BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #45
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I still think you should buy stocks. I just made $2.4K just today alone! All you need is money to make more money, and $250K is enough to get started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
There are people that make $250k a day.....but what if you loose? Aren't markets over inflated now anyway?
Bimmer - how long have you been trading? You bought and sold to make $2400 minus the capital gains... Or your portfolio increased $2400? I remember thinking I could "just" buy low sell high, do technical analysis with multiple charts to see which stocks to buy with multiple outs (such as hold for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, hour, or a day), etc...etc... At the end of the day, when times are good, times are good. When times are bad,... And just remember, when one person is losing money in the stock, someone is making money. People talk about how bad the great recession was, but there were so many people out there making money buying everything at steep discounts. Those with money make money, those leveraged will make money in a boom economy and if they leverage too much, they bust with everyone else. Greed is a hell of a drug.

@OP what does good investment look like? Sit there and make $50k/yr passively? $250k/yr working it?

I see a lot of families owning hotels, liquor stores, and gas stations. Do you want to work one or hire someone to manage it? Like someone mentioned with certain jobs, it's hard to hire quality dependable people with strong work ethic.

Laundromat? This is a photo after my friend Fiona bought a laundromat.

Luckily, she was able to get out with a small profit when a neighborhood developer came through.

shoei is right- In the late 90s, If I was to tell people that a box would bring down Blockbuster, people would laugh in my face. If I was to tell people at Microsoft that they shouldn't invest one penny into a online encyclopedia because a free "user contributed" place would waste their money, people would laugh. Wikipedia isn't laughing.
That day was a couple of days ago. I just buy and hold and the value of my stock went up by that amount so no capital gains. Over the past year or so my stock has gone up about 37 percent. I did do some buying and selling but I believe the wash rule applies from selling one stock and buying another with the proceeds. I'll have to see what my taxes look like this year to see how it plays out.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      04-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #46
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
@OP what does good investment look like? Sit there and make $50k/yr passively? $250k/yr working it?
Prefer for it to be passive. Don't have a lot of time to manage something every day. Crazy story about your friend. I guess everything has its down side.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      04-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #47
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Prefer for it to be passive. Don't have a lot of time to manage something every day. Crazy story about your friend. I guess everything has its down side.
I like passive income too. I also have a day job, so my stock markets earnings are icing on the cake. There are many days my "passive income" actually well exceeds my income at my day job. Which is why I don't have the word's highest paying job, I intend to generate most of my wealth through investing in the future. The day job is something to do during the day and is a steady and more stable income. I use it for day to day expenses. It also comes with decent benefits, stuff I don't have to pay for out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #48
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

OP - buy a car wash. Open 24/7 and makes money all year round....

Or better yet - a parking deck. I financed a parking deck for a R/E developer on a vacant lot in Charlotte, NC and this thing made so much cash....

He'd rent the spaces out daily from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM - then rent to long term parking at night for folks that worked in the city M-F or lived in condos downtown...

362 spaces turning on average $40 daily, plus the LTP....I loaned him $4mm to acquire this property and it covered the debt at 2:1!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #49
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
OP - buy a car wash. Open 24/7 and makes money all year round....

Or better yet - a parking deck. I financed a parking deck for a R/E developer on a vacant lot in Charlotte, NC and this thing made so much cash....

He'd rent the spaces out daily from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM - then rent to long term parking at night for folks that worked in the city M-F or lived in condos downtown...

362 spaces turning on average $40 daily, plus the LTP....I loaned him $4mm to acquire this property and it covered the debt at 2:1!!
Funny you mentioned that. IMO parking lots are one of the most profitable businesses as it doesn't require much upkeep. Main issue is that land around here costs a fortune. Anywhere that has a lot of traffic would cost an insane amount of money in the Bay Area.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #50
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

That deck was underground - and built to support 35 floors above the deck. The original plan was to build the deck and condos - then the R/E crash hit and the project stopped.

My borrower bought this out of foreclosure and proceeded to sell the air right to a dual flagged hotel.

Smart enough to retain ownership of the parking deck (Condo deceleration) so they could lease the deck back to the Hotel developer....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      04-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #51
capo180
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

I'd like to do a car wash one day myself. Just need a lot of capital which I don't have. Just stashing everything in stocks right now until hopefully one day I'll find something to get me out of the rat race.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #52
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Ok - an hour later I am back from looking at all of these different businesses.

You guys ever drive by a furniture store and know that it will be gone in a couple years only to see that idea come to fruition. Then, another furniture store pops up in the same place and the process repeats itself.

Do these business owners make money, dump it, and invest in other things, or are these small businesses closing down showing that people had a bad idea and are suffering?

Sometimes, I can't believe people open up some businesses that they invest in.

ok back to looking at more businesses for sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #53
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

You'd be nuts to pass this up

https://www.bizbuysell.com/Start-Up-...ZCR2x5UFRFJTNk

Guaranteed yearly ROI!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #54
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Ok - an hour later I am back from looking at all of these different businesses.

You guys ever drive by a furniture store and know that it will be gone in a couple years only to see that idea come to fruition. Then, another furniture store pops up in the same place and the process repeats itself.

Do these business owners make money, dump it, and invest in other things, or are these small businesses closing down showing that people had a bad idea and are suffering?

Sometimes, I can't believe people open up some businesses that they invest in.

ok back to looking at more businesses for sale.
There's actually a simple explanation behind it...

Money laundering...
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00