BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

11-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Sporty watch

I have a Breitling but don't want to wear that when I'm working outside, at the gym, or on a bike ride.

My dad bought a Suunto as his sports watch and I like it. Any Suunto models you recommend? Or perhaps other watches? Do not necessarily need GPS.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Depends on your price. I recently bought a luminox for my brother and he lives it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

MTM
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
SDf10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 YMB M3

Steinhart triton on rubber, Lum tec watches are also great.
      12-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

can't go wrong with G-Shocks..

Suunto's are nice.. i like the Suunto Core's
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
can't go wrong with G-Shocks..

Suunto's are nice.. i like the Suunto Core's
Just looked at the Core All Black. A very nice watch! I like the fact that it has a thermometer.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

I have the Suunto Core Military (all black) that used to wear in the field (I work in Afghanistan as a contractor), but then I gave up on it and just wear my Sub as a daily watch. I don't wear a watch in the gym. I use the wall clocks there.

The Core is pretty cool though. I use it when I fly in helicopters, so I can track movement with compass and altimeter. A lot of people have problems with the buckle and bracelet breaking on it, but mine is in perfect condition.
      12-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
karlmax1103
Registered
Rep
Drives: awesome

i think you can just bought a simple,off brand one,like this.i own one,performs perfect
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

I have a used Meister I am selling cheap if you are interested

looks like this one:
      12-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have a Breitling but don't want to wear that when I'm working outside, at the gym, or on a bike ride.

...Any Suunto models you recommend? Or perhaps other watches? Do not necessarily need GPS.
I don't know a thing about Sunnto, besides recognizing the name.

Gym:
I advise not wearing one during one's workout. If one must have a timer of some sort, go with something worn around the neck on a string (put it inside your shirt while jumping/jogging/bouncing around) -- most probably a stopwatch is what I'd suggest. Why? Well, first off, have you ever seen a gymnast wearing a watch while practicing or performing? Any other professional or collegiate athlete performing a physical sport?
  • Damage to the watch
  • Restriction of wrist movement and possibly blood flow to your wrist
  • Possible cuts/abrasion of your wrist by the crown
Bike riding:
Do you have some specific timing need besides knowing the time of day? If not any watch will do. Otherwise, a chronograph is likely the best choice. There are tons of chronos and they all work as advertised. I assume you are a vigorous, rough mountain biker for road biking wouldn't typically lead to any roughness that could affect the watch. Personally, I'd suggest something quartz as there are no moving parts to be affected by the vibrations of rough mountain biking. Any quartz that suits your liking will do. The one on the string suggested above would probably do fine so long as the trip isn't longer than the capability of the stopwatch. Another alternative is a watch/timer mounted on your handlebars.

Working outside:
Again, not knowing what your budget and specific needs are -- timing something, wanting an alarm to let you know when to stop, etc -- it's hard to suggest something specific. Quartz is what I'd suggest offhand because they can offer a variety of functions inexpensively; mechanical alarm watches from well recognized makers are quite pricey most of the time (well above your Breitling), though vintage and Russian ones can be had at sensible prices. The vintage ones will be dressier for the most part. Otherwise, again, if it's just a matter of telling time, you have a ton of choices in both the mechanical and quartz realms. Many folks like dive watches because they are quite often reasonably priced, have good lume and are durable by design and purpose. Among dive watches, I like Deep Blue. They offer very sensibly priced pieces and even their Fleet Admiral chrono is well priced.

So, suggesting just one watch for all uses, I'd go with something from Deep Blue.

Deep Blue Fleet Admiral: (~$600 - several colors available) Swap out the strap for a bracelet if that suits you better.

Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional (~$600)

Deep Blue Alpha Marine (~500)

Deep Blue Pro Aqua (~$500 - multiple dial colors available)

Deep Blue Master (~$400)

Deep Blue Sea Ram (~$300 - quartz)

Deep Blue have several other models as well. Most are priced below $600 and one is priced below $200. They also offer a wide range of bracelets and straps, including rubber, silicon, metal and cloth.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i wear a watch almost all the time but wouldnt wear on any of those occasions. i like the suunto but the case size is pretty huge.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

cant go wrong with a AP ROO
      12-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The quartz Sinns filled with oil are really meant for diving, but would make for a pretty beefy sports watch if you really wanted to:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
If he doesn't want to wear his Breitling during those times then I highly doubt that he would want to wear a ROO.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I had no clue what that was until I searched for it. Ha.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, function or fashion. You need to time anything or just want to know the time? For exercise (running, biking, swimming, gym, etc.) and in the yard my wife and I use a Timex Ironman watches. Waterproof, durable, pretty cheap, lots of lap, chronograph, etc. features. For this watch I don't care a lot about how it looks and can't see any benefit of the $500 watch over the $60. Same reason I wear functional clothes and shoes at the gym, when running, or when in the yard, but don't worry about trying to look good.

We also both have GPS watches, I have a Timex, she a Garmin but unless you run I can't see a reason to get one. They are bigger, have less features, short battery life (recharging frequently) and more expensive. I have used my Timex GPS on the bike but the bike computers work just as well for a lot less money and hassle (recharge). I normally wear the watch on the bike even though there is a computer. For running the GPS is great.
      12-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #17
TD78
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNLBC View Post
I have a used Meister I am selling cheap if you are interested

looks like this one:
How much?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
Fazerfahrer
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d touring F31, Z4 35is E89

Garage List
http://www.icewatch-uhr.de/images/pr...ages/373_0.jpg
      12-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I had no clue what that was until I searched for it. Ha.
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have to disagree with you on that. Had I known when I bought it what I know now, I'd have got the VC Overseas.

Intrinsically, as a fine watch, there is nothing wrong with an AP RO or ROO. I have the RO and it's lovely, very well made, very beautiful, lot's of pedigree and super classy looking. It's an important watch to have if one is collecting seminal watches from major top tier makers. It's 1970s design aesthetic is quite trendy right now, as well it should be as it's one of the few things from that era that was well designed visually.

What's wrong with the thing is that it wears far bigger and heavier than anyone would ever think it should. It's not uncomfortable, mind you, but it's a definite presence on the wrist, even more so, IMO, than any Rolex Oyster cased watch except maybe the Milgauss. Also, it's look -- especially the bracelet -- gives "dressy," yet it's not a dress watch. It's lume isn't stellar by any means. It's dual finish bracelet, though gorgeous, is going to show wear more than would a simple all brushed design. Lastly, I don't think it's a particularly tough movement running it. It's quite reliable, and of excellent quality and finish, but I wouldn't put it through too much punishment.

I say this as the owner too of a Sub and a Breguet Marine (I keep it on a bracelet, but I have the blue rubber strap too). I'd sooner wear the Marine anytime I might opt to wear the AP RO just because it's more stylish and timelessly so. I also feel it a more durable piece. As for the Sub, it's just a tougher, work a day watch than either. It's clearly a sports watch whereas the other two straddle the line between semi-dress and dress.

I didn't get a sense that the OP wanted to tool around -- biking, gardening, working out -- in a top end watch. If that's what he wants, it's a no brainer: Rolex Sub or just about anybody's dive watch.

On the sliding scale of price points, I'd suggest Obris Morgan for something even less expensive than Deep Blue I suggested above. Squale would be another candidate, especially if one wants a Submariner look. Stepping up a notch above Deep blue, Sinn or Steinhardt. Next step up, UTS or Aquadive entry level watches. After that, Omega Seamaster and then a Sub. Above the Sub, I'd probably go VC Overseas, JLC Master Compressor or Breguet Marine. I'll give a nod to the PP Nautilus, but I really, really don't think he was asking for anything of that caliber.

The crazy thing about watches is that if straight up durability and toughness under all conditions is what one must have, the best choices aren't usually the most expensive ones. The pricey ones will take a reasonable amount of beating, but if/when they break they aren't cheap to repair. Not so with the less expensive ones which in just about any situation will take just as much of a thrashing, sometimes more, before failing/breaking.

All the best.

Obris Morgan -- if you must wear a watch during lifting int he gym, I think the first OM pictured below will at least have a crown that won't press against your bent back wrist as you perform various exercises.

UTS - various straps and bracelets are available

Squale - lots of styles all reasonably priced.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #21
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD78 View Post
How much?
$75 maybe? PM me if you're interested. Ill get you better pics
      12-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
I have the all black Luminox and get plenty of compliments on it...esp from the ladies