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

My experience with B&R was very good until the luggage store / repair shop I used in Miami closed and the alternative shop was terrible. Shipping things for repairs sucks. The local store doesn't do warranty repairs for B&R?

Expect things to break once in a while regardless of brand. There is nothing infallible. Part of what you pay for with B&R and Tumi is quality but you are also paying for the warranty when something happens. If there isn't a good warranty repair process then I'd go cheaper and plan to replace more often.
2000cs3495.00
      10-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #27
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Check DVF Diane Von Furstenberg
      10-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #28
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I don't think I could put this much thought, effort and research into choosing luggage but good luck with it
It is such an infrequent purchase for me and bags seem expensive so I’m trying to understand features that matter and value/longevity/service. I really don’t want to screw around with baggage problems, sending it in for service, etc. So when I read a lot of reviews about failures (wheels, zippers and handles), I tend to move on.

I posted here because I wanted to hear from people who travel and use their bags often - similar to what I do. Travel sites that use the bag once or twice are interesting but long term use of bags available today (a bit of an oxymoron) is much more helpful.

I appreciate all of the comments and input. When I get a few days at home (got in at 10 today, heading out at 2) I will make a decision; meanwhile researching and reading opinions here is as good a way as any to kill some travel time.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
It is such an infrequent purchase for me and bags seem expensive so I’m trying to understand features that matter and value/longevity/service. I really don’t want to screw around with baggage problems, sending it in for service, etc. So when I read a lot of reviews about failures (wheels, zippers and handles), I tend to move on.

I posted here because I wanted to hear from people who travel and use their bags often - similar to what I do. Travel sites that use the bag once or twice are interesting but long term use of bags available today (a bit of an oxymoron) is much more helpful.

I appreciate all of the comments and input. When I get a few days at home (got in at 10 today, heading out at 2) I will make a decision; meanwhile researching and reading opinions here is as good a way as any to kill some travel time.
No, I get it, and it is admirable. At this point in my life, if I buy something (after a little research of course), and it doesn't work out, I just move on and go to something else. But that's just me.

good luck, looking forward to seeing what you choose
2000cs3495.00
      10-07-2018, 01:53 AM   #30
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

This one always gets me places real quick!

Appreciate 4
________4158.50
2000cs3495.00
RickFLM410954.50
      10-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #31
2000cs
Captain
Rep

I bought a Briggs and Riley Domestic expandable two-wheel carry on today. Looked closely (in person) at a couple of Tumi bags before deciding. But it was really between the B&R and the Club Glove. However I couldn’t see a CG in person and the price including a suiter was well over $200 more. Just couldn’t get there for the better CG fabric, especially with the B&R lifetime warranty.

I did check out every recommendation made in this thread and very much appreciate them all, and the comments.

Thanks!
Appreciate 4
________4158.50
RickFLM410954.50
wrickem2101.00
      10-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #32
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I travel almost weekly, sometimes 5 or 6 flights in a week. I have used B&R and Tom Bihn exclusively for the past several years (Tom Bihn more for briefcase, overnight stuff). I don't like spinners so all of my bags are carry-on or smaller uprights or duffel/shoulder carry bags. I do check the roller bags a fair amount, either because of items I can't carry on or just because I don't want to deal with it.

Tumi let me down on their warranty, saying they wouldn't fix a broken zipper because it "looked like it wasn't used correctly." B&R not only stood up better to my almost daily use - and I don't treat my bags gently at all - but they have not once turned down any of the repairs I've asked. Granted I've only had 3 repairs done over the years, but every time my bag comes back with not only the requested part fixed, but usually a bunch of other stuff tidied up, the outside cleaned, etc.

Another example of B&R service - I ordered a new briefcase via Amazon because I had a gift card and could avoid tax. Plus I wanted it for an upcoming trip. This meant I couldn't get the free monogram by ordering from B&R. I sent an email to B&R asking about it and they just mailed me a new monogrammed patch to install. No charge and no questions asked.

If you browse around some of the frequent flyer forums, you'll find a pretty dedicated B&R following among the premium luggage crowd, with others like TB, RedOxx, etc. Tumi OTOH gets mixed reviews.. And then there are plenty of folks who go with the cheap-and-disposable approach which is perfectly valid as well.
Appreciate 4
      10-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #33
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Heard a lot of great things about https://www.awaytravel.com/ from avid travelers. You can test their luggages risk free with their 100-day free trial.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3495.00
      10-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #34
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Heard a lot of great things about https://www.awaytravel.com/ from avid travelers. You can test their luggages risk free with their 100-day free trial.
Personally, I don't like spinners and I think some of the tech on there is gimmicky. But my biggest concern with AWAY is that their warranty isn't going to mean much if they go out of business in a year or two.

I do hope they succeed, but there's a slight buyer beware with that one. At that price point I feel like I should also be buying reliable warranty/repair service for many years to come.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #35
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I travel almost weekly, sometimes 5 or 6 flights in a week. I have used B&R and Tom Bihn exclusively for the past several years (Tom Bihn more for briefcase, overnight stuff).
My Tom Bihn is hands down the best daypack I have ever had. I now use it as an emergency pack in my vehicles as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0