BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-09-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb Former APPLE Employee (Management) Spills His Guts about Working There

Interesting read indeed...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/apple-e...192124288.html

Quote:
Apple employee quits his job, spills dirt on ‘what really goes on’ there

Working at Apple is a dream job for some but a nightmare for others, particularly those who value having free time. Via Business Insider, an ex-Apple employee named Ben Farrell recently quit his job at the company and penned a not-too-happy blog post about what it’s really like to work for the company. It goes without saying that Farrell, who “spent two years in the Apple camp managing customer service improvement for their technical support contact centers,” seems very happy to no longer be working at the company.

First, Farrell found the culture at Apple to not only be demanding but also rather petty and centered around trying to get others around you to fail so you could succeed.

“Sixteen hour days are filled with meetings after meetings followed by more meetings,” he writes. “Whilst this is somewhat standard in most organisations, meetings at Apple wreaked of toxic agendas designed to deliberately trip people up, make fools of the less respected and call people out. Team spirit is non existent as ‘internal customers’ attack individuals and push agendas that satisfy their morning egos. Hours upon hours were wasted in meetings to prepare for meetings in preparation for other meetings to the point where little work actually got done.”

That doesn’t sound healthy.

So what else did Farrell dislike about working at Apple? Here are some more relevant excerpts:

“Drinks with colleagues revolved around the same stories told again and again as drunken management spoke of times when Apple executives made ‘strategic’ decisions to cut jobs and shut down Apple sites so swiftly and carelessly. Like boy-scouts around a campfire, employees eyes would glow and twinkle at this notion of power and embrace these stories with awe but with utter disrespect for the actions Apple has on the broader community of contractors, vendors, partners, resellers and business partners they have bent over a barrel of non-profitability.”
“Sickness, family emergencies, and even weddings are given no respect at Apple. When I started my role I missed one business trip as my wife was pregnant, fell down the stairs and had to be hospitalised – this was listed as a ‘performance issue’ on my record and brought up during a one on one with management as a major ‘miss’ on my behalf.”
“Management were inconsistent, moody and erratic.
I’d often receive aggressive chats at all hours, and harassing texts every fifteen minutes asking “are you online? Your status shows you as away – are you there?”. I received rude voicemails on my phone when I was one minute late to a meeting and was harassed about my ‘Australian work ethic’ with management out of Singapore even commenting that Australians are ‘unfriendly’ and that we ‘only like to work with other Australians’.”

All told, Farrell sounds like he’ll be much better off working elsewhere.
He goes into even more detail and examples at the above link.
      04-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Just read the article this morning. As someone who really wants to work at Apple, the article made me question certain things. However, I doubt that his experience is representative of all employees (maybe only managers and execs).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

He better hope his name is not leaked out!

Dude just sold out his old employer...

While there probably is some truth in his statements, not worth risking potential future job prospects.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
fellationship
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

It also depends on the department. I can't imagine all departments are like this, but the description is very plausible. I have multiple friends, in various groups, working there. The common denominator between all my friends is that Apple works you like a dog.
Nights. Weekends. Holidays. It's all fair game.

And it's true about the social circles. You either full-on drink the "kool aid" or you get singled out as an outsider. It's almost like a cult.

Last edited by fellationship; 04-09-2015 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Just read the article this morning. As someone who really wants to work at Apple, the article made me question certain things. However, I doubt that his experience is representative of all employees (maybe only managers and execs).
Same here, i've bombed 2 Apple interviews in the past. After reading this i don't feel so bad. You're right though, probably not all departments are like this but like fellationship mentioned, it is very common for Apples, Google, etc to work the shyt out of you. Their motto is "Hire them young and energetic, work the shyt out of them, when they get older, replace them"
      04-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He better hope his name is not leaked out!
Wow, you didn't even make it through the second sentence lol

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
my boy Squish has ADD, give him a break!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
      04-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Lol, I skimmed it, my bad

I feel like an idiot, his name is all over the article
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I don't think it's really much of a story. Apple is a huge company, and there's not a company on Earth that doesn't have a disgruntled worker.

