BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

02-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #1
Pruzina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5M, M6, X5 5.0, 335i

N54 timing chain failure

Hi guys. So based on what I have read this is super uncommon but unfortunately it did happened yesterday to me.
2010 535i 158000 on the clock. Bought the car about month ago and it was in rough shape. I took care of all oil leaks misfires leaking injectors and usual stuff like that. Oil I drained and the filter looked like they were there centuries.
Anyway yesterday, when I was finally happy that the car is all fixed and drives nice and smooth no more misfires and hiccups of any kind, I made my biggest mistake. Stopped at the stop sign floor it (actually I don't think it was full throttle) and I don't think it even reach redline that was last moment of the engine ------------- dead. I knew right the way it's over.

Today I removed valve cover and found what I was expecting to find. The chain broke. I have no idea why exactly. I mean it was not the best idea I had in recent days to do this stunt but who doesn't do that once in a while in the middle of the night right.

Anyway the question is what now. Here are my options I would like some opinions.

1) sell the car as is (nobody wants car like this)
2) part it out (not the best option but not bad either)
3) buy/rebuild head (assuming the pistons are not damaged)
4) replace whole goddamn engine

I have never done any internal rebuild but I'm fearless and like chalanges.
BTW after this episode I will probably sell the car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzina View Post
Hi guys. So based on what I have read this is super uncommon but unfortunately it did happened yesterday to me.
2010 535i 158000 on the clock. Bought the car about month ago and it was in rough shape. I took care of all oil leaks misfires leaking injectors and usual stuff like that. Oil I drained and the filter looked like they were there centuries.
Anyway yesterday, when I was finally happy that the car is all fixed and drives nice and smooth no more misfires and hiccups of any kind, I made my biggest mistake. Stopped at the stop sign floor it (actually I don't think it was full throttle) and I don't think it even reach redline that was last moment of the engine ------------- dead. I knew right the way it's over.

Today I removed valve cover and found what I was expecting to find. The chain broke. I have no idea why exactly. I mean it was not the best idea I had in recent days to do this stunt but who doesn't do that once in a while in the middle of the night right.

Anyway the question is what now. Here are my options I would like some opinions.

1) sell the car as is (nobody wants car like this)
2) part it out (not the best option but not bad either)
3) buy/rebuild head (assuming the pistons are not damaged)
4) replace whole goddamn engine

I have never done any internal rebuild but I'm fearless and like chalanges.
BTW after this episode I will probably sell the car anyway.
Well, you did the most complicated part already which is removing the valve cover. Like you said, assuming there is no other residual damage, replacing the timing chain and guide, seems to be the cheapest and easiest option.

There are plenty of DIYs out there on how to do it, and if you're just replacing the timing chain is not overly complex except for some tools that you probably do not already own.

You wouldn't really know if there is other damage unless you do a tear down.
Appreciate 0