I'd still never buy one of their piece of shit products though, for completely unrelated reasons of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quite professional, it doesn't matter how much I dislike working for a specific company, I'm not going to go online and rant about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

If anyone knows anything about Steve Jobs, then this should *not* come as a surprise. I enjoy their products, but would not want to work there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Yeah, from what I've read, Steve Jobs was great at giving inspirational speeches as well as throwing chairs across offices.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #14
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

LOL. Welcome to corporate America. I'm sure working at Apple is tough and is hard work, but none of that stuff is abnormal. I've worked 10 years at a Fortune 50 and Fortune 10 company and can tell you first hand this crap happens all the time.

One person's anecdotal story about not getting to see his pregnant wife says more about him than the company. I have no doubt my company might view this as a "miss" or performance issue, but you an bet your ass I'm taking the time off if I need it. I have before. They can't fire him over that. He just wilted under pressure.

Yawner story.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Just read this boy's entire rant. He brought up his Australian work ethic. Funny: a good friend of mine, who is American, runs the Australian arm of a US company. This Australian work ethic seems to be incompatible with US work ethics, so I can see how this might have not worked for him being an Australian working at Apple in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

...don't care...this story and his departure will have ZERO effect my Apple stock 😊
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep
Drives: 121

Let me tell you this now.. IT:"S NOT ABOUT THE COMPANY.. IT"S ABOUT THE MANAGEMENT YOU WORK. You can work for google with shady management. You will feel pressure to leave the place. You can work in a tiny little shop with great management. You will want to retire there. I have worked for fortune 10, 100, 500, 1000... and at the end of the day.. Money is not the factor.. If your skills are valued, small companies will willing to match. The new trend is Start up companies where you are valued and treated like a partner
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #18
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
it's about circle jerks and face time (not the app).
      04-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

right it sounds really painful..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Apple is an enigma. Their hardware is cool, but becoming less so as they lock out the user's upgrading ability. They screw their loyal users (see previous statement), yet people stand in line for DAYS like dumb fish waiting for the next lure to break the surface. They hold a reputation for being the coolest guys on the block, yet it seems working there is anything but.

I use their hardware and have few complaints. I have a Mac Mini at work and at home, but both are running Windows 7 in Bootcamp. My laptop is a 13" MBP running Yosemite. My work monitor is a 27" Thunderbolt and it's awesome. And Yosemite is fast and does what I need it to do. But I wouldn't wait in line 5 minutes to get into an Apple store. I don't need anything that badly.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #21
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down

What is funny yet troubling, are some of the comments here in agreement or acceptance of this pitiful behavior on any level. Be it Small Business or Corporate.
Just because you happen to work for a Fortune 500 Co (woop te doo) what gives them (management, executive mgt, or other) right to verbally, socially, emotionally ABUSE it's employees/staff? That is some foul shit... Period. But the fact that some "accept it as normal" is just as troubling. If enough workers shed light and refused to be door mats for these companies, there would be change or they simply would not have "quality, qualified, productive employees" willing to stick around and take that abuse. I mean, there is NOTHING in this world more valuable and precious than TIME and FAMILY. At least not for me. If a workplace refuses to respect those very 'basic life values' then I don't want to have shit to do with them. No matter how much they compensate me. Which leads to another issue with society... Believing $$$ is the "Be All and End All". Sad existence if you ask me. But then again, I'm mid 40s and a family man. But even if I wasn't, my character refuses to be a 'slave to any company' that under values or even abuses me. Oh yeah... I've had my stint with the Chase's, Wells Fargo's, AT&T, and BofA's of the world. Sitting in on meetings, hearing profanity laced rants and empty praises heaped all around. I've walked out on plenty and finally realized I had to do my own shit because at the end of the day... You are simply a 'number' to these vampires. And if I didn't have the integrity, drive, and determination to go into business for myself nearly a decade ago now, I sure as hell wouldn't be working for some shysters like these guys. Fuk that.
      04-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #22
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I don't agree with the behavior but I agree that it's not at all uncommon.

Appreciate 0